Skip to Main Content
College of Computing, Engineering and Construction
twoColumn twoLeft

Academic Advising for Graduates

Freshmen are advised by the First Year Advising Office. However, all students intending to major in engineering are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor and/or faculty in the School of Engineering to discuss the engineering programs, engineering careers, or their academic progress.


Academic advising for sophomores, juniors, and seniors is provided by the College.  Please visit the College of Computing, Engineering and Construction Undergraduate Advising for information regarding undergraduate Advising for CCEC majors.


Walk-ins are welcome only during posted walk-in hours. All other advising appointments must be made online by following the steps below:

  • Please specify Graduate or Undergraduate when making an appointment.
  1. Login to myWings, select the Advising tile.
  2. Click on the Make an Advising Appointment Link.
  3. In the Select Week field, choose the week you want to make an appointment and click submit.
  4. Click on the Appointment Available time you want, enter the required information and click Make Appointment.
  5. Briefly describe what you need to discuss in the comment field.
  6. You're all set!

Non-Engineering student can request an appointment by calling (904) 620-1390.

Engineering is located in Building 4, Skinner - Jones Hall North

View Map - Building 4

Graduate Advisor / Coordinator

Alan Harris Headshot  
Engineering Graduate Students
Alan Harris, Ph.D 

Professor, Director - School of Engineering
(904) 620-1393; Office: 04/3203

Transient Student Application Process

Transient students are those currently enrolled at UNF who register for courses at another Florida public college/university on a temporary basis. UNF students may attend other schools as a transient student, but with strict limitations and prior approval. Please see your academic advisor. It is recommended that you contact the other school to find out their registration requirements and deadlines.

How to fill out a transient-student form:

  1. Go to
  2. Place your mouse over the "Apply" link at the top of the page and Click on "Transient Student Admission Application"
  3. Click "Continue" and then enter your home institution as "University of North Florida," then enter your student ID (N#) and your PIN

    *Note - to create a PIN, go to myWings > Student (TAB) > Student Self Service > Records > FLORIDA SHINES PIN MANAGEMENT

  4. Once logged in, click "Next"
  5. Select your college as "College of Computing, Engineering, and Construction Management"

    *Note - If you have not yet earned 60 credits hours, you will need to select "Academic Center for Excellence" and then click "Next"

  6. Fill out the form completely and click "Send"
  7. You will be notified of the approval of your application once it has been processed

After your transient form has been submitted and approved, you will still need to:

  • Register and pay for the course at the transient institution.
  • You may also need to provide additional information to the transient institution (like a UNF transcript).
  • If you plan to use financial aid to cover any portion of the cost for transient hours, contact One Stop for the appropriate guidelines.
  • Send official transcripts from the transient institution to UNF upon completion of the course.

Other Useful Information:

  • Be aware that by taking a course at another institution, you may not be allowed to register for a course at UNF until the grade is posted, if it is needed as a pre-req. A grade of C or better is required unless a higher grade is indicated. (For example, a grade of C or higher is required for pre-engineering courses).
  • If a student chooses to take a prerequisite course at another institution, permission to take the subsequent course may be given. But if an official final grade of a "C" or better (unless the individual course requires a higher grade) is not received by the start of the following term, you may be administratively withdrawn due to lacking the pre-requisite.
  • If the course is not degree applicable, your financial aid may not cover the cost. You will need to contact the financial aid office for questions and clarification.
  • You must meet all prerequisites for your desired course at the transient institution.