Skip to Main Content
Dean of Students Office

Frequently Asked Questions for Student Conduct

Below are the most frequently asked questions related to the general student conduct process. This is not an exhaustive list of questions that are asked regarding the process, and we encourage you to look at the other FAQ tabs for additional questions. If your specific question is not answered, please reach out to the Dean of Students Office.

General FAQs

  • When should I submit a Student Conduct Referral?

    All referrals should be made within a reasonable time following the discovery of the alleged Student Code of Conduct violation, and no later than 12 months after the discovery, except in extraordinary circumstances and cases. A representative of the University Conduct team may request additional information concerning the incident or prior misconduct history from other appropriate persons or offices.

    Please remember a referral to the Dean of Students Office if NOT a replacement for calling University Police or requesting emergency services. If you are experiencing an emergency, or immediate risk to life or property, please dial 9-1-1 or UPD at (904) 620 – 2800.

    If you believe there has been a Title IX or sexual misconduct violation, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity & Inclusion or submit the Discrimination and Title IX Reporting Form.

  • How do I file a Student Conduct Referral?
  • What information should I include in a referral?

    The Student Conduct Referral Report Form will contain instructions throughout the form to guide you in its completion. The following information is required to be disclosed in the referral:

    • Date of incident
    • Location of Incident
    • Involved parties (students, faculty, staff, witness, organization, etc.)
    • Areas of concern related to the Student Code of Conduct
    • A summary of the incident with as much information as possible
    • If law enforcement responded
    • If another UNF department or office responded
  • Who can submit a conduct referral?

    Conduct referrals can be submitted by students, faculty or staff, the University Police Department, a community member, or interested party to UNF. Conduct referrals can also be submitted anonymously; however, this can potentially limit the Dean of Students Office from appropriately responding to an incident.

  • Does the Student Code of Conduct apply when students are not on campus?

    The University reserves the right to impose discipline based on any student's conduct, regardless of location, that may adversely affect the University community. The processes for adjudicating violations of State and Federal law and of the Student Code of Conduct are separate and may be pursued independently of one another.

  • What happens after the referral is submitted?

    DOS will review the referral to determine whether there is a reasonable cause to believe the Student Code of Conduct has been violated. If so, the student will be sent a Notice of Charges letter addressing the Student Code of Conduct violations and will be notified on how to proceed with a hearing.

    DOS may contact the individual who reported the incident to ask questions about the incident and clarify information. The conduct process is outlined on the Behavioral Conduct Process Sumamry page and in the Student Code of Conduct.

  • What will I be requested to do if the student is charged with violations of the Student Code of Conduct?

    As the reporting party or complainant, you may be requested to attend a meeting to share additional information or attend a Hearing as a witness to provide information and answer questions. All witness participation is voluntary in the throughout the conduct process. Both the hearing body and the charged student can ask witnesses questions during the hearing. The hearing format will either be handled administratively (with one Hearing Administrator facilitating the Student Conduct Hearing) or through a Student Conduct Panel (with Student panel members and Staff and/or Faculty panel members facilitating the Student Conduct Hearing). In the event that the referring person is listed as a victim on the report for violations of endangerment, harassment, or sexual misconduct, the victim would have additional rights (detailed in Students Rights and Resources) throughout the process.

  • What is FERPA?

    FERPA stands for the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. This is a federal law which affords students certain rights in respect to their educational records, including privacy of their disciplinary records.

  • Who can view a student’s disciplinary record?

    Only the student may view their disciplinary record. Students may independently authorize other individuals to review all their educational records through signed authorization.

  • Can the University disclose student’s records without their written and signed consent?

