Program Description for History
Degree: Bachelor of Arts
Prerequisites (6 credits)
Requires grades of C or higher.
SELECT 1 FROM THE FOLLOWING:
SELECT 1 FROM THE FOLLOWING:
Major Requirements (18 credits)
Required grades of C or higher.
HIS3051 (GW)Craft Of The Historian (3 Credits)
Only offered in the fall & spring semesters
U.S. AMH @ 3000/4000 LEVEL
EUROPEAN EUH @ 3000/4000 LEVEL
GLOBAL AFH/ASH/ASN @ 3000/4000 LEVEL
1 non western or global history from Asia, Africa, or Middle East @ 3000 level
SEMINARS 2 - 4000 LEVEL HISTORY COURSES
HIS 3051 must be completed with at least a "C" before taking 4000 level courses.
Internships & independent study courses do not satisfy 4000 level requirement.
Important note: 4000 level seminar courses are offered only fall & spring semesters.
- AFH AMH EUH ASN ASH HIS LAH
Major Electives (12 credits)
Requires grades of C or higher
SELECT 4 FROM: (3000/4000)
- HIS AMH EUH ASH ASN LAH AFH
A minor is required for this major.*
The minor must be selected from the list of approved minors, including those outside the college of the major.
See List of Minors in the Undergraduate Catalog. Minors are generally completed during the last 60 hrs of your program. Your minor may require prerequisites, so choosing a minor early is beneficial. See your advisor to declare a minor.
*(Double majors are exempt from a minor.)
Foreign Language/Foreign Cultures
All BA students in the College of Arts and Sciences are required to complete the foreign language or foreign culture requirement with grades of C or higher.
TAKE 8 HRS OF FOREIGN LANGUAGE
- Select one sequence of Spanish, French, Chinese, German, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, or American Sign Language.
- Part 1 of languages are typically offered in the fall and part 2 in the spring.
- Incoming Students with prior experience in French or Spanish must take a placement exam. Students who place above the beginning level will satisfy this requirement by earning a "C" or better in a French or Spanish at the level at which they placed.
- Students who choose this option may also be eligible for a minimum of 3 credits and a maximum of 6 credits of retroactive credit if they complete with a "C" or above in a 3000 level French or Spanish course.
- This policy applies to Chinese as well, although in this case placement will be determined by the professor of the program.
FC Foreign Culture Option
- Students who successfully completed 2 years of foreign language in high school have the option of taking 6 hours of foreign culture courses instead of 8 hours of college level foreign language.
- Foreign cultures contain (FC) in the course title.
- A complete list of foreign culture courses can be found in the Arts & Sciences Advising Office.
Free Electives (7 credits)
SELECT 7 HRS FREE ELECTIVES 3000/4000
This degree requires a minimum of 120 total hours with 48 upper (3000/4000) level hours. Free electives may be courses in any discipline (provided the required prerequisites are met) and they are the hours needed to satisfy the total hour requirement. These hours may vary (consult your advisor about free elective hours needed to graduate).