Skip to Main Content
Military and Veterans Resource Center

Frequently Asked Questions

Many of the frequently asked questions concerning veterans education benefits at UNF are listed below. For additional questions, contact the Military and Veterans Resource Center directly at (904) 620-5131or by emailing

Additional FAQs for Veterans can be found at:

  • What documents do I need to submit each semester?

    Once you have been approved to receive benefits and have completed a Request for Veterans Benefits in myWings, the Military and Veterans Resource Center will automatically access your class schedule and degree evaluation (program of study) each semester to verify that your coursework is required for your degree program to submit certification to Veterans Affairs. The auto-certification process will be completed each semester within 30 days after the end of Add/Drop.

  • How long will it take for my paperwork to be processed?

    If your file is complete prior to the beginning of the term, the UNF Military and Veterans Resource Center (MVRC) will certify within 30 days after the end of Add/Drop. After the start of term, paperwork will be processed by the MVRC within 30 days of notification of benefits or the request for certification.

    Once the MVRC completes your paperwork, it is sent to the Regional Processing Office (RPO). The RPO generally takes 4-6 weeks to complete processing. Processing time at the RPO varies depending on the time of year. To check on your file once it has been forwarded to the RPO, call (888) 442-4551 (1-888-GI-BILL-1).

  • When should I certify my enrollment? (Post 9/11, Chapter 33)
    Beginning December 17, 2021, students using Post 9-11 (Chapter 33) benefits will be required to certify their enrollment at the end of each month to continue receiving payments. Visit the VA’s Enrollment Verification guide to learn more.
  • When should I certify my enrollment? (Montgomery, Chapters: 30 and 1606)
    You are required to certify your enrollment at the end of each month. You may do so via the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling (877) 823-2378.
  • How can I get a deferment of my tuition and fees?

    Only deferments for the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® are automatic. Veteran Readiness and Employment students will receive a deferment when they notify Student Financial Services they are using benefits, and it is verified that a Tungsten authorization is on file.

    If your enrollment has already been certified by the UNF VA Certifying Official, you may request a 60 day deferment by the payment deadline. Please note: you may only have one 60 day deferment per academic year.

    Terms of the deferment agreement:

    • The full amount of fees assessed, even fees for withdrawal, reinstatement, and late fees from that academic term must be paid 60 days from the University's payment deadline. The Military and Veterans Resource Center sends a list of approved deferrals to Student Financial Services by the payment deadline.
    • Student agrees to make the deferred payment on time (by the 60th day) regardless of the payment status of his or her VA Benefits. Visit the Student Financial Services site to view the VA Deferment deadline for each term.
    • Student agrees for UNF to take appropriate actions, as determined by the administrative policy in the event that he or she fails to pay all fees due by the appropriate date.
    • Student agrees to pay any costs or related expenses incurred in the collection of these fees.
  • I am not a Florida resident for tuition purposes. Do I qualify for an out-of-state tuition waiver?
    Active duty military, veterans using G.I. Bill® benefits and dependents using G.I. Bill® benefits may qualify for an out-of-state tuition waiver. The Student Financial Services website lists eligibility requirements and required documentation on their website (see "Veteran and G.I. Bill® Dependent Out-of-State Tuition Waiver Program" or "Active Duty Military.")
  • I’m having problems with my benefits. What should I do?

    Taking into account the date you submitted your application and certification request, as well as the end of Add/Drop for the term in question:

    • Have you allowed for a reasonable amount of time (four to six weeks minimum in most cases) for the Regional Processing Office (RPO) to process your claim?
    • Have you checked the status of your claim through WAVE (the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment)?
    • Have you checked the status of your claim and the estimated enrollment certification processing time via the automated telephone information system at 1-888-GI-BILL-1?
    • Did you make an electronic inquiry through the G.I. Bill® website, providing all necessary identification?

    After you have completed the steps above, if problems persist please visit the Military and Veterans Resource Center. The staff will be happy to assist you in finding a resolution.

  • What is the monthly rate for my education benefit?

    Monthly rates vary depending upon which Education Benefit you receive. Veterans Affairs provides rate tables on their website.

    The monthly amount of your VA educational award may be prorated if necessary. For example, if the first term of your enrollment begins on the 15th of the month, the VA will divide your monthly rate by 30 (the number of days in a standard month). This will provide your daily rate. Your daily rate is then multiplied by the number of days you are attending class that month. This is the amount of your check for the first month of attendance.

    Payment is made at the end of each month. For example, you will be paid in February for attendance during January, in March for attendance in February, in April for attendance in March and so on.

  • How many credit hours must I take to receive the maximum monthly allowance?

    It is important for anyone receiving VA Education Benefits to be aware of hour requirements for each pay status, graduate or undergraduate. Undergraduate certification is described below.

    Credit Hours Training Time Amount of Pay
    12 or more Full time Maximum allowance
    9 - 11 3/4 time 75% of maximum allowance
    6 - 8 1/2 time 50% of maximum allowance
    5 or less Below 1/2 time Tuition and fees**


    ** For training below 1⁄2 time Veterans Affairs will pay for tuition and fees only. This is not per month - it is total. In some cases, they may send a lump sum payment or they will send a portion of your tuition and fees for each month. This chart is not reflective of Post-9/11/Chapter 33 benefit pay. View Education Benefit Payment Rates on the Department of Veterans Affairs website. View Chapter 33 Rates.

