Modified Search for Visiting Faculty
For regular faculty searches, see Faculty Quick Guide
OASys Routing Queues
*Posting of a position vacancy is NOT required for visiting faculty positions.
If posting does NOT occur, follow ONLY steps 1, 2(1-2), and 5 below:
If posting does occur, follow the steps below EXCLUDING 2(3):
Step 1: AUTHORIZATION TO RECRUIT
- Academic Affairs, Department Deans and Budget Office will provide authorization to recruit.
- Contact AA at (904) 620-2700 with questions.
- Position numbers should not include VIS in the position number.
Step 2: RECRUITMENT
- If conducting a full search and posting the position on OASys, review the search and screen policies for faculty employment.
- Create the recruitment request for approved vacancy. (Refer to the OASys training resources page).
- Contact the office of EOD at (904) 620-2507 for questions.
- If NOT conducting an external search the posting will NOT be posted publicly on OASys:
- In the Special Instructions on the recruitment request, type "This posting is reserved for" and the full name and email address of the person being hired.
- Route the recruitment request to HR for approval. HR will post the position for Internal Posting Access and send you the Quicklink for the posting that the applicant will use to apply for the position.
- Once the applicant has applied, you will submit a hiring proposal for them. Refer to the Faculty Hiring Proposal quick guide for more information.
- If a search is conducted and posted publicly on OASys, route the recruitment request for EOD approval.
- Upon EOD approval, the recruitment request will be sent to the VP and then to HR Employment for authorization to post the Position Vacancy Announcement (PVA). The PVA will be posted online at the current job openings web page.
- A formal Search Committee is not required; instead, type the following in the Search Committee Composition space: Name(s), Title(s) of persons(s) responsible for reviewing and screening applicants and for making the final selection.
- After the recruitment request has been posted in OASys, only EOD-approved advertisements and/or postings may be placed in outside journals, publications and web sites. (Refer to the Diversity Recruitment Resource Guide.)
Step 3: RECEIVING APPLICATIONS ONLINE
- Applicants submit applications online via OASys, unless arranged as a reasonable accommodation for persons with certain disabilities.
- No applications, resumes or other materials are permitted to be accepted by the department unless submitted via OASys or specifically requested within the recruitment request.
- At the close of the application review date, EOD will certify and approve the applicant pool.
- EOD will inform the hiring official and point of contact of applicant pool approval via e-mail.(Applicant pool certification/approval allows for review of pool only. Candidates can be interviewed after the interview pool is certified/approved by the Dean/Hiring Official.)
- When reviewing applications, the status for individuals who have incomplete applications can be changed to reflect that and an automatic e-mail will be sent notifying them that their application is incomplete.
- The status for individuals who do not meet the minimum requirements can be changed to reflect that and they will become inactive applicants.
Step 4: INTERVIEWS
- Obtain interview approval from the Dean/Hiring Official.
- When scheduling interviews, change the statuses of the applicants to be interviewed to either "Phone Interview" or "Campus Interview."
- Conduct the interviews. Telephonic and on-campus interviews are expected. Skype is also acceptable.
- Helpful information on interviewing may be found at legal reminders.
- Forward the names of applicants who participate in each round of interview to EOD for record-keeping.
Step 5: HIRING PROCESS
- Complete reference checks on the final candidate(s) using telephone references form.
- Request official transcripts and three (3) official letters of reference if not already received.
- Complete the Faculty Documentation Checklist and submit to the Provost through your Dean who must approve the hire before an offer is made.
- Hiring department submits an OASys Hiring Proposal for approval prior to an offer being extended. Refer to the Faculty Hiring Proposal quick guide for assistance.
- Hiring Department makes the verbal offer and moves the Hiring Proposal to Offer Accepted/Declined and then transitions proposal to Initiate Background Check.
- Human Resources will initiate the background check using the candidates information provided in the Hiring Proposal. Departments can also contact Human Resources (Ashley Smith) via email with the candidates full name and email address.
- Mail the new employee the letter of offer to be signed and returned. See sample letters.
- Upon completion of the background check, HR will notify the hiring official and point of contact of its status.
- HR will collect the candidates New Hire Information including the following: Social Security Number, Date of Birth, and Citizenship Status.
- Once the Hiring Proposal is approved, HR will notify the hiring official to change all remaining applicant statuses to final dispositions and Fill the posting.
Step 6: CLOSE OF SEARCH
- If the option in step 5(J) above is not used, it is the hiring official's responsibility to notify all applicants of non-selection and that the position has been filled. Communications may be via e-mail with the status of "Not Hired-Send E-mail," create a personalized e-mail, or send a letter. See sample letters.
- The applicant address list contains the names and contact information of all the applicants, and may be accessed at any point.
- Forward the official search file (all documents pertaining to search) to HR for storage. Search file does NOT need to include information recorded in OASys.
Resources available on E.O.D. web page
Additional Recruiting/Advertising Sources
Do's and Don'ts of Lawful Interviewing
E.O.D. Legal Reminders
Sample Evaluation Form