Skip to Main Content
2023-2024 University Catalog
threeColumn catalog

College of Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Academic Policies

Degree Evaluation and Dean’s Hold

Upon receiving the letter of transfer admissions to UNF or upon earning 60 credit hours as a lower division UNF native student, all students must arrange to meet with an academic advisor to obtain a Degree Evaluation. Students will receive an advising hold on their account upon admissions to UNF. This hold will be removed during the initial advising appointment.

^ Go to top

Transfer Hours

The College of Arts and Sciences will only accept the transfer of upper-level courses from regionally accredited institution s , and only with the prior approval of the appropriate Department Chair. Students must provide a syllabus for each individual course; the Department Chair will decide, based on a review of learning outcomes, if the standards of equivalency have been met. All courses approved for transfer must have a grade of “C” or better (unless higher grades are specified by the academic major). Transfer is limited to 6 credit hours or 2 courses within the major (this includes all core, major requirements and major electives found on your degree evaluation) unless from an approved study abroad program or unless the Department Chair seeks a policy exception. For additional information please contact your Academic Advisor.

^ Go to top  

Credit Validation for Course Work Completed more than Ten Years Ago

The College of Arts and Sciences requires that a student who has taken courses for his/her major more than ten years prior to the completion of a baccalaureate degree program must petition the chair of his/her major department to validate these courses before Academic Advising will apply them toward the student’s fulfillment of degree requirements. (In some cases, departments may require students to petition for validation of courses -- such as those in the natural sciences, languages, music, or art-- that are more than three years old. A placement exam may also be given to determine level of knowledge.) This policy applies to courses taken at UNF and elsewhere; all transfer courses always go to the major department chair for approval in the form of a course syllabus, but those that were taken more than ten years prior to the completion of the degree must be re-approved by the department chair.


^ Go to top

Admissions from a Non-Degree or Special Student Status for COAS Majors

Students seeking a bachelor’s degree from the College of Arts and Sciences should meet all admission deadlines and policies to enroll as degree-seeking students. Students who are permitted to register as non-degree/non-admitted students or special students (see Admissions section of catalog for policies and procedures) may apply to degree seeking status after one semester. No more than 12 credit hours (or one semester) earned as a non-degree/non-admitted student or special student may be transferred to an undergraduate degree program in the College of Arts and Sciences.

^ Go to top

Students Admitted with less than 2.0 Grade Point Average

Students given special admissions to major in the College of Arts and Sciences with a GPA below 2.0 are automatically placed on academic probation. Conditions for probation are outlined by the Chairperson for the major department and must be satisfied by the end of the first semester as a major in the College to avoid suspension.

^ Go to top

Completion of General Education before Senior Year

The College of Arts and Sciences will require native and transfer students to complete ALL general education deficiencies before earning 90 overall hours, including transfer hours. Students are informed of general education deficiencies upon meeting with an advisor. Students who defer completion of general education may be placed on hold until their deficiencies have been satisfied.

^ Go to top

First Day Attendance Policy

Students must attend the first day of each enrolled class during any given semester. All academic departments in the College of Arts and Sciences have the right to administratively withdraw any student who fails to attend the first day of class or who fails to notify the academic department chairperson in advance if a class is to be missed.

^ Go to top

Cultural Diversity Policy

Cultural diversity course offerings are listed each semester in the online schedule. Culture diversity courses (unless indicated with a “FC” prefix) may not satisfy the College of Arts & Sciences Foreign Culture requirement.

Foreign Language/Foreign Culture Requirement for Bachelor of Arts Majors

Before being certified to graduate, all Bachelor of Arts majors in the College of Arts and Sciences must complete the Foreign Language/Foreign Culture requirement. Students who have completed two years of a foreign language in high school are still required to complete the Arts and Sciences Foreign Language/Foreign Culture requirement.

Students may complete this requirement by choosing one of the following options. All courses must be completed with grades of "C" or above.1. Study of a Foreign LanguageEight semester hours of a sequential foreign language at the introductory levelor -2. Demonstrated proficiency in a foreign language equivalent to at least 8 semester hours at the introductory level. Students may prove proficiency in a foreign language through successful scores on the foreign language area of the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP). To prove proficiency in a heritage language other than English, students must submit a valid high school academic transcript from their home country.or-3. Students who have completed two years of a foreign language in high school are still required to complete the Arts and Sciences Foreign Language/Foreign Culture requirement. Incoming students with prior experience in French or Spanish must take a placement exam. Students who place above the beginning level will satisfy this requirement by earning a “C” or above (Students who place beyond the beginning level in French, Spanish or Chinese may be eligible for retroactive credit as per the department retroactive credit policy.
4. Study of 6 semester hours of foreign culture courses that have the FC designation in the course title. A list of foreign culture courses is available each semester in the Advising Office, Building 51, Room 2500.
5. Eight semester hours of American Sign Language.

