Program Description for Computing & Info Sciences
Major: Computing & Info Sciences
Concentration: Information Technology
Degree: Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Science in Computing & Information Sciences: (120 credit hours, including a min 54 upper level hrs)
- All course work must be completed with a grade of 'C' or better, unless otherwise noted.
- Once enrolled at UNF, any remaining prerequisites for the major / minor must be completed at UNF.
- *** CIS Satisfactory Progress Policy ***
Students who do not successfully complete a CIS prerequisite or core requirement on the first attempt, including W, WP, or WF, will have one chance to repeat the course. Unsuccessful completion after two attempts will block registration for future computing courses.
- Exit Requirements:
1. Proficiency in a high-level programming language.
2. Spoken Presentation: To apply oral communications skills in the program, you will deliver up to two presentations in computing courses. If the first presentation is satisfactory, a second presentation will be waived.
Information Technology Prerequisites: (5 courses - 15.0 semester hours)
All course work must be completed with a grade of C or better.
MAC2233 (GM)Calculus for Business (3 Credits)
CGS1570 Microcomputer Applica Software (3 Credits)
STA2023 (GM) Elem Statistics-Business (3 Credits)
SPEECH Select any public speaking*SPC
COP2551 Introduction to OO Programming (3 Credits)
JAVA or an equivalent object-oriented programming course is required. Java will be used in subsequent courses. A second language is recommended.
Core Requirements (26 credits)
Information Technology Core Requirements: (8 courses - 26.0 semester hours)
COT3100 Computational Structures (3 Credits)
COP3538 Data Structures Using OOP (4 Credits)
(renumbered from COP3540 in Fall 2011)
CGS4307 Info Proc: Organizational Pers (3 Credits)
CGS4308 Info Proc: Req Identi Spec (3 Credits)
CDA3101 Introduction Computer Hardware (4 Credits)
CDA4503 Computer Networks/Dist Process (3 Credits)
CIS4253 Legal & Ethical Iss in Comput (3 Credits)
CIS4360 Gen Cmp Security Adm (3 Credits)
Information Technology Major Requirements: Select one concentration (12.0-15.0 hours)
C 1. Computer Networking
*Concentration in Computer Networking: (12 hrs)
- COP 4813 Internet Programming
- CNT 4704 (CDA 4527) Network Design/Planning
- CNT 4406 (CIS 4363) Network Security/Management
- CIS 4100 Systems Performance & Evaluation
(replaces CIS 4103 Web Performance)
C 2. Gaming and Mobile Applications
*Concentration in Gaming and Mobile Applications: (14 hrs)
- CNT 4514C (CEN 4533C) Wireless/Mobile Computing (4)
- CEN 4535C Development of Gaming/Mobile Applications (4)
- CIS 4593 Gaming and Mobile Apps Capstone I
- CIS 4594 Gaming and Mobile Apps Capstone II
C 3. Computer Security Admin
*Concentration in Computer Security Administration: (15 hrs)
- CIS 4365 Security & Disaster Preparedness
- CIS 4615 Evaluating Software for Security
- CNT 4406 Network Security and Management
- CIS 4364 IS Intrusion Detection
- CIS 4366 Computer Forensics
Technical Electives (12 credits)
Information Technology Technical Electives: (minimum of 12.0 hours - 4 courses)
SELECT 12hrs upper technology courses
Select a minimum of 12 hrs of upper level courses from the following subject areas:
CAP, CDA, CEN, CIS, CNT, COP, COT
[**NOTE: 3000-level programming courses are excluded**]
-- Other qualifying elective courses may be offered as special topics. See School of Computing for list of approved courses.
-- Directed Independent Study courses may not be used to satisfy major or minor electives without prior permission from SoC Director. (****)
Exit Requirement: Computer & Information Sciences Oral Communication (Spoken Presentation)
To apply oral communications skills in the program, all CIS majors will deliver up to two presentations in computing courses for evaluation of presentation skills. If the first presentation is satisfactory, a second evaluated presentation will be waived.
ITech Free Electives - Upper ( 1.0 - 4.0 credits, depending on IT concentration selected.)
Select additional courses as necessary to attain 54 upper level (3000-4000) hours.
The Info Technology major requirements provide at least 50 upper hours. Free electives (or a minor) provide the remaining hours.
(This total may be adjusted by advisor depending on hours used in other areas.)
UPPER-LVL FREE ELECTIVES (3000-4000)
Electives (21 credits)
Select additional courses as necessary to attain 120 hours.
(66 hrs beyond the 54 upper are required. These are usually: gen ed (36) + IT prereqs (12) + free electives (21) *. [*assumes calc & stats are used in gen ed.] This total may be adjusted by advisor depending on hours used in other areas.)
ANY-LEVEL FREE ELECTIVES (1000-4000)