Military and Veterans Resource Center
Welcome to the Military and Veterans Resource Center (MVRC)!
At this time, due to COVID-19 safety precautions, the MVRC is assisting students by appointment only. Contact email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
The MVRC was established in 2009 to serve as the primary point of contact for active duty military, veterans and their family members on campus. The center is committed to ensuring that military-affiliated students successfully make the transition from the military environment to campus life and are assisted in their progress toward completing their academic degree. The MVRC also serves as a resource to veteran employees, providing guidance and referrals to assist with coaching, mentoring, and integration into the campus community.
The center's overall goal is to deliver tangible tools and services to optimize academic success leading to graduation and employment opportunities. This effort involves collaboration with other offices on campus:
- Four VA Certifying Officials and a Transition Coach
- Lounge and Group Study Rooms
- Computer Workstations with Free Printing
- Kitchen with Free Coffee, Refrigerator, Microwave
- Daily Use Lockers
- Fax Machine and Copier
- Notary Services Available with Advance Notice
- Special Programs and Events
- Scholarships for Veterans and Military Dependents
Certifying Officials Can Assist Students With:
- Understanding and applying for VA educational benefits to include the Montgomery G.I. Bill® (30), Vocational Rehabilitation (31), Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (33), Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (35), and Montgomery - Selected Reserve (1606).
- Completing the required processes to utilize VA educational benefits at UNF.
- Understanding compensation for VA educational benefits and student financial responsibilities.
- Transition support services, including but not limited to: job search assistance, scholarships and benefits counseling.
- Referral to counseling services for readjustment or stress management assistance.
- Referral to tutoring services to ensure academic success.
- Coordination with other on-campus, community and VA resources to best assist current students.
Certifying Officials Can Connect Students With:
- Student Financial Services for tuition assistance and Education Dollars for Duty information.
- One Stop for financial aid advising.
- College or Undergraduate Studies for academic advising.
- Career Services for job search and professional skills training.
- Referrals to other services to assistance veterans and their family members.
Caron Johnson, Assistant Director of the Military and Veterans Resource Center, had the honor of participating in the graduate hooding of Air Force veteran Katie Vogel signifying her successful completion of the Global MBA program in Fall 2018.
The MVRC presented Ryan Geddings, President of the Student Veterans of America (SVA) UNF Chapter, with the Veteran Student Recognition Award during Osprey Basketball's Military Appreciation Night on Nov. 29, 2018. Ryan has worked diligently to reestablish SVA on campus and create initiatives and fun events focused on veterans and their family members. He is an Air Force veteran having served 12 years, deploying twice to Iraq and three times to Afghanistan, as a small arms instructor and repairman. He is currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in Computer and Information Sciences and is working with classmates to create a project tracking program for 5 STAR Veterans Center. View past winners or nominate a student here.
The MVRC hosted a Veterans Day Tribute on Nov. 8, 2018 to honor students, staff, alumni and community members who have served in the military. Major General Douglas Burnett, UNF Trustee and retired Adjutant General of Florida, was the guest speaker. The ceremony included a service song medley performed by the UNF Brass Quintet; UNF Army ROTC cadets presented the colors.
Students and staff members sorted snack donations and wrote letters to service members during Supplies for Soldiers on April 10, 2018. The drive was organized by the Military and Veterans Resource Center and Volunteer Services in support of the Greater Jacksonville Area USO. The snacks will be distributed to service members and their families as they travel through the airport USO Welcome Center. Thank you to everyone who donated, including the students of the UNF Chemistry Club who handmade donations.
Ospreys, alumni, and community members can now order their own customized paver in Veterans Plaza! Veterans Plaza is a beautiful area of campus that proudly honors military veterans at UNF - and you can now become a permanent part of the space. Proceeds from the paver sales benefit the Military and Veterans Resource Center. Order your paver today!
Texas Roadhouse at the St. Johns Town Center invited the Student Veterans of America UNF Chapter to fund raise during their "Friends and Family" opening in December 2017. The UNF SVA was able to raise $3,500 in support of their club due to the generosity of the diners and the Texas Roadhouse staff, who graciously donated all alcohol sales! Thank you Texas Roadhouse, and great work SVA!