Major: Political Science
Concentration: Int'l Rel/Comparative Politics
Degree: Bachelor of Arts
Prerequisites (6 credits)
Requires grades of C or above.
POS2041 Intro to American Government (3 Credits)
SELECT 1 INTRO POLI SCIENCE COURSE
Any 2 introductory political science courses with POS, CPO, or INR prefixes can be used
Core Requirements (18 credits)
Requires grades of C or above. (A GPA of 3.0 or higher is required for students in the Fast Track concentration)
POS3733 Research Design for Poli Sci (3 Credits)
POS3734 Research Analysis for Poli Sci (3 Credits)
POT3003 Political Thought and Action (3 Credits)
PAD4003 Public Administration (3 Credits)
SELECT 1 COURSE (3000/4000 LEVEL)
- POS 3413 American Presidency
- POS 3424 Congress & the Legislative Process
- POS 3606 U.S. Supreme Court
- CPO 4014 Comparative Politics: Frameworks for Analysis
- INR 4603 International Relations:Frameworks for Analysis
- INR 4703 International Political Economy
POS4930 Senior Seminar: Political Sci (3 Credits)
Prereqs: ALL 5 courses listed in the Core Requirement must be completed with a "C" or better grade and senior status
Major Electives (12 credits)
Select courses that have not been used in above areas.
SELECT 4 FROM THE FOLLOWING:
- CPO 3123 (FC) Politics & Society in Britain/Ireland (3 credits)
- CPO 3151 (FC) Politics & Society in France (3 credits)
- CPO 3351 (FC) Politics & Society in Brazil (3 credits)
- CPO 3402 (FC) Politics of Pakistan and Afghanistan (3 credits)
- CPO 3643 (FC) Politics & Society in Russia (3 credits)
- CPO 3213 (FC) Politics & Society in Sub-Saharan Africa (3 credits)
- CPO 4014 Framework Analysis for Comparative Politics (3 credits)
- CPO 4034 Third World Politics (3 credits)
- CPO 4930 ST: Comparative Politics (3 credits)
- INR 3016 Global Issues in Contemporary Politics (3 credits)
- INR 3084 Terrorism Today (3 credits)
- INR 3153 American Foreign Policy in the Middle East (3 credits)
- INR 3248 (FC) US Caribbean/Central American Relations (3 credits)
- INR 3443 International Law & Organization (3 credits)
- INR 4334 American Defense in the Age of Mass Destruction (3 credits)
- INR 4603 Framework Analysis for International Relations (3 credits)
- INR 4703 International Political Economy (3 credits)
- PAD 4832 Issues in Comparative Public Administration (3 credits)
- POS 3931 ST: Political Science (3 credits)
- INR 3102 Real World Policy (3 credits)
- POS 4905 Directed Individual Study (3 credits)
- POS 4932 ST: Political Science/Public Administration (3 credits)
- POS 4945 Internship/Field Experience (1-6 credits)
- PUP 4506 Evolution, Society, & Politics (3 credits)
A minor is required for this major.* (Credits will vary)
The minor must be selected from the list of approved minors, including those outside the college of the major.
See List of Minors in the Undergraduate Catalog. Minors are generally completed during the last 60 credit hours of your program. Your minor may require prerequisites, so choosing a minor early is beneficial. See your Advisor to declare a minor.
*(Double majors are exempt from a minor.)
Foreign Language/Foreign Cultures
Foreign Language (8 CHs)/Foreign Culture Requirement (6 CHs): All BA students in the College of Arts and Sciences are required to complete either (i) the Foreign Language option or (ii) the Foreign Culture option, in either case with grades of C or higher.
TAKE 8 HRS OF FOREIGN LANGUAGE
- Select one two-course sequence of Spanish, French, Chinese, German, Japanese, Latin, Russian, or American Sign Language.
- The first course in each of the two-course sequences is typically offered in the fall; the second course in each of the two-course sequences is typically offered in the spring.
- To determine whether to enroll in the first or the second course of the two-course French or Spanish sequences, incoming students with prior experience in French or Spanish must take a placement exam. Students who place above the beginning level will satisfy the Foreign Language option by earning a "C" or better in the second French or second Spanish course into which they have placed.
- Students who complete a 3000-level French or Spanish course with a "C" or above have demonstrated the mastery that is required in the two-course French or Spanish sequence and may request retroactive credit for the sequence. The retroactive credit will either be 3 or 6 credits, depending on their placement following the exam.
- This policy applies to Chinese as well, placement being determined by the professor of the program.
FC Foreign Culture Option
- Students who successfully completed 2 years of foreign language in high school have the option of taking 6 hours of foreign culture courses instead of 8 hours of college level foreign language.
- Foreign cultures contain (FC) in the course title.
- A complete list of foreign culture courses can be found in the Arts & Sciences Advising Office.
Free Electives (7 credits)
SELECT 7 HRS FREE ELECTIVES 3000/4000
This degree requires a minimum of 120 total hours with 48 upper (3000/4000) level hours. Free electives may be courses in any discipline (provided the required prerequisites are met) and they are the hours needed to satisfy the total hour requirement. These hours may vary (consult your advisor about free elective hours needed to graduate).