I. OBJECTIVE & PURPOSE
The purpose of this policy is to establish the parameters of Academic Freedom for University non-unit Faculty.
II. STATEMENT OF POLICY
Academic freedom and responsibility apply to teaching, research, and creative activity, and assigned service.
- Non-unit Faculty shall be free to:
- Cultivate a spirit of inquiry and scholarly criticism and present and discuss their own academic subjects, frankly and forthrightly, with freedom and confidence.
- Select instructional materials and determine grades in accordance with University procedure.
- Engage in scholarly and creative activity and publish the results in a manner consistent with their professional obligations.
- Non-unit Faculty shall have the responsibility to:
- Objectively and skillfully present a variety of scholarly opinions on the subject matter.
- Be forthright and honest in the pursuit and communication of scientific and scholarly knowledge.
- Respect students, staff, and colleagues and not exploit students for private advantage.
- Respect the integrity of the evaluation process with regard to students, staff, and colleagues, so that it reflects their true merit.
- Contribute to the orderly and effective functioning of the academic unit and/or the University and act in a collegial manner in all interactions.
- Represent themselves as institutional representatives
Adopted by the University of North Florida Board of Trustees as part of the University's Personnel Program on January 26, 2006.