Skip to Main Content
The Graduate School

Graduate Non-Degree

The graduate non-degree option is reserved for students who have earned a baccalaureate degree from an accepted institutional accreditor and wish to take graduate level coursework, but are not admitted into a degree seeking graduate program.

This option is not for applicants who wish to enroll in undergraduate prerequisites prior to their graduate program. If you have been instructed by a graduate program director to take undergraduate prerequisites, please apply as an undergraduate non-degree seeking student at least one term prior to your graduate program start term. Please note the undergraduate application fee is required for undergraduate non-degree seeking applications as it differs entirely from the graduate application fee. However, any transcripts on file are available to both the undergraduate and graduate admissions offices. Therefore, if transcripts have been submitted to the graduate admissions office, the undergraduate admissions office will have access to them and vice versa.
  • Deadlines
    • Fall - August 10
    • Spring - December 10
    • Summer - April 30
  • Participating Programs

    Not all programs accept graduate non-degree applicants. It is highly recommended potential students contact the Graduate Program Director of the program in which would like to enroll in. Enrollment eligibility for non-degree seeking students is based on several factors including, but not limited to, permission from the program director and instructor of record, and class capacity. Degree earning students have priority for course enrollment. If admitted in a non-degree status, enrollment is not guaranteed every term.

    Interdisciplinary Programs

    • Materials Science & Engineering

    Brooks College of Health 

    • Clinical Mental Health Counseling
    • Nutrition
    • Family Nurse Practitioner
    • Nurse Anesthesiology
    • Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner

    College of Arts and Sciences

    • Biology
    • Criminal Justice
    • English
    • History
    • Mathematical Science
    • Music Education
    • Music Performance
    • Psychology
    • Public Admin
    • Social Work

    College of Computing, Engineering and Construction

    • Computer and Information Sciences
    • Electrical Engineering
    • Mechanical Engineering

    College of Education and Human Services

    • Counselor Education
    • Educational Leadership
    • Special Education
    • Elementary Education
    • Secondary Education
  • Process

    If the Graduate Program Director agrees you can enroll as a graduate non-degree student, complete the UNF Graduate School Non-Degree Application.

    1. Log in or create an application account
    2. Click the Start New Application link at the bottom
    3. Select the Graduate Admissions Application option
    4. Select Graduate Pre-requisites and Non-Degree
    5. To complete the application, click Open Application
      • To apply as non-degree to take graduate level courses outside a degree program, or graduate prerequisite courses to prepare for a graduate program, you must select "I wish to take graduate level coursework non-degree. I plan to pursue a graduate degree later." as your enrollment plans.
      • For your program of study, you will need to select the Grad App: [major] option of the program you are interested in; i.e. if you wish to take psychology courses, you would select "Grad App: Psychology, N".
    6. Upload a copy of your transcript(s)
    7. Submit the $30 non-refundable application fee

    Once admitted, graduate non-degree students will need to:

    1. Provide an official transcript from the institution where the bachelors degree was earned.
    2. Clear holds in order to register for classes. Non-degree students are only allowed to register just prior to the start of each term.
    3. Complete the residency declaration if applying for Florida residency for tuition purposes. You will receive email communication on completing this process. It must be completed by the last business day before the start of classes.
    4. Pay the student bill. Note, students are not sent a bill for tuition. Refer to Student Financial Services for deadlines and payment submission information.
  • Registration

    Graduate non-degree course registration requires permission from the Graduate Program Director prior to registration. In order to request a registration override:

    • Login to myWings
    • Select the Student Records tile
    • Select Student Forms from the menu
    • Select the Online Forms, Appeals and Petitions button
    • Under Records and Registration, select Registration Override Request
    • Complete the form and submit 
  • Important Notes
    • The application, application fee, and transcripts must be submitted by the deadline posted above. 
    • Only 12 credit hours of graduate course work taken in a graduate post-baccalaureate non-degree status may be applied to a degree-seeking graduate program. After taking 12 credit hours, a registration hold will be placed on the account and the Graduate Post-Baccalaureate Memorandum of Understanding Form will be required to lift the hold.
    • Students in the graduate non-degree seeking status are not eligible for financial aid.