^ Go to top

Double Counting Foreign Culture Courses

Courses may be taken to fulfill both a foreign culture requirement and towards the major or minor requirements. Students minoring in International Studies may only double count one foreign culture course. Cultural diversity courses may not double count to satisfy the Foreign Culture requirement. A list of approved Foreign Culture courses are found in the College of Arts & Sciences Advising Office each semester. Grades of “C” or above required in all foreign culture courses.


What is a Foreign Culture Course?

The common goal of both foreign language and foreign culture courses is that students begin to think from a point of view beyond that of their own culture. In gaining an appreciation of the many ways humans live together, adapt to their environment, and express their values and aspirations, we also develop new insight into our own culture. The study of foreign languages gives us the key to another culture. Fluency provides direct access to the cultural, intellectual, technical and economic heritage of peoples beyond our own small circles. Foreign culture courses explore one or several cultures in depth, including the perspective of the people themselves. These courses are interdisciplinary in that culture is interpreted broadly — with aspects ranging from the economic to the religious — and emphasizing the culture’s internal diversity. Students will have the opportunity to compare other cultures to their own.

^ Go to top

Double Majors within the College of Arts and Sciences

At the discretion of individual departments, specific courses may double count to satisfy requirements for either degree. The number of courses that can double count may be limited for interdisciplinary majors such as International Studies.

  1. All double majors must complete the foreign language/foreign culture requirement, prerequisites, major requirements, major electives, capstone/internship requirements (if applicable) and any outstanding general education requirements for both majors with grades of “C” or above (or whatever grade policy either major specifies).
  2. Double majors do not have to complete a minor.
  3. A minimum of 120 overall credit hours must be completed (at least 48 hours must be upper level.)
  4. Once the degree has been awarded in the double majors, subsequent course work cannot be added to create a second degree as a post-baccalaureate or master’s student.
  5. Double majors must be declared by visiting the Academic Advising Office in Building 51, Room 2500.

^ Go to top

Simultaneous/Dual Degrees Across Colleges

Students in the College of Arts and Sciences may pursue two simultaneous/dual undergraduate degrees across colleges if the second college agrees to the arrangement. A simultaneous or dual degree student is defined as one who completes requirements for two different degrees simultaneously whether in the same college or across colleges, i.e. earning a B.F.A. degree while also earning a B.A. degree, etc.

Note: The College of Education and Human Services will not allow simultaneous/dual majors in any education major. Requirements for the simultaneous/dual degree are as follows:1. Students must complete all requirements for both degrees with grades of “C” or above (or whatever grade point average is required for both simultaneous/dual majors). Students do not need to fulfill the required minor when pursuing a dual degree, if a minor was required of their COAS degree. 2. All specific graduation requirements for both majors must be completed, including the foreign language/foreign culture requirement, any internships, prerequisites, etc. 3. At the discretion of individual departments, specific courses may double count to satisfy requirements for either degree. The number of courses that can double count may be limited for interdisciplinary majors such as International Studies. 4. The simultaneous/dual major must be declared by visiting the Academic Advising Office in Building 51, Room 2500. 5. Students must meet with both academic advisors to obtain Degree Evaluations for both simultaneous/dual majors.>Note: Declared simultaneous/dual majors who decide to return to a single undergraduate major cannot later use the courses taken for the second major towards completion of a post-baccalaureate or master’s degree once the first undergraduate degree has been awarded.

^ Go to top

Students Pursuing Both the Bachelor of Arts in Art (All Concentrations) and the Bachelor of Fine Arts (All Concentrations)

Art concentrations are only specialties within the major. Students MAY NOT enroll in more than one B.A. in Art or B.F.A. in Fine Arts concentration. Instead, students may complete the B.A. in one major while simultaneously completing the B.F.A. in the other major. Students needing more clarification about this policy should consult their academic advisor. Students should be aware that all areas of the major, including the minor, contextual and the foreign language/foreign culture requirement required in the B.A. degree, must be completed with grades of “C” or above. Courses may not double count towards completion of either major or minor. Individual courses are needed for each requirement.

^ Go to top

Concurrent Enrollment and Transient Enrollment

Students planning to enroll in courses in transient at another State of Florida public university, community college or college must complete the Transient Form through Students must first set up a pin number in order to access the Florida Shines website. A pin number may be requested through the Facts Pin Management system found in Student Self-Service through myWings. A final official transcript must be forwarded to One Stop Student Services upon completion of all transient courses. Enrollment at a private or out-of-state university or college will require completion of the hard copy UNF Concurrent Enrollment form prior to enrolling in the transfer course. Only courses which are degree applicable can be approved.

Students may NOT take courses at another institution in their final semester at UNF. This includes online, distance learning, correspondence courses and CLEP examinations. Students who risk taking courses during their final semester will need to provide official transcripts to One Stop Student Services by the last date of the semester. Students whose transcripts are not received by the deadline published for the semester of graduation will not be granted an extension of the deadline and must reapply for the next term’s graduation.  

