Direct Grad PLUS Loan Instructions
Every step must be complete at least two weeks before the end of the eligible enrollment period to provide necessary processing time.
Step 1: Apply for a Direct Grad PLUS Loan
- You must have a FAFSA Student Aid Report on file for the application aid year to be considered for a Grad PLUS Loan.
- Go to www.studentloans.gov and sign in to your profile from the Manage My Direct Loan menu. You will need your FSA ID (the same one you used for your FAFSA) to complete. If you do not remember your FSA ID, visit the Department of Education’s FSA ID website: www.fsaid.ed.gov.
- Select “Complete PLUS Application Process” and select Graduate PLUS as your loan type.
- Follow the instructions to complete the Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan Application.
- If approved, you will be notified through UNF email of the approval.
If denied, you will receive a denial letter from the U.S. Department of Education.
Step 2: Sign a Master Promissory Note
- When going online to sign your Master Promissory Note, be sure to have your driver’s license, social security number and 2 references (with complete addresses) ready.
- Go to www.studentloans.gov and sign in.
- Select Complete Master Promissory Note.
- Select Graduate PLUS.
- Complete your Promissory Note. Be certain to choose UNF from the “Schools” drop down list to ensure timely delivery and processing of your loan.
- Save or print your Promissory Note for your records. Your promissory note does NOT need to be sent to UNF. We will be notified electronically that you have completed it.
Step 3: Complete Online Entrance Counseling
- If you did not complete Online Entrance Counseling as part of your MPN process, please follow the instructions below.
- Go to www.studentloans.gov. Sign in to your profile from the Manage My Direct Loan menu box.
- Select Complete Entrance Counseling.
- Select Graduate/Professional as your student level.
- This Entrance Counseling is a 20-30 minute online tutorial that serves to educate you on your rights and responsibilities as a loan borrower. Throughout the tutorial you will be asked questions which you must answer correctly to successfully complete the session.
- Print your Entrance Counseling confirmation page for your records. The confirmation page does NOT need to be submitted to UNF. We will receive notification electronically that you have completed it.
- If your application is denied but then later approved due to appeal or an endorser, contact One-Stop Student Services as soon as possible.
- Application decisions will expire after 180 days.