Computing & Info Sciences: Computer Science (Non-Thesis) (Master of Science)
Program Description for Computing & Info Sciences
Major: Computing & Info Sciences
Concentration: Computer Science (Non-Thesis)
Degree: Master of Science
The MS-CIS, Computer Science concentration (Non-Thesis), requires a total of 30 graduate credit hours, of which 24 credit hours must be earned through coursework. The student must enroll in the graduate Research Experience I & & II courses. During the Research Experience, the student is required to submit a manuscript to a journal or conference proceedings or submit a grant proposal to an external funding agency.
An undergraduate degree in the chosen area or equivalent, or completion of the following background subjects at the undergraduate level is required for entry into the graduate program.
- Procedural and Object-Oriented Programming
- Data Structures
- Applied Discrete Mathematics
- Computer Networks
Grades of "B" or above are expected in any undergraduate preparatory course work taken at UNF.
Conditions for the Masters:
1. A GPA of 3.0 or better must be maintained. A GPA below 3.0, receiving a grade below 'C+' in two courses, or receipt of 'D' or 'F' in one course will result in suspension from the program.
2. No more than 6 credit hours taken outside of the School can be included in the degree.
3. No more than 6 credit hours of 5000-level courses can be applied to the degree.
4. Students must declare thesis/non-thesis option before completion 15 credit hours in the program.
5. Special Topics in Computing (CIS6930) may be approved by the Graduate Director to substitute any of the program courses.
Core Requirements (9 credits)
CIS6913 Research Methods in Computing (3 Credits)
CEN6074 Information Assurance (3)
CEN6940 Computing Practicum (3 Credits)
Concentration Requirements (9 credits)
COT6400 Design & Analysis of Algor (3)
CAP6630 Adv Artificial Intel (3)
SELECT ONE of the following
- COP6616 Parallel Computing (3)
- COP6611 Advanced Operating Systems (3)
Breadth Requirement (6 credits)
SELECT TWO of the following:
- CEN6086 Cloud Computing (3)
- CAP6610 Machine Learning (3)
- CNT6008 Advanced Computer Networks (3)
- CNT6105 Software Defined Networking (3)
- CNT6707 Network Arch Client/Server Computing (3)
- CIS6930 Special Topics in Computing (3)
Research Core Requirements (6 credits)
Enroll in CIS6917 Research Experiences I and CIS 6918 Research Experiences II with a faculty member for three credits each in two semesters. During the Research Experience, the student will collaborate with a Computing faculty member on a research project. Before the end of the second of the two semesters, the student is required to submit a manuscript to a journal or conference proceedings or submit a grant proposal to an external funding agency to fulfill the Research Experience requirement.
CIS6917 Research Experiences I (3 Credits)
CIS6918 Research Experiences II (3)