    The University can disclose student records under the following circumstances:

    • The student is under the age of 18,
    • To a school official where there is a “legitimate educational interest,”
    • To another institution where the student is seeking enrollment,
    • To the Department of Education or state/local educational authorities (to meet legal requirements),
    • To receive financial aid,
    • To state/local officials as specified by law,
    • To organizations doing student on behalf of the University to improve instruction, administer student aid, or develop predictive tests,
    • To accrediting agencies,
    • To parents of dependent students (as defined by the IRS),
    • For a health or safety emergency,
    • To the alleged victim of a crime of violence (information from a disciplinary proceeding),
    • To parents of a student under 21 for violations of the University’s Alcohol and Drug Policy, and
    • Disclosure of “directory information” when the student has not restricted access to their information.
  • Where can I learn more about FERPA?

    For more information, please visit UNF One Stop’s FERPA page and the U.S. Department of Education FERPA website.

Student FAQs

  • Why did I receive an email from Maxient requesting that I contact your office?

    Your name or organization was listed in a conduct referral form submitted to the Dean of Students Office. The Maxient letter can be retrieved using your UNF credentials and explains if you are being asked to contact us about a hearing, witness or investigation meeting, or any other part of the conduct process.

  • Does the Student Code of Conduct apply when students are not on campus?

    The University reserves the right to impose discipline based on any student's conduct, regardless of location, that may adversely affect the University community. The processes for adjudicating violations of State and Federal law and of the Student Code of Conduct are separate and may be pursued independently of one another.

  • How do I schedule a Pre-Disciplinary Hearing Review with your office?

    You can call the Dean of Students Office at (904) 620-1491 or email us at to schedule your 30-minute meeting. All information discussed during the review meeting will also be shared during your assigned or chosen hearing option.

  • What happens if I do not attend the scheduled Administrative Hearing in my Notice of Charges letter?

    For behavioral misconduct, if a student does not attend their pre-scheduled administrative hearing or complete the Hearing Selection/Confirmation Form, then a Panel Hearing will be scheduled on the student’s behalf per the UNF Student Code of Conduct.

  • What is the Hearing Selection/Confirmation Form?

    For behavioral misconduct, the Hearing Selection/Confirmation Form is an online form students are required to fill out prior to a disciplinary hearing with the University Conduct team. This form includes the following:

    • Information related to FERPA;
    • The ability to confirm or change your chosen resolution method;
    • The ability to change the meeting date and time;
    • Acknowledgements related to the Notice of Charges Letter; and
    • A waiver should you wish to schedule earlier
  • Can I bring an advisor/attorney with me to any disciplinary meeting?

    All students have the right to bring one advisor with them during any part of the conduct process. This advisor may be anyone the student chooses, including an attorney, so long as the advisor is not part of the conduct process is any other capacity. For more information about the Advisor’s role, please review the Advisor Role and Rules of Decorum page. Students are also required to inform the University Conduct team 48 hours in advance if they plan to be accompanied by an advisor, and notification is through the Advisor Notification Form.

  • Can I bring witnesses to my Hearing or provide other documentation?

    You may bring witnesses and additional documentation to your Hearing. Should you want to use witnesses or additional documentation for your hearing, you will be required to submit the Case Documentation Submission Form at least 48 hours prior to your hearing.

  • Will my parent/guardian be contacted about my case? What happens if they ask questions?

    In some cases, the University Conduct Team will contact a parent or guardian, typically through a Parental Notification Letter. This normally occurs during incidents involving underage alcohol or drug use or general incidents regarding legal or illegal drug use. For more information on this, please refer to the University’s Alcohol and Other Drugs Policy

    However, your disciplinary record is covered under FERPA, and while your parent/guardian may be notified of your responsibility after your conduct case has been heard, we are not allowed to share the details of your case or your record. The University Conduct Team can answer general process related questions, but we cannot provide any additional information unless you have provided written consent through the Advisor Notification Form.

  • What happens if my parent/guardian contacts the Office regarding my case?

    The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law which affords students certain rights in respect to their educational records. The intent of FERPA is to protect the privacy of students and their records.

