I. OBJECTIVE AND PURPOSE
As a leader in higher education, the University of North Florida not only develops minds, but promotes health enhancing behaviors by providing an environment that enables improved health status. Scientific evidence on the health risks associated with smoking and exposure to second-hand smoke is well documented. By implementing the Smoke- Free Campus Regulation, the University of North Florida is seeking to enhance the health of our students, faculty, staff and visitors.
UNF is joining a national movement in creating a smoke- free environment. Following an in-depth review of the harm caused by second-hand smoke exposure and the level to which smoking use contributes to chronic disease and death, the UNF campus community made the decision to go smoke -free. Support for this decision is based on current scientific research and data gathered from UNF students, faculty and staff supporting the initiative.
- "Smoking" means inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying any lighted or heated cigar, cigarette, pipe or other inhalant device in which a tobacco or other material is smoked (with the exception of smoke free electronic cigarettes, which are permitted outdoors only and not to be used inside any building on campus).
- Electronic cigarettes or "e-cigarette" means any electronic oral device, such as one composed of a heating element, battery, and/or electronic circuit, which provides a vapor of nicotine or any other substances, and the use or inhalation of which simulates smoking. The term shall include any such device, whether manufactured, distributed, marketed or sold as an e-cigarette, e-cigar, e-pipe, or any other product name or descriptor.
- "Tobacco Product" means forms of tobacco, including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, shisha, pipes and water pipes (hookah).
- "Smoking related" means the use of tobacco brand or corporate name, trademark, logo, symbol, motto, or selling message that is identifiable with those used for any brand of tobacco products or company which manufactures such products.
- "Members of the University community" includes faculty, staff, students, volunteers, contractors, and visitors.
- "Property" includes buildings, athletic and entertainment facilities (both indoors and outside), sidewalks, roadways, parking lots, and grounds. This includes University owned, rented or leased vehicles and also applies to personal vehicles while parked on University property.
- "University Controlled Properties" refers to University owned properties including those leased to others as well as properties leased in their entirety to the UNF.
II. STATEMENT OF REGULATION
The University of North Florida is designated Smoke -Free. The act of smoking is prohibited on University controlled properties.
- This regulation applies to all members of the University community.
- The sale of smoking products is prohibited.
- The free distribution of smoking products is prohibited.
- Smoking related advertising or sponsorship is prohibited.
- The University will continue to provide accessible smoke addiction treatment assistance for faculty, staff and students and will publicize its availability.
The University's expectation is that all faculty, staff, students and visitors to campus will adhere to this regulation. The University understands that the success of this regulation will depend on the thoughtfulness, consideration and cooperation of smokers and nonsmokers. Faculty, staff and students have a collective responsibility to promote the safety and health of the campus community and therefore share in the responsibility of enforcement. Individuals observed smoking are to be reminded in a professional and respectful manner of the university regulation.
To report a violation of the FCIAA:
Mail: 4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin C-23, Tallahassee, Florida 32399-1743
The following information is required to process a complaint:
Name of workplace where violation is occurring
Workplace's mailing address, city, county and zip code
Nature of the violation (Example: smoking in an enclosed indoor workplace)
If available, provide a telephone number and name of the person in charge of the workplace
Exclusions and Special Situations:
Under limited and specific instances there is potential for an exemption to the regulation as approved by the University President.
Responsible University Office:
University Office: Department of Health Promotion
Office Website URL: http://www.unf.edu/recwell/
Authority: Board of Governors Regulation 1.001(7)(g)