Program Description for Communication
Degree: Bachelor of Science
Grades of C or higher are required in all Foundation and Major Courses
- B.S. in Communication majors must complete a minimum of 72 hours outside of journalism and mass communication.
- B.S. in Communication majors can take no more than 6 credit hours for internships.
Prerequisites (18 credits)
Course cannot include ENC or LIT prefix courses. 18 hours of coursework outside the major and beyond the 36 hours of general education requirements.
SELECT 18 HRS OUTSIDE MAJOR
Foundation (12 credits)
SPC2608 Fundamentals of Speech (3 Credits)
STA2023 (GM) Elem Statistics-Business (3 Credits)
ENC3250 (GW)Professional Communication (3 Credits)
- Students should select the sections listed for Advertising majors - ENC3250 G(W)Prof. Comm:Advertising
SELECT 1 COURSE FROM BELOW:
- MAR 3023 Principles of Marketing (3 credits)
- ADV 3812 Integrated Maketing Communication (3 credits)
Major Requirements (19 credits)
MMC1004 Media Literacy (3 Credits)
Co-req: MMC3105 Advanced Writing For The Media (3 credits)
MMC3105 Advanced Writing For The Media (3 Credits)
Co-reqs: MMC 3614 Theories and Media Effects (3 credits), MMC 1004 Media Literacy (3 credits)
MMC3200 Law and Ethics of Communicat (3 Credits)
- Prereqs: MMC1004 Media Literacy (3 credits)
MMC3614 Media Theories and Effects (3 Credits)
- Prereqs: MMC1004; Co-req: MMC3105
MMC4420 Mass Communications Research (3 Credits)
- Prereqs: MMC1004, MMC3105, MMC3614, and Statistics (STA2023 - Elementary Statistics for Business for the Advertising track or STA2014 Elementary Statistics-Health/SS for the PR track and the Multimedia and Journalism & Production track.)
- Advertising and Public Relations Concentrations select either MMC4422 Advertising and PR Research (3credits) or MMC4420 Mass Communication Research.
- Prereqs: MMC1004, MMC3105, and ADV3008 or PUR3000
MMC3942 Pre Internship (1 Credit)
Prereqs: MMC1004, MMC 3105 Sophomore or higher standing as a Communication major; major GPA of 2.0 or higher. Coreq: Permission of Instructor
MMC4975 Internship Senior Project (3 Credits)
Prereqs: MMC1004, MMC 3200, MMC 3614, MMC 3105, MMC3942, MMC4420 and Senior standing (at least 90 credits), at least 3 courses required in the student's concentration, and both a UNF and Major GPA of 2.0 or higher.
Public Relations Concentration students must have taken PUR3000, PUR3100 and PUR4801 before taking MMC4975.
For Multimedia Journalism track students, JOU 3109, Jou 3332, are prerequisites before taking MMC 4975.
Major Electives (21 credits)
ADV3008 Principles of Advertising (3 Credits)
- Prereq: MMC1004, MMC3105 and MAR3023 or ADV 3812 Integrated Marketing Communication
ADV3101 Advertising Creative Strategy (3 Credits)
- Prereqs: ADV 3008, MMC1004 & MMC 3105
ADV3203 Advertising Media Graphics (3 Credits)
- Prereq: MMC1004 Media Literacy (3 Credits)
ADV3300 Media Planning (3 Credits)
- Prereqs: ADV3008, MMC1004, MMC3105, and either MMC4420 or ADV3500
ADV4800 Advertising Campaigns (3 Credits)
Prereqs: ADV3008, ADV3101, MMC1004, MMC3105, ADV3203 and MMC4420 or ADV3500
SELECT 2 FROM THE FOLLOWING:(6cr)
- ADV 3500 Advertising Research Methods (3 credits)
Prereqs: ADV 3008, MMC1004, MMC3105, and MMC3614
- ADV 3200C Advertising Design (3 credits)
Prereqs: MMC1004, MMC3105, ADV3008, ADV3101, ADV3203
- ADV4030 Strategic Branding (3 credits)
Prereqs: ADV3008 or PUR3000
- PUR3000 Principles of Public Relations (3 credits)
Prereqs: MMC1004 and MMC3105
- MMC 3402 Political Advertising (3 credits)
- MMC 4630 Understanding Emerging Media (3 credits)
Prereqs: MMC1004, MMC3105, and one of the following: PUR3000 or ADV3008 or MMC4500
- MMC 3001 Social Media for Communication (3 credits)
MMC3105 or permission of instructor
- MMC4732 Social Media Management (3 credits)
48 Upper Level Hours (48 credits)
In order to qualify to graduate with a Bachelor's degree from the College of Arts and Sciences you must earn a minimum of 48 upper level credits out of the total 120 degree applicable required credit hours. Upper level courses are numbered from 3000 - 4999. Dual Degree and Double Majors should consult their Advisor.
48 HOURS 48 upper level hours