    Students must independently authorize other individuals, such as parents, to review all of their educational records except as allowed under certain allowances (please see the One-Stop Student Services FERPA page for more information). Thus, unless you have signed authorization to release to a specific group or person, our Office is not allowed to share the details of your case or your record. The Office can supply your parents with general information regarding the conduct process and the Student Code of Conduct.

    If you would like for your parent/guardian to have access to your records, please fill out the following: Advisor Notification Form.

  • How long will it take for me to receive a decision on my case?

    Per the UNF Student Code of Conduct, students receive their Decision Letter within 14 class days (including Summer Term class days) after their hearing. This timeline may be extended given outstanding or extenuating circumstances.

  • Can I appeal the decision that has been made about my case?

    Students have the right to appeal their decision regarding their case. Appeal requests must be submitted within five (5) class days upon receiving the decision letter. Please refer to our Appeal Process Page or to Section J of the Student Code of Conduct for more information.

  • Can I appeal the decision that has been made on my case?

    Please refer to Section J of the Student Code of Conduct for a detailed answer to this question. Students can appeal the decision that has been made on their case, however the request must be submitted within five (5) class days of the original notification letter being sent to your UNF Student E-mail. This is a strict time limit, and no appeals will be heard following the expiration of the fifth-class day.

  • Why do I have a hold on my account from University Conduct? It is preventing me from altering anything in regards to my student account?

    Holds are placed on student's accounts for non-compliance with Student Conduct decisions or sanctions. Following completion of sanctions, your hold will be lifted. If you are unsure of why you received a hold on your account, please contact the Dean of Students Office (DOS) for clarification. Potential reasons a hold may be on your account include, but are not limited to:

    • If you have not submitted a reflection paper, you must complete this and await review of said sanction after it has been turned in.
    • If you have not completed an online module required of you and submitted proof to the office (if the module declares you must), you must complete the module and await review of said sanction.
    • If you did not complete volunteer service hours or community service hours, you must turn these in and await verification of these hours. (This can take up to 48 hours typically.)
    • If you have missed a meeting with the Dean of Students Office, or haven't scheduled a required meeting, you will need to attend your first meeting before your hold will be lifted.
    • If you have missed a Guided Analysis session relating to your assigned sanctions, or haven't scheduled a required meeting, you must successfully attend and complete one session before your hold will be lifted. To schedule a meeting, please submit the Request to Meet form
    • If you have not submitted proof of payment for restitution, you must do so before your hold will be lifted.
    • Any other sanctions: please feel free to contact us so that we may advise what sanctions have not yet been completed.
  • How do I remove my hold?

    To permanently remove the hold on your account, you must complete all of your sanctions (see question above).

    If you need a hold to be lifted temporarily, you can fill out Temporary Hold Lift Request form, which will lift the hold for up to 72 hours. If your lift request has been approved, you will then receive an email to your UNF email letting you know. You can only request a temporary hold lift once per case.

Parent/Guardian FAQs

Sanction FAQs

  • How does the DOS determine sanctions for cases?

    The Hearing Administrator, Student Conduct Board, and/or the Provost or their designee look at a multitude of factors when recommending and determining sanctions. Specifically, we review the nature of the violation, the impact to the campus, and the student’s previous conduct record. We also use our Progressive Sanctioning Model, which helps to address student behavior by providing sanctions directly related to the incident.

  • How long do I have to complete sanctions if I am found responsible for a violation?

    Students are given 30 days to complete any assigned sanction. If you have extenuating circumstances that prevent you from completing your sanctions within that timeframe, please contact our Office so we may work with you.

  • Do my sanctions appear on my transcript?

    Suspension and expulsion are the only two sanctions that will be notated on your transcript. All other sanction information stays within the Dean of Students Office. If you request a Dean Certification letter, the letter will include information regarding: charges, findings, sanctions, and your current standing with the University. 

