Skip to Main Content
Residency Processing

Residency FAQs

  • What is a “resident for tuition purposes?”

    A Florida “resident for tuition purposes” refers to whether you qualify as an in-state Florida resident or an out-of-state resident. This classification determines your cost of tuition.

    A Florida "resident for tuition purposes" is a person who has, or a dependent person whose parent, legal guardian, or spouse has established and maintained legal residence in Florida for at least twelve months prior to the first day of the term. Note: Students, who depend on out-of-state parents for support, are presumed to be legal residents of the same state as their parents.

    Under Florida law, being a "Florida Resident" does not automatically classify you as a Florida "resident for tuition purposes."

  • Which residency declaration should I submit?

    Newly admitted students or students who are returning to UNF who believe they meet requirements to be considered a "resident for tuition purposes" should complete the Initial Residency Declaration once they have been admitted.

    Current UNF students who were initially classified as nonresidents for tuition purposes may become eligible for reclassification as residents for tuition purposes only if the individual (or the parents of that individual, if that individual is a dependent) presents documentation evidencing permanent residency in this state for 12 consecutive months. The individual (or his/her parents, if that individual is a dependent) must present documentation that substantiates residency in this state is for the purpose of maintaining a bona fide domicile, rather than for the purpose of maintaining a mere temporary residence or abode incident to enrollment in an institution of higher education. In this case, the Residency Reclassification Declaration should be completed.

  • Where do I find the residency declaration?

    Initial Residency Declaration 

    • Log into your myWings portal
    • Choose Student on side menu
    • Select Records, and then Residency Declaration

    Visit our initial residency website for more information.


    Residency Reclassification

    • Log into your myWings portal
    • Choose Student on side menu
    • Select Student Resources, and then Banner Self Service
    • Click on Student Records
    • Select Residency Reclassification

    Visit our residency reclassification website for more information.

  • Am I a dependent or independent student?
    Students under 24 years of age are considered dependent students unless they meet an independent criteria.
  • Why do my parents need to provide their residency information?
    A student who does not meet one of the independent criteria shall be classified as dependent students for the determination of residency for tuition purposes. Residency for dependent students is determined based on information from the parents.
  • What if I live with a non-parent family member who is a Florida resident?

    Non-parent family members who have legal guardianship of a student who is not yet 18, and/or have claimed the student on federal income taxes for the past three years, may be used as claimant on the initial residency classification form or the request for residency reclassification application.

    “Parent” encompasses any person who is eligible to claim the person seeking classification as a dependent for federal income tax purposes. According to federal income tax code, the following are acceptable “parental relationships.” The person seeking classification must be a:

    • Child or a descendant of a child
    • Stepchild
    • Brother, sister, stepbrother, or stepsister
    • Half-brother, half-sister
    • Or a descendant of any of the above

    of the resident claimant for the resident claimant to qualify as a “parent” according Fla Stat 1009.21.

    If the non-parent family member does not meet these criteria, he or she cannot be considered a claim to residency. Students who do not meet the criteria to be considered independent for residency purposes will be considered residents of the state in which their parent or legal guardian are considered residents.

  • What do I need to show proof of residency?

    The documents you need will depend on whether you are establishing initial residency or submitting a request for residency reclassification and whether you are considered a dependent or independent student. Documentary evidence with dates that evidence the 12 month qualifying period will be required for all residency requests.

    For initial classification, two forms of identification issued at least 12 months before the beginning of the term for which residency is sought are required. Refer to this list of IDs approved as Documentary Evidence.

    The evidentiary requirement for residency reclassification goes beyond that for initial classification, because the student has previously been determined to be an out-of-state resident. For residency reclassification the student, or his or her parent if a dependent student, must present documentation substantiating residency in the state of Florida for the purpose of maintaining bona fide domicile, rather than for the purpose of maintaining temporary residence incident to enrollment at an institution of higher education. Refer to these examples of evidence that may substantiate bona fide domicile (page 12).

  • What are the citizenship requirements for FL residency?
    To qualify as a Florida "resident for tuition purposes", the claimant must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident alien, or legal alien granted indefinite stay by the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Click for additional information regarding eligible Alien types (starting on Appendix C).
  • If my family owns a house in Florida, can I be considered a resident?
    Not necessarily. Residence in Florida must be as a bona fide domicile rather than for the purpose of maintaining a residence incident to enrollment at an institution of higher education. Owning property in Florida, while residing in another state, will not of its own merit meet residency requirements.
  • What if I’ve lived in or attended a school in Florida?

    It is important to note that living or attending school in Florida is not tantamount to establishing legal residence for tuition purposes. The applicant or claimant must still present acceptable proof of legal Florida residency prior to the start of the semester to be assessed in-state fees.

    To be considered a Florida "resident for tuition purposes” you must prove through official and/or legal documents that you or the claimant have established bona fide domicile in the state of Florida at least 12 months before the start of the term for which you seek in-state status.

  • If I live in Georgia near the Florida/Georgia border, can I qualify for Florida residency?

    No. Living near the state of Florida does not grant the student residency for tuition purposes However, there is a possible discount for students who meet certain criteria.

    Additionally, active duty military personnel and their dependents stationed within 50 miles of the Florida border may claim residency based on the official military orders. Official documentation is subject to evaluation and verification.

  • What if just renewed my Driver’s License, Voter Registration, and/or Vehicle Registration?
    The original issue dates may be used for IDs with unbroken continuation or renewals. If your ID was recently renewed in accordance with state policy/regulation, you may submit the original date the Driver’s License number, Voter Registration number, and/or Vehicle Registration number was assigned to you. Be prepared to provide documentation (such as original paperwork or copies of all expired IDs) substantiating any dates you might report.
  • What can I do if my request for Florida residency for tuition purposes is denied?
    Students have the right to appeal a residency classification decision pursuant to F.S. Chapter 1009.21, Section 1009.21(11). To initiate the appeal a student must submit a complete Enrollment Services/Scholarship Appeal. A complete appeal includes documentation that supports a claim for residency and may include more than originally submitted. The Enrollment Services Appeals Committee will review the appeal and the decision is relayed via UNF email. Decisions made by the Enrollment Services Appeals Committee are binding and will not be overturned.