Degree: Bachelor of Arts
Grades of C or above are required in all prerequisite and major courses.
Note: Students may be placed into higher courses due to placement exam result or departmental recommendation.
SELECT FROM THE FOLLOWING:
- SPN 1120 Beginning Spanish I (4 credits) and
- SPN 1121 Beginning Spanish II (4 credits)
- SPN 1134 Accelerated Beginning Spanish (6 credits)
SPN2200 Intermediate Spanish I (3 Credits)
SPN2201 Intermediate Spanish II (3 Credits)
Major Requirements (15 credits)
A total of 30 credit hours, at or above the 3000 level, is required to earn a Spanish B.A. degree (15 credits of major requirements and 15 credits of major electives).
SPN3242 Spanish Conversation (3 Credits)
Prereq: SPN 2201
For non-heritage speakers of Spanish only. Heritage speakers (students who grew up speaking Spanish) may substitute another 3000 or 4000-level elective, and are encouraged to select SPN 3351 Communication and Communities for Heritage Speakers.
SPN3300 Spanish Composition (3 Credits)
Prereq: SPN 2201
Native and heritage speakers may substitute SPN 3350 Spanish for Heratage Speakers for SPN 3300 Spanish Composition.
SPW3030 Intro to Lit in Spanish (3 Credits)
Prereqs: SPN 3242 & SPN 3300
SELECT 1 FROM THE FOLLOWING:
- SPN 3501 Hispanic Cultures (3 credits) Separate surveys of Spanish, Spanish American, and U.S. Hispanic cultures are offered under this course heading, on an alternating schedule. (For example, SPN 3501 during one given semester per year will focus on a survey of Spanish American cultures; the next semester, SPN 3501 will focus on spain). Spain
- SPN 4541 Advanced Studies in Hispanic Cultures (3 credits) Topics under this course heading vary by semester.
SELECT 1 FROM THE FOLLOWING LIST
OF COURSES(each of which counts 3 credits):
- SPW 3100 Spanish Literature from the Middle Ages to the 18th Century
- SPW 3101 Spanish Literature from the 19th to the 21st Century
- SPW 3130 Spanish American Literature to Modernismo
- SPW 3131 Spanish American Literature from Modernismo to the Present
- SPW 4930 Advanced Studies in Hispanic Literatures (Topics under SPW 4930 course heading vary by semester.)
Major Electives (15 credits)
SELECT 5 COURSES AT 3000/4000 LEVEL
- Any SPN/SPW course at the 3000 or 4000 level not previously taken will count as an elective toward the Spanish major.
Students may count among their electives up to ONE of the following courses taught in English (each of which counts for 3 credits):
- LAS 3020 Peoples & Cultures of the Caribbean
- LAS 3031 Peoples & Cultures of the Southern Cone
- LAS 3930 Cultures of Latin America
- FOT 3500 Peoples & Cultures of Spain
Other courses in English may be counted only by permission of the chair of Languages, Literatures and Cultures
A minor is required for this major.* (Credits will vary)
The minor must be selected from the list of approved minors, including those outside the college of the major.
See List of Minors in the Undergraduate Catalog. Minors are generally completed during the last 60 credit hours of your program. Your minor may require prerequisites, so choosing a minor early is beneficial. See your Advisor to declare a minor.
*(Double majors are exempt from a minor.)
Free Electives (15 credits)
SELECT 15 HRS AT THE 3000/4000
This degree requires a minimum of 120 total hours with 48 upper (3000/4000) level hours. Free electives may be courses in any discipline (provided the required prerequisites are met) and they are the hours needed to satisfy the total hour requirement. These hours may vary (consult your advisor about free elective hours needed to graduate).