    A Special Note Concerning Split Sessions for Degree-Seeking Students

    UNF offers split sessions referred to as "accelerated sessions" by Veterans Affairs (i.e. First Half of term or Summer Sessions B, C, 8 week term, and 10 week term). This means Veterans Affairs will accelerate pay status in proportion to the rate of the split sessions. A full-time course load will be different for students enrolled in the split sessions. For this reason, you should check with a VA Certifying Official to be sure of the actual rate of acceleration.

    The following is an example of the hours necessary to be considered a full-time undergraduate student during the summer semesters:

    Option 1 Option 2 Option 3
    C (12 week) - 8 hours A (1st 6 week) - 4 hours A (1st 6 week) - 3 hours
    - B (2nd 6 week) - 4 hours B (2nd 6 week) - 3 hours
    - - C (12 week) - 3 hours

    The following is an example of the hours necessary to be considered a full-time graduate student during the fall semester:

    Option 1 Option 2
    1 (16 week) - 9 hours 1H (8 weeks) - 4 hours
    - 2H (8 weeks) - 4 hours


    The number of hours needed to be full-time for the school and financial aid purposes may differ from the VA hour requirement as well. Be sure to check with the financial aid office and the registrar's office on the credit-hour requirements for full-time. Graduate student's full time status may vary according to their assistantships.

  • How do I receive credit for military training?
    Any prior credit is evaluated by the Office of Admissions. You should provide an official copy of your military transcript and a copy of your DD-214 for evaluation.
  • How do I request my military transcripts?

    Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Coast Guard: Transcripts may be requested through the Joint Services Transcript website. Instructions for how to have official transcripts sent to post-secondary institutions through JST can be found on their website.

    Air Force: Transcripts may be requested through the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF). Instructions for how to have official transcripts sent to post-secondary institutions through CCAF can be found on their website.

  • How do I locate my SAT or ACT scores?
    UNF requires all applicants for freshman admission to submit either SAT or ACT scores. To have SAT or ACT scores sent to the University of North Florida, contact College Board at or (888) 630-9305. To have ACT scores sent, contact American College Testing Program at or (319) 337-1313. UNF's SAT code is 5490 and ACT code is 0711.
  • Must I maintain a certain GPA in order to keep my VA Education Benefits?

    All students receiving VA Education Benefits must maintain certain standards of progress as detailed in the University of North Florida catalog. VA regulations allow students to attend school under a probationary status for two consecutive terms while they continue to receive educational benefits. However, benefits will be terminated following the second consecutive term of attendance under probationary status if the student's cumulative grade point average does not meet the university's published standards of progress.

    Students using VA education benefits must meet with a School Certifying Official after reinstatement of a dismissal from unsatisfactory progress.

  • How can I qualify for priority registration?

    In compliance with Florida Statute 1004.075, degree-seeking veterans, active duty, and their dependent students are eligible for priority registration if registered with the Military & Veterans Resource Center. For more information on registration procedures please visit the Records and Registration website.



  • How do I drop/withdraw from a course? How does it affect my VA benefits?

    You may drop a course through the first week of classes, which is known as "Add/Drop". After this point and through the withdrawal deadline, you will only be permitted to withdraw from classes. By dropping a course, it will not show on your transcript and you will not be fee liable. By withdrawing from a course, you will be assigned a grade of "W" and will remain fee liable.

    You may Drop and/or Withdraw via myWings or in person at One-Stop Student Services. Please check your student account prior to any drop or withdrawal attempt for holds that may prevent registration actions. It is your responsibility to address holds in a timely manner; overrides of the posted deadlines will not be granted if you fail to resolve the hold prior to the deadline. Please visit the Academic Calendar for Drop and Withdraw deadlines.

    If you drop a class, withdraw from all classes, or are dropped by the instructor before that date, you are assigned a non-punitive grade. Remember, this means your GPA will not be penalized. However, Veterans Affairs treats a non-punitive grade as if you never attended that class. If the drop or withdrawal changes your enrollment status or hours, Veterans Affairs will require repayment of any amount you have received for attendance in that class unless you have mitigating circumstances. If Veterans Affairs has already paid tuition/fees to UNF, the University will bill you for the portion the VA asks the school to return due to a withdrawal. If you feel you have a valid reason for dropping the class or withdrawing from a class, you can write to Veterans Affairs and ask that you be allowed to maintain your prevailing rate of pay up to the last date of attendance in the course(s). The new rate of pay would be effective the day after your last date of attendance. For instructions on submitting a statement to VA, please call 1-888-GI-BILL-1.

    If you claim mitigating circumstances, Veterans Affairs will require in-depth statements and supporting documentation before allowing payment for a course from which you dropped, withdrew, or were dropped by the instructor. Mitigating circumstances Veterans Affairs may accept include:

    1. Illness or injury of the veteran
    2. Death, illness, or serious injury of a family member
    3. Relocation due to employment
    4. Work schedule conflict
    5. Hardships

    If you have other reasons for dropping or withdrawing, you may also write to Veterans Affairs and provide them with the reasons.

