Civil Engineering (MS in Civil Engineering)
Major: Civil Engineering
Degree: MS in Civil Engineering
The Civil Engineering Master's Degree (MSCE) consists of a minimum of thirty credit hours.
Students in the Civil Engineering Major may select either a thesis or a non-thesis option. Students in the Coastal and Port Engineering major must complete a thesis.
All programs of study must be approved by the School of Engineering Graduate Program Director prior to the end of the second semester of graduate study. UNF Conditions for the Degree:
- A GPA of 3.0 must be maintained. If the GPA falls below 3.0, the student will be placed on Academic Probation.
- At least 18 hours of coursework at the 6000-level must be applied to the degree.
- All coursework for a graduate or post-baccalaureate professional degree must be completed wthin six years of a master's degree-seeking student being admitted to a graduate program. All exceptions must be approved by the student's Graduate Program Director and the Dean of the Graduate School.
School of Engineering Conditions for the Degree:
- All coursework must be completed with a grade of "C" or better.
- A GPA of 3.0 must be maintained. If the GPA falls below 3.0, academic probation will result.
- No more than 6.0 hours of transfer coursework can be applied to the degree. However, a student may transfer up to 12.0 hours from online graduate classes taken within the Florida State University System, provided the total of all transfer courses does not exceed 12 credit hours.
- A student may not receive 5000-level credit for a cross-listed 4000/5000-level course previously completed at the 4000-level. Exceptions to this rule may be considered with documented evidence of significant and appropriate differences in content between the courses.
Major Requirements (6 credits)
Required Courses for the Civil Engineering Major
EGN6456 Advanced Engineering Analysis (3 Credits)
An approved graduate mathematics course may be substituted for this course. See the list of approved electives in the School of Engineering office.
EGN6457 Adv. Res. Methods for Engineer (3 Credits)
Major Electives (12 credits)
electives or other Civil Engineering electives as approved by the Graduate Advisor.
SELECT 12 credit hours of electives
- CGN6125 Legal Considerations in Engineering and Construction (3)
- CEG5304 Applied Engineering Geology (3)
- CEG6016 Adv Geotechnical Engineering (3)
- CEG6018 Applied Computational Geotechnics (3)
- CEG6118 Advanced Foundation Engineering (3)
- CEG6320 Drilled Shafts in Rock (3)
- CEG6806 Ground and Site Improvement (3)
- CES5326 Bridge Engineering (3)
- CES5706 Advanced Reinforced Concrete (3)
- CES6144 Matrix Structural Analysis (3)
- CES6715 Prestressed Concrete (3)
- CES6116 Finite Element (3)
- CGN5010 Math Methods for Engineers (3)
- CGN 5320 Adv. GIS Applications in Civil Eng. (3)
- CGN6875C Adv Concrete Materials/Methods (3)
- CGN5406 Risk Assessment (3)
- CWR5545 Water Resources Systems (3)
- CWR5305 Stormwater Management (3)
- CWR6005 Introduction to Coastal Engineering (3)
- CWR6150 Engineering Hydrology (3)
- CWR6236 River Engineering/Sediment Transport (3)
- CWR5125 Groundwater Flow and Containment Trans (3)
- CWR6605 Major River Systems of Florida (3)
- CWR5007 Coastal Processes (3)
- CWR5008 Intro to Coastal and Port Engineering (3)
- CWR5015 Field Methods (3)
- CWR5025 Water Wave Mechanics (3)
- CWR5824 Coastal & Estuarine Hydrodynamics (3)
- CWR5830 Port & Harbor Engineering (3)
- CWR5531 Numerical Modeling of Coastal Systems (3)
- CWR6560 Adv Numerical Modeling of Coast Systems (3)
- ENV5640 Design of Water Qual Mgmt Facilities (3)
- ENV6510 Aquatic Chemical Processes (3)
- ENV6511 Biological Treatment Systems (3)
- ENV6519 Physical/Chemical Treatment Systems (3)
- TTE5805 Advanced Highway Geometric Design (3)
- TTE5255 Traffic Signal Systems (3)
- TTE5205 Operational Anal of Trans Facilities (3)
- TTE6272 Intelligent Transportation Systems (3)
- TTE6315 Highway Safety Analysis (3)
- CGN5932 Special Topics in Civil Engineering (variable 1 to 3 credit hours) can be repeated up to 6 credits
- CGN6933 Special Topics in Civil Engineering (variable 1 to 3 credit hours) can be repeated up to 6 credits
- CGN6900 Supervised Graduate Research (3) can be repeated up to 6 credit hours.
Culminating Experience (12 credits)
Select sufficient hours of Non-Civil Engineering Electives at the graduate level to earn a total of 30 credits in the program. Civil Engineering electives may be used to satisfy this requirement.
- Thesis Option: Select up to 6 credits of Non-Civil Engineering Electives in addition to thesis requirements. Electives must be approved by the Graduate Advisor.
- Non-Thesis Option: Select up to 12 credits of Non-Civil Engineering Electives. A list of approved electives is available in the School of Engineering.
Take CGN6970 for 1 to 6 credits in addition to two approved electives for an additional 6 credits. CGN6970 may be repeated for up to 6 credits.
Take 12 credits of approved electives.