The University of North Florida LGBTQ Center envisions a university where all people are fully included and affirmed, and where justice, equality, and respect prevail.
The LGBTQ Center's mission is to provide valuable education and resources for the community with a commitment to advocacy, equality, respect, and support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning and allied students, faculty, staff, and the members of the Greater Jacksonville community.
Sign up to receive our update, two e-mails per month detailing events and opportunities of interest to the UNF LGBTQ community.
LGBTQ Center and Lavender Graduation
- UNF is one of six university-based LGBTQ centers/offices in the state of Florida with a full-time staffed LGBTQ Center (The others universities are UCF, University of Miami, FIU, USF, and UF).
- The UNF non-discrimination policy prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity/expression. We were one of the first colleges in the city of Jacksonville to include both sexual orientation and gender identity/expression.
- The LGBTQ Center was established in 2006, thanks in large part to student activism and a campus climate survey.
- In Fall of 2015, gender inclusive housing launched to provide a safe, inclusive, and supportive experience for all students.
- Gender-neutral restrooms are located in several buildings throughout campus including gender neutral locker rooms in the new Wellness Complex.
- UNF offers several academic courses that address gender and sexuality and has out LGBTQ and ally faculty and staff in departments throughout the university.
- In 2009, the LGBTQ Center moved to a new space in the Student Union.
Watch us in action
Check out these videos of our past and present staff members helping to spread Osprey Pride!
The LGBTQ Center offers a library of more than 500 books, DVDs and videos related to gender, sexual orientation and the LGBT community. The materials are available for checkout to UNF students, faculty and staff for up to two weeks for books and one week for DVDs and videos.
Browse the holdings of the Resource Library
If you are a student researching gender or sexuality for a course at UNF, please feel free to visit the LGBTQ Center and the staff will be happy to help you locate appropriate resources.
Donations of new and used books and DVDs relating to gender and sexual orientation are welcome. If you would like to donate resources, please contact the LGBTQ Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or (904) 620-4720.