    If you withdraw from a course or withdraw from all courses after the last date to withdraw, you may be assigned a punitive grade. This grade will be calculated into your grade point average as an "F". Veterans Affairs will, in this case, allow payment at the prevailing rates of pay up to the last date of attendance as reported by the instructor. The new rate of pay will begin the day after the last date of attendance.

  • How do I request to NOT be certified for a semester or course?
    If you do not want to be certified for a given semester or course, it is your responsibility to "Opt Out" and notify the Military and Veterans Resource Center (MVRC) by the last day of Add/Drop, which is the fifth day of classes, for the term in question. You may notify the MVRC by requesting and completing an Opt Out request form. The form can be picked up in Bldg. 2, Room 1100 or emailed to you. Please note that the form requires a handwritten signature.
  • Can I take a course by independent study and receive payment for it?
    Possibly. For VA purposes, such courses or subjects must be accredited and lead to a standard college degree or a certificate program at an Institution of Higher Learning and consist of a prescribed program of study with provision for interaction between the student and the faculty member. Specific approval of these courses by the state approving agency is required in order for VA benefits to be authorized. Supporting documents should be submitted to a School Certifying Official.
  • Can I take a course at another institution and receive payment for it?
    Students should follow the Concurrent Enrollment requirements for the University. In addition, G.I. Bill® recipients must pick up a VA Concurrent Enrollment form from the Military and Veterans Resource Center (MVRC). The form should be completed with your academic adviser and returned to the MVRC for final signature.
  • How can I determine what classes I should take?

    The University of North Florida catalog outlines all majors available at UNF and the required courses for graduation in each. All courses must be selected directly from the degree evaluation/program of study as it appears in the catalog in effect at the time of your enrollment into the university. You will be certified only for those courses required for your degree. For example, if you are enrolled in the Accounting program and register for Photography 101, you will not be paid for that course, as it is not required for graduation in the Accounting program.

    You are required to meet with an Academic Advisor in your college to establish a Degree Evaluation specific to your program and transferred credits.

  • Can I take remedial or deficiency courses and still get paid for it?
    Most VA education benefit programs allow students to take remedial or deficiency courses. Remedial courses can only be certified if there is a proven need for the course by a placement test or if the course is required as a prerequisite for another course in your major.
  • Will my VA benefits cover the cost of tutoring?
    Tutorial assistance is available as a supplement to your regular education benefit if you are receiving VA educational assistance at the half-time or greater rate and have a deficiency in a subject, making tutoring necessary. For eligibility and VA Form 22-1990t visit the G.I. Bill® website.
  • What is military Tuition Assistance (TA)?

    Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application processes, and restrictions. This money is usually paid directly to the institution by the individual services.

    Active duty service members who intend to use military Tuition Assistance (TA) should contact their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor before registration to confirm the availability of tuition assistance funds.

    For more information, contact your military branch for details on your eligibility and the branch's process for submitting the tuition assistance forms.

  • I qualify for Tuition Assistance or EDD. Where do I submit my paperwork?

    Students seeking to use tuition assistance should:

    • Request a tuition assistance voucher from their respective branch of service, and
    • Visit their Education Services Officer or Education Counselor.

    Each branch handles tuition assistance differently. Some branches will send tuition assistance vouchers electronically while some require the student to submit a hard copy to their school. Please visit Student Financial Services to submit your voucher or confirm processing.

    Students cannot use Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® benefits and DoD tuition assistance during the same term.

    Please note: Education Dollars for Duty (EDD) is also processed through Student Financial Services.

  • How can I determine the total cost of attendance for my program of study?

    Visit UNF's College Navigator site. These figures are projected estimates based on current tuition/fee rates. Total program cost may be estimated by multiplying the annual cost estimate by the number of years in the academic program. Actual total program cost is subject to change based on a number of factors such as tuition/fee rates set by the Florida legislature, Florida Board of Governors or UNF Board of Trustees and future aid eligibility. Because UNF cannot account for every unforeseen variable that may affect total program cost, an individual’s actual total program cost may be lower or higher. UNF will keep the total program costs estimates up-to-date based on the most recent information available.

    Estimated Chapter 33 Tuition & Fees Entitlement Based on Eligibility Tiers

    ​Eligibility Tier

    (as indicated on Certificate of Eligibility)

    ​Estimated Tuition & Fees Per Academic Year

    (based on 30 hours of undergraduate enrollment)
















    Estimated Chapter 33 MHA Entitlement, based on 100% Eligibility

    Monthly Housing Allowance

    (Via GI Bill® Comparison Tool)​

    ​Books and Supplies

    (Up to $1,000 annually)

    ​$1,674 per month

    ​$41.67 per credit hour

  • Where can I find UNF's College Scorecard?
    UNF's College Scorecard can help students determine the average cost of an education program, allows you to calculate your own personal net price, shows our overall graduation rate, and UNF’s average salary after completion. In addition, the scorecard shows the percentage of students receiving federal loans, the median total debt after graduation and repayment rate.