The University of North Florida is home to one of the most recognized performance-based music programs in the country. With an emphasis in American music and comprised of dedicated faculty who are noted artists/practitioners in their fields, UNF's Music Flagship Program offers a stimulating, yet personal atmosphere for scholarship. The Master of Music Education course schedules are designed to accommodate professional students with full or part-time jobs to fullest extent possible. UNF's Music Flagship Program is a fully accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Music(NASM).
The Master of Music Education program is designed to offer two year residency degrees varying from 30 - 39 credit hours. Completion of the degree and passing the Florida Department of Education Professional Knowledge and Music Subject Area exams will ensure students meet the eligibility requirements to apply to the FLDOE for a Florida Professional Teaching Certificate.
Pedagogy and Research concentration:
This concentration is geared towards students who have already completed a Bachelors degree in Music Education. The curriculum allows students to work with experienced educators and develop research in music education.
Professional Education concentration:
This concentration is designed for students who possess a Bachelors in any Music major. The focus is on building the skills necessary to enter the teaching profession in Florida.
- Pedagogy and Research
- Professional Education
Application Requirement Information
International Applicant Requirements
Frequently Asked Questions
Fall Term . . . . . . . . August 1
Admits for fall term only.
The following must be submitted by the posted deadline. Incomplete applications with outstanding requirements, or those post-marked after the posted deadline, are subject to cancellation. Once an application has been cancelled, the applicant will be required to apply for the next available term, or as a graduate non-degree seeking applicant (limitations apply).
- UNF admission application
- Application fee
- If applicable, collection holds and judicial holds must be cleared
All of the below university and program requirements
A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution, or its equivalent from a foreign institution, with a GPA of 3.0 or higher in all work attempted in the last 60 credit hours of undergraduate study.
- Official transcripts, and foreign evaluations if applicable, from all post-secondary institutions attended.
- Letter of intent
- Describe educational or professional goals
- Writing sample
- 5-7 pages of scholarly writing
- Three letters of recommendation
- Faculty member or professional reference familiar with the applicant's academic or research potential
- FLDOE General Knowledge Exam (GKE)
- Passing scores on all portions
- Department of Music Application
- Please contact the program
- Department of Music interview
- Please contact the program to schedule
- Applicants applying to the Professional Education concentration must possess a Bachelor of Music
of the Program