Program Description for Statistics
Degree: Bachelor of Arts
Prerequisites (26 credits)
All transfer courses require prior approval of department chairperson. A grade of C or better is required in all statistics prerequisites.
MAC2311 (GM) Calculus I (4 Credits)
Prereq: MAC 1147
MAC2312 (GM) Calculus II (4 Credits)
Prereq: MAC 2311
MAC2313 (GM) Calculus III (4 Credits)
SELECT 1 STATISTICS COURSE
SCIENTIFIC COMPUTER PROGRAMMING COURSE
Department recommends a computer programming language course in PASCAL, FORTRAN, C, C+, C++
SELECT 2 LAB SCIENCE COURSES
Must be designed for science majors
Major Requirements (19 credits)
Grades of C or higher required in all major courses.
MAS3105 (GM) Linear Algebra (4 Credits)
Prereq: MAC 2312
STA3163 (GM)Statistical Methods I (4 Credits)
Prereq: STA 2014 or STA 2023 or STA 4321
STA3164 (GM)Statistical Methods II (3 Credits)
Prereq: STA 3163
STA4321 (GM)Probability and Statistics (4 Credits)
Prereq: MAC 2312
STA4322 (GM) Statistical Theory (4 Credits)
Prereq: MAC 2313 & STA 4321
Major Electives (12 credits)
Grades of C or higher required in all major electives.
SELECT 4 COURSES FROM THE FOLLOWING
- MAP 4231 Operations Research
- STA 4504 Categorical Data
- MAA 4211 Advanced Calculus I
- MAA 4212 Advanced Calculus II
- MAP 3170 Financial Mathmatics for Actuarial Science
- MHF 3202 Foundations of Math
- STA 4202 Design of Experiments
- STA 4222 Design/Sample/Survey
- STA 4664 Statistical Quality Control
- STA 4445 Probability Models
- STA 4502 Non-Parametric Methods in Statistics
- STA 4672 Prob. Models w/ App to Actuarial Science
- STA 4853 Stat Techniques for Time Series & Forecasts
- STA 4906 Directed Individual Study
Capstone Experience (3 credits)
Graduation requirement: students must maintain a portfolio according to department guidelines and submit it to their capstone professor.
STA4945 Statistics Capstone (3 Credits)
Prereq: Senior Standing and permission of the department.
A minor is required for this major.*
The minor must be selected from the list of approved minors, including those outside the college of the major.
See List of Minors in the Undergraduate Catalog.
Minors are generally completed during the last 60 hrs of you program. Your minor may require prerequisites, so choosing a minor early is beneficial. See your advisor to declare a minor.
*(Double majors are exempt from the minor requirement).
Foreign Language/Foreign Cultures
All BA students in the College of Arts and Sciences are required to complete the foreign language or foreign culture requirement with grades of C or higher.
TAKE 8 HRS OF FOREIGN LANGUAGE
- Select one sequence of Spanish, French, Chinese, German, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, or American Sign Language.
- Part 1 of languages are typically offered in the fall and part 2 in the spring.
- Incoming Students with prior experience in French or Spanish must take a placement exam. Students who place above the beginning level will satisfy this requirement by earning a "C" or better in a French or Spanish at the level at which they placed.
- Students who choose this option may also be eligible for a minimum of 3 credits and a maximum of 6 credits of retroactive credit if they complete with a "C" or above in a 3000 level French or Spanish course.
- This policy applies to Chinese as well, although in this case placement will be determined by the professor of the program.
FC Foreign Culture Option
- Students who successfully completed 2 years of foreign language in high school have the option of taking 6 hours of foreign culture courses instead of 8 hours of college level foreign language.
- Foreign cultures contain (FC) in the course title.
- A complete list of foreign culture courses can be found in the Arts & Sciences Advising Office.
Free Electives (3 credits)
ELECTIVES 3 HOUR (3000/4000 LEVEL)
This degree requires a minimum of 120 total hours with 48 upper (3000/4000) level hours. Free electives may be courses in any discipline (provided the required prerequisites are met) and they are the hours needed to satisfy the total hour requirement. These hours may vary (consult your advisor about free elective hours needed to graduate).