Program Description for Building Construction
Major: Building Construction
Degree: Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Science in Building Construction Management (120 Credits).
Department of Construction Management Policies:
- All courses must be completed with a grade of C or better unless otherwise noted.
- Once enrolled at UNF, all major and minor courses must be completed at UNF.
- Students completing the UNF General Education requirements must take ENC3250 (GW) Professional Communication as one of the courses for the "Writing Effectively" requirement.
- ECO2013 Principals of Macroeconomics counts as the Social Science General Education Requirements so students need 18 credits to meet all other General Education. See catalog for all General Education requirements.
BCM PROGRAM TOTAL IS 60 UPPER DIVISION SEMESTER HOURS
- ** Internship can be taken for up to 6 credit hours, 3 for internship and 3 for a BCN elective selection. An extra BCN elective class can also be taken to take the place of the internship requirement upon approval. Study Abroad can be taken for a maximum of 9 credit hours.
Prerequisites (35 credits)
Building Construction Management Prerequisites: (11 Courses - 35 Credits) (43 credits including MAC1105, MAC1114 and PHY1020 prerequisites for PHY2053)
- All lower-level prerequisite courses must be completed before upper-level BCN classes are attempted.
- Students may begin taking upper-level courses in construction when they have prerequisite hours remaining to complete a full schedule. Failure to complete the final prerequisite hours in the following term will cancel any further upper-level construction class registration.
ACG2021 Prin of Financial Accounting (3 Credits)
STA2023 (GM) Elem Statistics-Business (3 Credits)
ECO2013 Principles of Macroeconomics (3 Credits)
(Counts as Social Science for Gen Ed)
ECO2023 Principles of Microeconomics (3 Credits)
CGS1100 Computer Applications for Busi (3 Credits)
CGSX531 Integrated Software or CGS1570 Microcomputer Application Software are acceptable substitutes. Approved courses with the CGS prefix may be used to satisfy this requirement. See your advisor.
MAC2233 (GM)Calculus for Business (3 Credits)
MAC2311 Calculus I is an acceptable substitute.
BCN1210C Construction Materials (3 Credits)
BCN1251 Construction Drawing (3 Credits)
BCN2405 Introduction to Structures (3 Credits)
PHY2053 Algebra-Based Physics I (3 Credits)
SELECT ONE of the following:
- PHY 2054 (4) College Physics II & PHY 2054 L College Physics II Lab Or
- CHM 2045 (4) General Chemistry I & CHM2045L General Chemistry I Lab
Prerequisites for CHM2045: High School Chemistry or CHM1025 and lab
Core Requirements (46 credits)
Building Construction Management Core: (46 Credits)
BCN1005C Intro to Construction Mgmnt (1 Credit)
BCN2280C Surveying: Construction Layout (3 Credits)
BCN3782C Intro Construction Computing (3 Credits)
BCN3223C Soils and Foundations (3 Credits)
BCN3762 Building Const Design and Code (3 Credits)
BCN3611C Construction Cost Estimating (3 Credits)
BCN4753 Construction Finance (3 Credits)
BCN4591C Mech and Elec Sys (3 Credits)
BCN3224 Construction Techniques (3 Credits)
BCN4708 Construction Documents/Contrac (3 Credits)
BCN4431 Structural Systems (3 Credits)
BCN4709 Construction Proj Mgt Cap (3 Credits)
BCN4720 Constr Project Plan/Scheduling (3 Credits)
BCN4612 Advanced Construction Estimati (3 Credits)
BCN4730 Construction Safety (3 Credits)
BCN4944 Construction Management Intern (3 Credits)
Business Course Requirement (12 credits)
ACG2071 Prin Managerial Accounting (3 Credits)
BUL3130 Legal Environment of Business (3 Credits)
MAN3025 Principles of Management (3 Credits)
MAR3023 Principles of Marketing (3 Credits)
Major Electives (9 credits)
BCM Elective Courses (3 Courses - 9 Credits)
CHOOSE three elective courses from
- BCN3012 History of Construction (3)
- BCN4751C Housing and Land Development (3)
- BCN4758 Advanced Residential Construction (3)
- BCN4587C Green Construction/Sustainability (3)
- BCN4302 Building Information Modeling (c)
- BCN4870C Heavy Civil Construction (3)
- BCN4871C Commerical Construction (3)
- BCN4801C Industrial Construction (3)
- BCN4956 Study Abroad: Construction Management** (3)
- BCN4944 Construction Management Internship** (3)
- BCN4775 International Construction (3)
- BCN4240 Construction Equipment (3)
- FIN3403 Financial Management (3) (Fulfills Minor in Business Administration Requirements)
BCN4944 Construction Management Internship** may be taken for up to 6 credits: 3 credits for the internship core requirement and 3 credits for a major elective. An extra BCN course may be taken in lieu of the internship requirement. Study abroad** can be taken for a maximum of 9 credit hours.
Minor Electives (3 credits)
Optional Business Administration Minor requirement (3 Credit Hours):
FIN3403 Financial Management (3 Credits)
(Requires 3 additional credits NOT included in the 120 total program credits)