The purpose of this regulation is to prohibit illicit discharges to the University of North Florida’s Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) in compliance with Phase II of the Environmental Protection Agency’s National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program.
UNF President: Pursuant to UNF's Board of Trustees' Resolution on Presidential Authority, the President of the University has the authority, responsibility, and duty to confirm that UNF is in compliance with all applicable laws, rules, regulations, and requirements and to minimize University risk and manage the University's risk management program.
Employees, Students, Contractors, and Visitors: It is the obligation of UNF employees, students, contractors, and visitors to:
- refrain from discharging any illicit materials into the UNF storm sewer system; and
- report any observed illicit discharges to the Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) or the University Police Department (UPD).
Colleges, Departments, Units, and Contractors: It is the obligation of UNF Deans, Chairs, Directors, and contractors to:
- take appropriate actions to ensure that illicit materials are not discharged to the UNF storm sewer system in the course of activities related to their operations or the operations of those working under their purview;
- ensure that if an illicit discharge is discovered within a College's, Department's, unit's, or contractor's jurisdiction, it will ensure that the discharge has ceased and that appropriate measures have been taken to remediate the situation;
- report all illicit discharges to UNF EH&S or UPD; and
- bear the financial responsibility of remediating any environmental contamination resulting from illicit discharges related to their activities or the activities of those working under their purview.
Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S): It is the obligation of UNF EH&S to:
- respond to all reports of illicit discharges and take necessary actions to mitigate releases, including procuring and directing cleanup operations, and, if required remedial actions are beyond the ability of EH&S, contact a contractor to complete the remediation;
- notify environmental authorities, as required by law, in the event of an illicit discharge;
- provide guidance to the UNF community regarding the prevention of illicit discharges.