Skip to Main Content
Office of Records and Registration

Records & Registration FAQs

Many of the commonly asked questions concerning UNF records and registration for classes are listed below.

For additional questions, contact One-Stop Student Services directly.

  • How do I change my major?

    To change majors, students must see their academic advisor. Only an academic advisor can submit the required form to implement the change. Deadlines for major changes will still be adhered to and we will process the request according to University procedures. If you are interested in changing to a major housed in a different college, then you will need to see the receiving college's advising office for submission of the request.

  • How do I change my name, address, and/or primary physical location and/or address?
    Address change requests and requests to change one's primary physical location can be submitted online through myWings. Name changes must be made in person at One-Stop Student Services located on the first floor of Ann and David Hicks Hall, Building 53, Suite 1700, or may be submitted in writing to One-Stop Student Services, 1 UNF Drive, Jacksonville, FL 32224. Name change requests must be accompanied by appropriate documentation. Examples of appropriate documentation include a copy of a valid driver license, a marriage certificate, or a court order. Download the Personal Information Update form from the Records and Registration Forms page.
  • How can I reclassify as a Florida resident for tuition purposes?

    Residing in Florida for more than a year DOES NOT necessarily mean that a student is a Florida resident for tuition purposes. Florida State law specifically states that residing in the state for the purpose of attending school is not reason enough for reclassification to state residency status for tuition purposes. Additionally, if a student is under the age of 25, we must look to the parents' residency for tuition purposes. More detailed information may be obtained by contacting One-Stop Student Services. Click here for more information on residency.

    Please note that the reclassification process requires the submission of multiple pieces of documentation and additional documentation may be requested if needed to render a decision. Reclassification may take a few weeks to complete, so students should be prepared to apply a month or two before the semester begins and to closely monitor email for communication regarding the reclassification application.

  • How do I drop or withdraw from a course?

    UNF differentiates between "dropping" and "withdrawing" from a course.


    • Students may drop courses through the registration period preceding the term and during the "Add/Drop" period. The Add/Drop period occurs during the first five days of courses for a given semester.
    • Courses scheduled to meet for the first time after add/drop ends may be dropped the next business day only in One-Stop Student Services. Tuition and fee payment is still due on the regular deadline for all classes.
    • If a student drops a course on or before the last day to drop courses, the student will not be assessed a fee for that course. If the student has already paid fees and then drops a course, the student will receive a full refund for the dropped course.


    • Students who wish to cease attending a course after the Add/Drop period has ended must withdraw from the course.
    • The withdraw period begins after the Administrative Drop for Non-Payment and continues through the first 13 weeks of courses (during semesters that are 16 weeks long). Check the Academic Calendar for posted withdrawal deadlines.
    • Withdrawal deadlines vary for courses that occur during shorter semesters and for courses with non-traditional beginning and ending dates.
    • A "W" will appear on the transcript in place of a grade for all courses from which a student withdraws. A "W" does not impact the student's GPA negatively or positively.

    Although students will not receive credit for courses from which they withdraw, the credit hours that would have been accumulated upon completion of the course are added to the student's total of "attempted hours."

    Students may drop and withdraw online via myWings or in person at One-Stop Student Services with photo identification. Requests to drop and withdraw cannot be accepted via telephone or email. In certain cases, authorization from another department on campus may be required before the withdrawal request can be processed. In such cases, mailed or faxed withdrawal requests cannot be processed.

    It is recommended that students in the following categories discuss their decision to withdraw as it may have negative implications.

    Student Status Department
    Athletes UNF Athletics Department (must have written permission)
    Freshmen First-Year Advising
    Recipients of Veterans Benefits Military and Veterans Resource Center
    International Students International Center


    Students who withdraw from all courses by the first four weeks of spring, fall, or cross-term summer classes will receive a 25 percent refund. Refunds are only disbursed if a student withdraws from all courses in which they are enrolled. During the summer term, only students who withdraw from all cross-term classes will receive a refund. There are no refunds for withdrawal from summer A and summer B courses. After the deadline for a 25 percent refund for withdrawal, there are no withdrawal refunds, except by fee petition when students can document extenuating circumstances beyond their control.

    Students who have extenuating circumstances may request a refund of fees by filing a fee petition with the Controller's Office. The repeat surcharge is not petitionable. Fee petitions are reviewed weekly by the Fee Committee. Fee petitions are submitted via myWings and require that supporting documentation be attached. Students are notified via email of the results.

  • Is there a time limit for registering for a course?

    Yes, students may register for a class only during the registration period for the term in which they are enrolled and no later than the last day of late registration for that term. Students who wish to audit a course must indicate their intentions online or on the registration form. View the registration deadlines on the Academic Calendar.

    Students who register for classes during late registration will be assessed a late registration fee in addition to the applicable tuition and fees.

  • What is a registration hold?

    Registration holds are placed on student records by different offices to prevent registration until the matter regarding the hold has been resolved. All holds must be cleared by the issuing office prior to registration. Students are notified of their holds when they attempt to register. You may view any holds on your records or registration through the Holds box on the myWings web portal

    You will be directed to contact the department issuing the hold.

  • What is non-degree registration?
    Non-degree registration is the date on which students admitted in a non-degree-seeking status may register for classes. Non-degree-seeking students are those not interested in pursuing a UNF degree (i.e., taking courses for enrichment, for certification, to transfer to another university). Course work credit will appear on a UNF transcript as non-degree seeking. There is a nine (9) credit hour limit. Learn more about applying to UNF as a non-degree seeking student.
  • What do I do if a course I want is closed?

    Most departments offer an Online Waitlist (OWL) option.  When you register online or in person and find that a desired course is full, the OWL will give you the option of signing up on a waiting list for that course. For more information about the waitlist system, please read the online waitlist FAQ. NOTE: it is your responsibility to drop yourself from the waitlist if you no longer wish to enroll in the course. If you are added to the class, you will be fee liable.

    Override policies vary with each academic college within the University. The departmental representative must give an electronic "override" so that you may register. In some cases, the course may have reached its enrollment limit. When this situation occurs, no additional students can be enrolled in the course due to safety requirements related to classroom sizes.

  • When does registration begin for the next term?

    Registration typically begins two weeks before the term begins (except for spring registration which begins in November due to the winter holidays in December). The course schedule is on the web three weeks before registration begins.

    Specific dates will be posted on the Academic Calendar page or Events and News box within the myWings web portal.

  • Why do I see an error message when I try to add a course?
    If you see an error message when you try to register for a course, there may be a restriction on the course. Also known as registration add errors, registration restrictions require you to obtain permission from an academic advisor or even the department or college offering the course before you will be permitted to add the course to your schedule. Click for a list of common registration add errors and whom to contact for assistance.
  • Is there a way to access the course schedule online?