^ Go to top

CLEP Credit

Students desiring to satisfy general education, prerequisite requirements or other acceptable lower level requirements using the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) must obtain the approval of their-academic advisor. Students should be aware that the CLEP does not award upper level credit.

^ Go to top

Prerequisites and Corequisites

(Prerequisite = taken before; corequisite = taken at the same time.) Students must complete all prerequisites required for individual courses and major programs. All prerequisites require grades of "C" or above. Faculty have discretionary authority to dismiss any student from a course who has not completed necessary course prerequisites. Fees will not be refunded for dismissal from a course by an instructor due to lack of required prerequisites or corequisites unless it occurs during the week of Drop/Add.

^ Go to top

Incomplete Grades

Faculty in the College of Arts and Sciences are not required to give incomplete ("I") grades. If an "I" is assigned, a substantial portion of the course work must have been completed with a passing grade. The time limit to remove an "I" grade is determined by the faculty but cannot exceed one academic year or graduation, whichever comes first. After the allotted time has run out, all incomplete grades turn to "F’s" which are calculated in the cumulative grade point average. Students may not re-register for any course in which an incomplete grade was received but must arrange to participate in the course by approval of the faculty teaching the course in which the "I" was received. Students may not graduate with outstanding "I" grades whether or not the course is needed for graduation.

^ Go to top

Overload Policy

Students who desire to register for 21 or more credit hours during any term will need electronic overload approval from the College of Arts and Sciences Dean’s Office via a Waiver of University Policy . A cumulative UNF GPA of 3.0 or above will be required before overload approval is granted.

^ Go to top

Change of Major

Students interested in changing to a major in the College of Arts and Sciences must first possess a 2.0 cumulative GPA. Students should review the UNF catalog to determine major options and the requirements for any majors of interest. Exploratory students should arrange to meet with a Career Counselor in the Office of Career Services to explore major and career options. Majors may also be explored on-line at UNF Career Services. Once the major is decided, you will need to meet with your academic advisor to submit an official change of major request. Please note that there are restrictions for change of majors for seniors (with 90 or more credit hours completed). See this link for more information: Degree Progression and Change of Major Policy.

^ Go to top

Declaration of Concentrations and Minors

Majors in Art, Biology, Chemistry, Communication, Fine Arts, Music, Philosophy, Physics and Political Science must declare a concentration (see list of concentrations in the department section). Students pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree must declare a minor selected from the approved list of minors. Concentrations and minors may be officially declared by meeting with an academic advisor. Students may declare multiple minors with approval of their advisor but may not  declare multiple concentrations.

^ Go to top

Suspension Policy

Students who do not satisfy the conditions of academic probation may be placed on a first academic suspension for a period of one academic semester. Release from suspension will require the approval of the department chairperson after a mandatory meeting with the College's Suspension Review Committee. The Suspension Review Committee will make a recommendation to the department chairperson on whether to continue suspension or reinstate probation. Students continued on probation will need to arrange an advising session with an Academic Advisor to obtain an updated Degree Evaluation. However, the Department chairperson has the option to deny re-admissions to the major if the GPA is too low.

Students who receive a second academic suspension action may not be eligible to take courses for a period of two semesters. A third academic suspension action results in a year’s suspension. A year’s academic suspension will break UNF’s "continuous enrollment" policy and will require re-admissions to UNF through One Stop Student Services. Students who attempt to return to UNF after being suspended for a year will require review by the academic department and are not guaranteed re-admissions to the major.

^ Go to top

Former Students Returning Not in Good Standing

Former students not in good standing must file a request for re-admissions in One Stop Student Services 10 weeks prior to the deadline for re-admissions for the term they wish to enroll.

^ Go to top


In order to qualify for graduation, undergraduate students must earn a minimum of 120 credit hours with at least 48 upper hours. All applicable Gordon Rule, prerequisite, requisite, general education, major, minor, contextual, capstone/internships (if applicable), and foreign language/foreign culture requirements (if applicable), must be completed with grades of "C" or above. Post-Baccalaureate students must earn a minimum of 30 upper level hours and complete all prerequisites, major requirements, major electives, and capstone/internship requirements (if applicable) with grades of "C" or above.

Students must a pply for graduation (at the beginning of their final semester) by the date advertised in Osprey Update and the <a="UNF Academic Calendar" href="">Academic Calendar . You may apply online in myWings by signing into Student Self-Service, then selecting Student Records, then Graduation Application. If you are applying after the deadline, please see your academic advisor to complete a paper Graduation Application. Failure to apply for graduation on time may result in your receiving a reduced number of commencement tickets, affect your ability to graduate that term, and can result in a delay in receiving your diploma.

Arts and Sciences majors may not take courses at other institutions during the semester of graduation. Special exceptions, such as relocation of students who are subject to military obligations, may be reviewed by petition by the Arts and Sciences Dean’s Office. All final official transcripts must be received and processed in One Stop Student Services prior to the final day of the semester of graduation. If official transcripts are not received by the deadline, students must reapply for the following term of graduation.

^ Go to top