  • Where do I go to complete my Osprey Ascend Module?
    1. Log into myWings at with your UNF N# and password.
    2.  Once Logged in, locate on the left side of page, Training & Development.
    3. Click the Osprey Ascend link. 
    4. Identify modules on your Osprey Ascend transcript by clicking on View My Transcript. Your assigned module will also be listed in your Decision Letter. 
  • What is a Conduct Hold?

    The Dean of Students Office may place a hold on student accounts for incomplete and past due sanctions. A disciplinary hold can limit a student’s ability to conduct business with the University, including, but not limited to, registering for classes, obtaining transcripts, paying fines, etc.

  • How do I remove my hold?

    Successfully completing all sanctions from your conduct case permanently removes the hold from your account.

    If you need to complete official University business and would like a hold temporarily lifted, please complete the Temporary Hold Release Request. This lifts the hold from you account for 72 hours. Once your request has been approved, you will receive an email notification. You can only request ONE temporary hold lift per case. Note: Not all requests will be granted. Communication detailing the terms of a temporary hold release will be sent to the student's university email account.

  • How do I complete an off-campus Comprehensive Psychological Assessment or Substance Abuse Program?

    There are several groups around the greater Jacksonville area that you may utilize to complete this requirement. Below is a list of local providers that have been pre-approved by the University to provide comprehensive psychological assessments and substance abuse services.

    *Before choosing a provider not on this list, please contact the Dean of Students Office to gain pre-approval before paying for services.

  • Jacksonville area providers for a Comprehensive Psychological Assessment:

    Sari N. Bernstein, Ph. D.

    4110 Southpoint Blvd

    Jacksonville, FL 32216

    (904) 332-2525

    Serena Bloomfield, Ed. D.

    3725 Dupont Station Ct S, Suite 3

    Jacksonville, FL 32217

    (904) 448-1519

    Philip Yates, Ph. D., P.A.

    4465 Baymeadows Road, Suite 8

    Jacksonville, FL 32217

    (904) 731-7222

    George Deitchman, Ph. D.

    708 3rd Street, North

    Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250

    (904) 568-8927

    Douglas Gorospe, LCSW

    4160 University Blvd S

    Jacksonville, FL 32216

    (904) 376-3800


    Peter Knox, Psy. D.

    6339 Argyle Forest Blvd., Ste. 4

    Jacksonville, FL 32244

    (904) 317-9565


    Marsh Landing Behavioral Group

    1538 The Greens Way, Suite 101

    Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250

    (904) 543-0161


    Larry W. Neidigh, Ph.D.

    1543 Kingsley Avenue, #18

    Orange Park, FL 32073

    (904) 269-3324

    Lynda Walls, Ph.D.

    931 Cassat Ave.

    Jacksonville, FL 32205

    (904) 388-2828

  • Jacksonville area providers for Alcohol, Drug Abuse, Prevention and Intervention:

    Breakthroughs Counseling & Recovery, Inc.

    3810 - 3 Williamsburg Park Boulevard

    Jacksonville, Florida 32257

    (904) 419-6102

    Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday & Friday

    8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m., Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday

    Breakthroughs Counseling & Recovery Inc. Website


    Gateway Community Services

    555 Stockton Street

    Jacksonville, Florida 32204

    (904) 387-4661 ext. 172

    Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

    Gateway Community Services Website


    Greenfield Center

    3 Shircliff Way #640

    Jacksonville, Florida 32204

    (904) 389-3784

    Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

    Greenfield Center Website


    Psychological Associates

    4250 Lakeside Dr.

    Jacksonville, FL 32210

    (904) 308-2058

    Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.


    River Point Behavioral Health

    6300 Beach Boulevard

    Jacksonville, Florida 32216

    (904) 724-9202

    Hours: 24 hours

    River Point Behavioral Health Website


    River Region Human Services

    3020 Warrington St.

    Jacksonville, Florida 32254

    (904) 899-6300 ext. 4200

    Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday

    River Region Human Services Website