Program Description for Art
Degree: Bachelor of Arts
Prerequisites (24 credits)
Requires grades of C or above.
Note: Students should continually take art history courses with other art courses to properly prepare for the major.
ARH2050 Art History Survey I (3 Credits)
ARH2051 Art History Survey II (3 Credits)
ART1201C Two-Dimensional Design (3 Credits)
ART2203C Three-Dimensional Design (3 Credits)
Acceptable substitute: ART X202
ART1300C Drawing I (3 Credits)
ART2301C Drawing II (3 Credits)
Acceptable substitutes: ARTX330, X205, X310, X305
SELECT 2 INTRO MEDIA COURSES
Major Requirements (21 credits)
Prerequisite policy: courses must be taken in prerequisite order. Electronic approval must be obtained for courses requiring prerequisites each semester. Please check the catalog course description section for prerequisites required for each course prior to registering. If a course is a prerequisite to another, the courses may not be taken at the same time. Prerequisites are strictly enforced by the faculty and registrar.
First day attendance rule: any students who misses the first day without advanced notice to the department chair will be administratively withdrawn from the course.
Grades of C or above required for all major courses.
ARH4800 Aesthetics of Art (3 Credits)
ART2300C Figure Drawing
ART3707C Sculpture I (3 Credits)
ART3786C Ceramics (3 Credits)
ART4965C Fine Arts Portfolio (3 Credits)
SELECT 2 ART HIST COURSES (3000/4000)
Major Electives (9 credits)
Please refer to the course description for repeatability information.
SELECT 2 COURSES FROM THE FOLLOWING:
- ART 3709C Sculpture II
- ART 4710C Sculpture III
SELECT 1 ART ELECTIVE (3000/4000)
Note: Students may not take any independent study courses in any fine arts area without the prior, written approval of the department chairperson.
A minor is required for this major.*
The minor must be selected from the list of approved minors, including those outside the college of the major.
See List of Minors in the Undergraduate Catalog. Minors are generally completed during the last 60 hrs of your program. Your minor may require prerequisites, so choosing a minor early is beneficial. See your advisor to declare a minor.
*(Double majors are exempt from a minor.)
Foreign Language/Foreign Cultures
All BA students in the College of Arts and Sciences are required to complete the foreign language or foreign culture requirement with grades of C or higher.
TAKE 8 HRS OF FOREIGN LANGUAGE
- Select one sequence of Spanish, French, Chinese, German, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, or American Sign Language.
- Part 1 of languages are typically offered in the fall and part 2 in the spring.
- Incoming Students with prior experience in French or Spanish must take a placement exam. Students who place above the beginning level will satisfy this requirement by earning a "C" or better in a French or Spanish at the level at which they placed.
- Students who choose this option may also be eligible for a minimum of 3 credits and a maximum of 6 credits of retroactive credit if they complete with a "C" or above in a 3000 level French or Spanish course.
- This policy applies to Chinese as well, although in this case placement will be determined by the professor of the program.
FC Foreign Culture Option
- Students who successfully completed 2 years of foreign language in high school have the option of taking 6 hours of foreign culture courses instead of 8 hours of college level foreign language.
- Foreign cultures contain (FC) in the course title.
- A complete list of foreign culture courses can be found in the Arts & Sciences Advising Office.
Free Electives (7 credits)
SELECT 7 HRS FREE ELECTIVES 3000/4000
This degree requires a minimum of 120 total hours with 48 upper (3000/4000) level hours. Free electives may be courses in any discipline (provided the required prerequisites are met) and they are the hours needed to satisfy the total hour requirement. These hours may vary (consult your advisor about free elective hours needed to graduate).