Degree: Bachelor of Arts
Prerequisites (6 credits)
Requires grades of C or higher.
SELECT 1 FROM THE FOLLOWING:
- AMH EUH WOH LAH AFH ASH HIS (3 credits)
SELECT 1 FROM THE FOLLOWING:
- AFH AMH EUH WOH LAH ASH HIS (3 Credits)
Major Requirements (18 credits)
Required grades of C or higher.
HIS3051 (GW)Craft Of The Historian (3 Credits)
offered in the fall & spring semesters HIS3051 is ONLY
U.S. AMH @ 3000/4000 LEVEL (3 cr.)
EUROPEAN EUH @ 3000/4000 LEVEL (3 cr)
at the 3000/4000 level (3 cr)
SEMINARS 2 - 4000 LEVEL HISTORY COURSES
HIS 3051 must be completed with at least a "C" before taking 4000 level courses.
Internships & independent study courses do not satisfy 4000 level requirement.
Important note: 4000 level seminar courses are offered only fall & spring semesters.
- AFH AMH EUH ASN ASH HIS LAH
Major Electives (12 credits)
Requires grades of C or higher
SELECT 4 FROM: (3000/4000)
- HIS AMH EUH ASH ASN LAH AFH
A minor is required for this major.* (Credits will vary)
The minor must be selected from the list of approved minors, including those outside the college of the major.
See List of Minors in the Undergraduate Catalog. Minors are generally completed during the last 60 credit hours of your program. Your minor may require prerequisites, so choosing a minor early is beneficial. See your Advisor to declare a minor.
*(Double majors are exempt from a minor.)
Foreign Language/Foreign Cultures
Foreign Language (8 CHs)/Foreign Culture Requirement (6 CHs): All BA students in the College of Arts and Sciences are required to complete either (i) the Foreign Language option or (ii) the Foreign Culture option, in either case with grades of C or higher.
TAKE 8 HRS OF FOREIGN LANGUAGE
- Select one two-course sequence of Spanish, French, Chinese, German, Latin, or American Sign Language.
- The first course in each of the two-course sequences is typically offered in the fall; the second course in each of the two-course sequences is typically offered in the spring.
- To determine whether to enroll in the first or the second course of the two-course French or Spanish sequences, incoming students with prior experience in French or Spanish must take a placement exam. Students who place above the beginning level will satisfy the Foreign Language option by earning a "C" or better in the second French or second Spanish course into which they have placed.
- Students who complete a 3000-level French or Spanish course with a "C" or above have demonstrated the mastery that is required in the two-course French or Spanish sequence and may request retroactive credit for the sequence. The retroactive credit will either be 3 or 6 credits, depending on their placement following the exam.
- This policy applies to Chinese as well, placement being determined by the professor of the program.
FC Foreign Culture Option
- Students who successfully completed 2 years of foreign language in high school have the option of taking 6 hours of foreign culture courses instead of 8 hours of college level foreign language.
- Foreign cultures contain (FC) in the course title.
- A complete list of foreign culture courses can be found in the Arts & Sciences Advising Office.
Free Electives (7 credits)
SELECT 7 HRS FREE ELECTIVES 3000/4000
This degree requires a minimum of 120 total hours with 48 upper (3000/4000) level hours. Free electives may be courses in any discipline (provided the required prerequisites are met) and they are the hours needed to satisfy the total hour requirement. These hours may vary (consult your advisor about free elective hours needed to graduate).