Faculty and Staff Preparation Procedures
Severe storm procedures for staff, personnel, and facilities.
In the event that the University suspends normal operations in response to the threat of a hurricane or other rain/flood event, the following activities should be implemented prior to faculty and staff being released.
- Make sure any mission-critical information is stored on a UNF network drive or OneDrive. These are backed up.
- Unplug computers, printers and other electrical appliances.
- Check contents of refrigerators and set to coldest setting.
- Empty trash receptacles of items likely to rot.
- Take home all personal items of value.
- Close and lock all windows and doors.
- All occupants:
- Relocate contents from bottom drawers of desks and file cabinets to locations safe from water damage.
- Move all equipment, books, papers and valuables away from windows, off the floor, and to interior areas of the building. (Be sure that equipment and valuables that are moved outside your office are tagged for easy identification and retrieval).
- Cover and secure or encase and seal equipment and other valuables with plastic.
- Clear desktops, tables and exposed horizontal surfaces of materials subject to damage.
- Close and latch (or secure with tape) all filing cabinets.
- To the extent possible, turn bookcases, shelving units, etc. around to face walls.
- Place telephones in desk drawers. Leave telephones plugged in (you will be able to receive emergency messages)
- Ground floor occupants in buildings subject to flooding:
- If necessary, relocate equipment and valuables to a higher floor. (Be sure that equipment and valuables that are moved outside your office are tagged for easy identification and retrieval).
- If relocation to a higher floor is not feasible, cover and secure or encase and seal equipment and other valuables with plastic
- In lab areas:
- In lab areas subject to flooding, store sensitive apparatus and glassware.
- Attend to critical utility-dependent processes and make arrangements for back-up supply.
- Assure all hazardous and biohazards materials and wastes are properly protected.