The Graduate Certificate in Reading and Advanced Literacy program is designed to meet the needs of K-12 teachers, who already hold a valid teaching licensure and reading endorsement, supervisors, coaches, and college/university teacher educators who want to increase their effectiveness in the teaching of reading. This program addresses the needs expressed the Florida State Department of Education. The program includes five classes which will provide an in depth view of reading research, theory and the application of current scientific research and trends.
Special Notes about the Program
Certificate programs are not eligible for financial aid. Please visit the Financial Aid website for more information regarding eligibility.
Application Requirement Information
International Applicant Requirements
Frequently Asked Questions
Fall Term . . . . . . . . August 1
Spring Term . . . . . December 1
Summer Term . . . March 15
The following must be submitted by the posted deadline.
Incomplete applications with outstanding requirements, or those post-marked after the posted deadline, are subject to cancellation. Once an application has been cancelled, the applicant will be required to apply for the next available term, or as a
graduate non-degree seeking applicant
- UNF admission application
- Application fee
- If applicable, collection holds and judicial holds must be cleared
All of the below university and program requirements
A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution, or its equivalent from a foreign institution, with a GPA of 3.0 or higher in all work attempted in the last 60 credit hours of undergraduate study.
- Official transcripts, and foreign evaluations if applicable, from all post-secondary institutions attended.
- Applicants must hold a valid teaching license/certificate from any U.S. state or international equivalent
- Successful completion of one of the following:
- 2011 Revised Florida Reading Competencies 1-4
- Florida Reading Competencies 1-5 (prior 2011 version)
- Have 12 credit hours in reading/literacy with evidence of covering indicators of the 2011 Revised Florida Reading Competencies 1-4
- Have taken a general assessment course at either the undergraduate or graduate level such as EDF 4444: Assessment of Learning and Behavior or EDF6442: Assessment in the Curriculum