I. OBJECTIVE & PURPOSE
To create a policy requiring emergency assistance and accident/health insurance for all UNF students participating in a University activity abroad.
II. STATEMENT OF POLICY
- All UNF students participating in a University-approved activity abroad must demonstrate proof of emergency assistance coverage (including medical evacuation and repatriation of remains) and accident/health insurance coverage (for reasonable and customary charges of licensed medical facilities outside the U.S., subject to deductible and maximum total as provided by the policy) while traveling in a foreign country. Such coverage must be, at a minimum, for the specific program-defined duration of study and directly related travel time.
- Students participating in a UNF Faculty-led study abroad course will be required to have emergency assistance and accident/health insurance coverage applicable to their overseas activity. This requirement may be satisfied through one of the following methods:
- The Faculty Leader may arrange for such through the travel provider used. The insurance costs will be included in the course budget. The International Center must be provided proof of coverage for all student participants by the Faculty Leader at least three weeks before the departure date.
- If appropriate coverage (emergency assistance and accident/health) is not provided by the Faculty Leader through a travel provider or other agency, the International Center will enroll students in a group accident health insurance and emergency assistance plan for study abroad. Costs of this coverage will be included in the course budget.
- Students traveling abroad on a UNF co-curricular activity (e.g., music performance, athletic competition, service learning activity, UNF student club activity) will be required to have emergency assistance and accident/health insurance applicable to their overseas activity. The UNF faculty/staff sponsor(s) must work with the UNF International Center to verify that coverage is arranged by either purchase through the travel provider or purchase through the International Center, following the same procedures as for Faculty-Led Study Abroad courses above.
- Individual students who travel abroad under UNF funding or under other UNF auspices outside of a UNF faculty/staff-led activity, i.e., for independent study, research, international conference attendance, individual study abroad as a UNF registered student, etc., must verify with the International Center that they have emergency assistance and accident/health insurance applicable to their overseas activity. The UNF International Center shall have final responsibility in determining if the insurance requirement has been met. Students who have not provided proof of appropriate insurance, either through an existing insurance plan or a purchased one, will not be provided UNF funding or approved for travel, nor will they be approved to register for UNF courses.