Program Description for Communication
Concentration: Public Relations
Degree: Bachelor of Science
Grades of C or higher are required in all Foundation and Major Courses
- B.S. in Communication majors must complete a minimum of 72 hours outside of journalism and mass communication.
- B.S. in Communication majors can take no more than 6 credit hours for internships.
Prerequisites (18 credits)
Course cannot include ENC or LIT prefix courses. 18 hours of coursework outside the major and beyond the 36 hours of general education requirements.
SELECT 18 HRS OUTSIDE MAJOR
Foundation (6 credits)
SPC2608 Fundamentals of Speech (3 Credits)
STA2014 (GM)Elem Statistics-Health/SS (3 Credits)
Major Requirements (19 credits)
MMC1004 Media Literacy (3 Credits)
Co-req: MMC3105 Advanced Writing For The Media (3 credits)
MMC3105 Advanced Writing For The Media (3 Credits)
Co-reqs: MMC 3614 Theories and Media Effects (3 credits), MMC 1004 Media Literacy (3 credits)
MMC3200 Law and Ethics of Communicat (3 Credits)
- Prereqs: MMC1004 Media Literacy (3 credits)
MMC3614 Media Theories and Effects (3 Credits)
- Prereqs: MMC1004; Co-req: MMC3105
MMC4420 Mass Communications Research (3 Credits)
- Prereqs: MMC1004, MMC3105, MMC3614, and Statistics (STA2023 - Elementary Statistics for Business for the Advertising track or STA2014 Elementary Statistics-Health/SS for the PR track and the Multimedia and Journalism & Production track.)
- Advertising and Public Relations Concentrations select either MMC4422 Advertising and PR Research (3credits) or MMC4420 Mass Communication Research.
- Prereqs: MMC1004, MMC3105, and ADV3008 or PUR3000
MMC3942 Pre Internship (1 Credit)
Prereqs: MMC1004, MMC 3105 Sophomore or higher standing as a Communication major; major GPA of 2.0 or higher. Coreq: Permission of Instructor
MMC4975 Internship Senior Project (3 Credits)
Prereqs: MMC1004, MMC 3200, MMC 3614, MMC 3105, MMC3942, MMC4420 and Senior standing (at least 90 credits), at least 3 courses required in the student's concentration, and both a UNF and Major GPA of 2.0 or higher.
Public Relations Concentration students must have taken PUR3000, PUR3100 and PUR4801 before taking MMC4975.
For Multimedia Journalism track students, JOU 3109, Jou 3332, are prerequisites before taking MMC 4975.
Major Electives (21 credits)
PUR3000 Principles of Pub Relations (3 Credits)
Prereqs: MMC1004, MMC3105
PUR3100 Public Relations Writing (3 Credits)
Prereqs:MMC1004, MMC 3105, PUR3000
ADV3203 Advertising Media Graphics (3 Credits)
PUR4800 Public Relations Campaigns (3 Credits)
Prereqs:MMC 1004, MMC 3105, PUR 3000, PUR 3100, PUR 4801, & MMC4420
PUR4801 Public Relations Cases (3 Credits)
Prereqs: MMC 1004, PUR 3000 & MMC 3105
SELECT 2 FROM THE FOLLOWING:(6cr)
- PUR4400 Crisis Communication (3 credits)
Prereqs: PUR3000 & MMC3105
- ADV3008 Principles of Advertising (3 credits)
Prereqs: MMC3105 & MMC1004
- ADV3101 Advertising Creative Strategy (3 credits)
Prereqs: ADV3008, MMC1004, & MMC3105
- ADV 3200C Advertising Design (3 credits)
Prereqs: ADV3008, ADV3101, ADV3203, MMC1004, & MMC3105
- ADV4030 Strategic Branding (3 credits)
- MMC3402 Political Advertising (3 credits)
- MMC4251 Creating Health Messages for Mass Media (3 credits)
Prereqs: MMC3105 with a grade of C or higher
- SPC4064 Public Speaking for Professionals (3 credits)
- MMC4630 Understanding Emerging Media (3 credits)
Prereqs: MMC1004, MMC3105, and one of the following: PUR3000, ADV3008 or MMC4500
- PUR4450 3 Public Relations and Event Planning (3 credits)
Prereqs: MMC1004, MMC3105, PUR3000, & PUR 3100
- RTV3234 Announcing & Performance (3 credits)
- MMC 3001 Social Media for Communication (3 credits)
Prereqs: MMC3105 or permission of instructor
- MMC4732 Social Media Management (3 credits)
48 Upper Level Hours (48 credits)
In order to qualify to graduate with a Bachelor's degree from the College of Arts and Sciences you must earn a minimum of 48 upper level credits out of the total 120 degree applicable required credit hours. Upper level courses are numbered from 3000 - 4999. Dual Degree and Double Majors should consult their Advisor.
48 HOURS 48 upper level hours