Clinical Mental Health Couns (Master of Science)
Program Description for Clinical Mental Health Couns
Major: Clinical Mental Health Couns
Degree: Master of Science
Please note the following:
- Refer to the UNF graduate catalog for prerequisites to individual courses.
- Unless a course is identified as repeatable for credit, you may receive credit for a course only once. However, your GPA will reflect all repeated courses.
- Program Director approval is required prior to registering for course work at another institution.
- With Program Director approval, graduate level course work may be transferred from another regionally accredited institution.
- All students in the Brooks College of Health programs will be held accountable to the most recent Code of Ethics, Guides for Professional Conduct and/or Position Statements as developed by their respective disciplines. Refer to your program handbook.
- It is mandatory to follow the program course sequence. You must contact the program director for any changes in course sequence to be considered.
- To qualify for the Thesis option student must:
- have satisfactorily passed MHS6876 Clinical Research and Outcome Evaluation with a grade of B or better.
- have a GPA of 3.3 or higher in their first 2 semesters of the program, and
- identify and receive written approval from their Thesis Advisor, Second Reader, and Program Director.
Major Requirements (51 credits)
MHS6430 Intro to Family Counseling (3 Credits)
MHS6486 Human Dev Across Lifespan (3 Credits)
MHS6404 Theories in Clinical MHC (3 Credits)
MHS6700 Legal, Prof, Eth in Counseling (3 Credits)
MHS6941 Clinical Counseling Skills (3 Credits)
MHS6876 Clinical Research Evaluation (3 Credits)
MHS6405 Advanced Counseling (3 Credits)
MHS6428 Counseling Diverse Populations (3 Credits)
MHS6510 Group Counseling (3 Credits)
MHS6205 Clin. Assessment and Diagnosis (3 Credits)
MHS6305 Career Counseling (3 Credits)
MHS6800 Prac:Mental Health Counseling (3-6 Credits)
MHS6401 CMHC in Community Settings (3 Credits)
MHS6450 Addictions Counseling (3 Credits)
MHS6470 Sexual Issue in Counseling (3 Credits)
MHS6830 Intern in Mental Health Counse (3 Credits)
Electives or Thesis (9 credits)
ELECTIVES Select 3 courses
- MHS5403 Expressive Arts and Creativity in Counseling (3 credits)
- MHS6402 Overview of Brief Counseling (3 credits)
- MHS6431 Advanced Seminar in Family Counseling(3 credits)
- MHS6436 Counseling Military Families (3 credits)
- MHS6500 Advanced Practice in Group Counseling(3 credits)
- MHS6610 Clinical Supervision in Counseling (3 credits)
- MHS6916 Conceptual/Research Independent Study in CMHC (3 credits)
- MHS6930 ST: Special Topics in Counseling (3 credits)
- MHS6423 Psychotherapy with Children and Adolescents (3 credits)
- MHS6444 Animal Assisted Therapy in Counseling: Theory and Practice (3 credits)
- MHS6448 Grief and Loss in Counseling (3 credits)
- HSC6601 Animal Assisted Interventions and Therapies in Healthcare (3 credits)
THESIS take 9 credits
- MHS6970 Thesis A (3-6 credits)
- MHS6971 Thesis B (3-6 credits)
Even though each individual thesis course could be taken for 6 credits, the total credit hours for both courses cannot exceed 9 credits.