Remote Proctor Now - Information for Students
Some distance learning classes use Remote Proctor Now for online proctored exams. Remote Proctor Now records the visual, audio, and desktop aspects of an exam environment. Be sure to carefully read over the exam process, technical requirements, exam policy, and support information before using Remote Proctor Now.
What to Expect with RPNow
- Students must confirm several pieces of information every time they take a test.
- Scan your testing area, including the table surface, floor around you, and surrounding area with web cam.
- Take a clear picture of yourself.
- Take a clear picture of your photo ID (Osprey One Card or Government Issued ID). Military ID is not an acceptable form of ID.
- Students are responsible for self-testing the functionality of the system well in advance of the exam, so that any troubleshooting can be accomplished ahead of time.
- Student will not be able to access the online exam until completion of a system check and identification check is complete: http://syscheck.remoteproctor.com/
Remote Proctor Now works with a webcam and microphone either built-in or attached to the computer. These devices identify the student and capture video and audio throughout the exam to upload to Software Secure servers. One video, recorded from the webcam, records the student and the surrounding room. A second video records the computer screen which includes all keyboard, mouse and navigation. Access to videos is restricted to authorized school personnel.
Note: External cameras on MAC’s aren’t supported.
Remote Proctor Now requires a minimum of Mac OS 10.13 or Windows 8.
The latest Remote Proctor Now system requirements (MAC & PC).
The online testing environment should mimic the ‘in class’ testing environment, and must conform to the following:
- A quiet, secure, fully lighted room for the examination.
- No other people in the room.
- Sit at a clean desk or clean table (not in a bed or sofa).
- No talking out loud or communicating with others by any means (with the exception of contact with the faculty member in an emergency).
- No leaving the room.
- No food or drink.
- Nothing except computer and external cameras on the desktop or tabletop - removal of all books, papers, notebooks, or other materials, unless specifically permitted in written guidelines for a particular examination.
Students are not allowed to use the following unless otherwise noted by instructor/exam giver:
- Calculator (online/computer or handheld devices)
- Textbooks (online/computer or hardcopy books)
- Notes (online/computer or hardcopy notes)
- Pen and Paper (for the purpose of taking notes during exam or calculations)
- Other websites
- External cameras, when possible, should be placed on the lid of the laptop or where it will have a constant, uninterrupted view of the test taker
- No writing visible on desk or on walls
- No music playing
- No other computers or other digital devices running in the exam room.
Remote Proctor Now has a student help desk to support their product and service. The help desk is open 24/7; call their help desk at 1-855-436-2039 or use the link below for live chat or to search their knowledge base. If you click the link below you will need to click the Live Support Online icon located on the left side of the screen to access chat support:
Link to SoftwareSecure student support.
How to Access/Use Remote Proctor Now
- Login in to Canvas, navigate to your course and click the Remote Proctor Now link in the Remote Proctor Now module.
*Access RPN through the link in your course for each test. Going to a previously saved RPN install file will not work.
- Select your test:
- Select your Organization
- Select your Exam Teacher/Sponsor
- Select your Exam
- Enter your contact information then click Next
- Follow the on-screen prompts to verify your identity.
- Complete your Test
- Login to Canvas (if needed) and navigate to your exam
- When you get to the page where you enter a password click the 'Insert Access Code' button (located at the very top of the screen)
- Complete the assigned test and Submit to confirm completion
- Exit Program
*Note: Although you have submitted and finalized the exam, the system will still continue recording until you exit from the program.
Watch a video on how to access Remote Proctor Now.
Additional Resources: RPNow Test Taker University