Skip to Main Content
International Center

F-1 Program Completion

It has been wonderful getting to know you and seeing you grow during your time as a student at UNF. We want to let you know of the options that you have upon completion of your program of study at UNF as well as things that you need to consider before your departure.

Please use the following information as a resource when considering your plans after graduation. We wish you the best in your future endeavors! Please stay in touch, and safe travels back home!

60-day Grace Period

As an F-1 student who has maintained F-1 status, you have a 60-day grace period to stay in the U.S. after your Form I-20 ends. The grace period starts the day after your Form I-20 end date and ends 60 days later. During this period of time, you will have the option to:

  • Prepare for departure from the U.S.
  • Travel within the U.S.
  • Change or adjust your status.
  • Begin post-completion OPT. Applications may be submitted to USCIS 90 days prior to the end date on your Form I-20 and must be received before the end of your 60-day grace period.
  • Transfer to another school or program with a starting date no later than 5 months after your completion date. You must apply to another institution, be admitted, and have your SEVIS record transferred out to that institution before the end of your 60-day grace period. Please submit the required documentation well in advance to ensure your SEVIS record is transferred in time.
  • Begin a new program of study at UNF. You must apply to the new program, be admitted, and be issued a new Form I-20 before the end of your 60-day grace period. Proof of funding is required to issue the new Form I-20.

Note: You are no longer eligible for on-campus employment during your 60-day grace period following the completion of your course of study, except in the following situations:

  • Employment authorized for OPT - You may use OPT to work on-campus if the employment is directly related to your major. You must be approved for OPT, receive your EAD card, and may begin working on the authorized start date on your EAD card.
  • Employment between academic levels at UNF - If a change of level I-20 has been issued for you to move educational levels you may continue on-campus employment as long as you plan to enroll for the next term.

Departure Checklist

  • Inform your International Student Advisor of your departure date via email.
  • Update your student portal with your new mailing address, phone number, and email address.
  • Pay any remaining balance. Your diploma and official transcript will not be released until your balance is fully paid.
  • Request your official transcript through your student portal.
  • To submit a request for a notarized transcript and/or diploma, please submit an Apostille Request form to One-Stop Student Services.

Medical Insurance

  • Update your mailing address with your medical insurance company so they can send any communications/refunds to the correct address.

Housing and Personal Items

  • Confirm the move out date of your housing (residence halls or lease agreement).
  • Notify your landlord of your departure date. Most leases require notice be given in advance. Check your lease for exact details. Arrange for your deposit to be returned.
  • If you live on campus, communicate with your Resident Assistant (RA) the date and approximate time you plan to move-out of your assigned space.
  • Pay any remaining utility bills. Arrange for your utilities to be disconnected by your move out date.
  • Donate or sell any unneeded household/personal items. You can donate items to local thrift shops or organizations such as a Goodwill Donation Center. You can sell items online via various website.
  • If selling a vehicle, be sure to transfer the title to the new owner and cancel your insurance.


  • Notify your bank of your departure plans. Close your account or work with the bank to determine how to handle the closure of your account if you have scheduled payments or are expecting reimbursements.
  • If you received wages from an employer during the calendar year, you will need to file a tax return the following year (the deadline to file is April 15). You will need to obtain your Form W-2 from your employer. Please keep in mind that you are required to file a tax return on all U.S. based income even if you are not in the U.S.


  • Keep a copy of your old and current Form I-20s. You may need them if you plan to return to the U.S. or apply for another U.S. immigration benefit in the future.
  • If you have obtained a Social Security Number (SSN), keep your card in case you ever return to the U.S.
Back to F-1 Student Overview