Internships are usually formal programs within organizations whose primary purpose is to offer practical work experience. Internships improve resumes by giving students opportunities to gain professional skills and explore new industries. Would-be interns should evaluate internship programs carefully, to see if those programs offer the training they desire.
The main difference between an internship and a part-time job is that internships include specific learning objectives. In other words, a student is deliberately seeking new knowledge or skills in a particular industry. The internship ought to enhance one’s career objective.
If you have further questions about whether or not your position qualifies as an internship, please contact Dee Dee Wyckoff, Employer Relations Coordinator.
*May be subject to a $100 late registration fee; late registration form must be submitted after this time.
Have you been offered an internship and want to apply to earn academic credit for the experience? Applying for the Coggin internship course is easy!
Please read the general registration overview below and corresponding tabs about the process.
Supporting documents MUST be uploaded and attached to the online internship application. Hard copy versions of the documents will not be accepted.
- Secure an internship
- Obtain an employer verification letter from your company
- Meet with a Coggin Academic advisor to verify your eligibility*
- Take Academic Advising Verification Form (See Course Pre-Requisites tab)
- Complete and submit online internship course application/supporting documents electronically (See Apply Here tab)
- Attach Employer Verification Letter and Academic Advising Verification Form to online application
- Do not submit more than one application per internship, per term
- International Business Majors only: Must detail five learning objectives; one learning objective must be connected/aligned with IB major/degree
- Email confirmation of application receipt will be sent within 2-3 business days
- Excluding weekends, holidays, UNF closures, or high-volume periods
- If internship is approved, decision email with self-registration instructions will be sent to UNF email
- Self-register for course in myWings!
*Due to remote work and classes for summer 2021, please email Academic Advising Verification form to your advisor for completion. Students may need to schedule a virtual appointment with advisor to discuss form.
Course Registration: Eligibility and Prerequisites
Due to accreditation and department requirements, Coggin internship course prerequisites may slightly vary from one business major to another.
The internship course you register for depends on your major. Do you meet the prerequisites for your major’s internship course?
If you do not meet the academic prerequisites, please see the Important Reminders tab for the Waiver of College Policy information.
If internship site does not meet criteria, please email the Internship Coordinator.
Business Major/Minor Internship Course Pre-Req’s
Academic Advising Verification Form
Once you have accepted your internship offer, Coggin needs to verify some important details. Contact your employer and request an employment verification letter (on their company letterhead) including the following:
*** NOTE: This employer verification letter may be different than an employer offer letter.
- Internship Dates. When is your internship? Identify both a start date and an end date.
- Expected work hours. How many hours do you plan to work? Your employer must confirm you are working the appropriate amount of hours corresponding to your major. Either a weekly or total hour figure is acceptable from your employer.
- Supervisor Contact Information. Supervisor’s name, office address, email, and phone number.
- Pay. How much are they paying you for this position?
- Internship Responsibilities. What are you doing on this internship? What work does your employer anticipate you completing during the internship? Provide some general details regarding your key responsibilities.
Your employer verification letter verifies key internship components which may not be contained in your offer letter. If you offer letter does not contain all of the information listed above, you must obtain a separate verification letter for your employer (on the company’s letterhead) confirming those details.
The internship course is a 3-credit hour P/F course offered via Canvas that is designed to enhance the student’s internship experience. Student’s will set internship goals, industry and company analysis, and self-reflection of the internship experience.
This course is designed to enhance your career readiness through self-reflection of vocational/career options. Students will have access to the Canvas course the first day of classes for the designated term. Questions about the internship course assignments should be directed to course instructor.
Students who meet the academic internship course requirements for the requested internship course, can only register/enroll in the approved internship course once. This course cannot be repeated.
To avoid enrollment delays and late registration fees keep in mind the following:
- Course Prerequisite Missing - Waiver of College Policy Required. After I meet with my Coggin academic advisor, if my advisor determines I do not meet one of the course prerequisites I understand I must obtain a prerequisite Waiver of College Policy form from them.
- Student must provide outcome of waiver to the Internship Coordinator
- Application will not be processed without waiver decision
- If waiver is denied, student is not eligible for academic internship credit for the term
- International Work. If any part of my internship takes place abroad I understand I need to meet with a Coggin International study abroad advisor for an additional step of approval. Their email is: email@example.com
Ready to start your application? To avoid application time-outs and frustrations, make sure you have collected the following information asked from you on this form.
- Company Information. Address, phone number, supervisor contact name and email.
- Internship Information. Start and end date (estimates ok), pay rate, estimated hours worked per week.
What Happens to My Internship Application After I Submit Online?
After you finish your online application via the link above check your UNF email, you will receive a copy of the entire form and all your typed responses within 15 minutes.
Once you receive this email, congratulations! You have successfully completed the first step, but there are a few more to go:
- Save the email with the internship application and attached documents. DO NOT print a copy and submit it to the Coggin Career Management Center.
- Wait for Coggin Internship Coordinator Email confirmation. You will receive an email from the Coggin Internship Coordinator within 48 hours (excluding weekends, holidays, UNF closures and high volume periods such as registration)
- An email from the Coggin Internship Coordinator will be sent to your UNF email address with the application decision. If approved, this email will contain registration instructions.
- Enroll in Internship Course. YOU MUST REGISTER YOURSELF in myWings for the designated term.
- Review the Course Curriculum tab for course information.
- Have a great internship!