Program Description for Computing & Info Sciences
Major: Computing & Info Sciences
Concentration: Information Science
Degree: Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Science in Computing & Information Sciences: (120 credit hours, including a min 54 upper level hrs)
- All course work must be completed with a grade of 'C' or better, unless otherwise noted.
- Once enrolled at UNF, any remaining prerequisites for the major / minor must be completed at UNF.
- *** CIS Satisfactory Progress Policy ***
Students who do not successfully complete a CIS prerequisite or core requirement on the first attempt, including W, WP, or WF, will have one chance to repeat the course. Unsuccessful completion after two attempts will block registration for future computing courses.
- Exit Requirements:
1. Proficiency in a high-level programming language.
2. Spoken Presentation: To apply oral communications skills in the program, you will deliver up to two presentations in computing courses. If the first presentation is satisfactory, a second presentation will be waived.
Information Science Prerequisites: (4 courses - 12.0 semester hours)
All course work must be completed with a grade of C or better.
MAC2233 (GM)Calculus for Business (3 Credits)
(MAC2311 may be used.)
CGS1570 Microcomputer Applica Software (3 Credits)
STA2023 (GM) Elem Statistics-Business (3 Credits)
(STA2014 may be used.)
COP2551 Introduction to OO Programming (3 Credits)
Java, an object oriented language, is preferred and will be used in subsequent courses.
Information Science Foundation: (4 courses - 13.0 semester hours)
SPEECH Select any public speaking*SPC
COP2010 Intro to Visual Proc Prog (3 Credits)
COP 2010 or a procedural programming language is required. Visual BASIC is preferred and will be used in subsequent courses.
COT3100 Computational Structures (3 Credits)
COP3855 Web Access and System Design (4 Credits)
Information Science Core Requirements: (3 courses - 10.0 semester hours)
COP3538 Data Structures Using OOP (4 Credits)
(renumbered from COP3540 in Fall 2011)
COP4640 OS Env Admin (3 Credits)
CIS4253 Legal & Ethical Iss in Comput (3 Credits)
Major Requirements (12 credits)
Information Science/Systems Major Requirements: (4 courses - 12.0 semester hours)
COP4720 Database Systems (3 Credits)
CIS4327 Information Syst Sr Project I (3 Credits)
CIS4328 Information Syst Sr Project II (3 Credits)
CDA4503 Computer Networks/Dist Process (3 Credits)
Major Electives (12 credits)
Information Science Major Electives: (4 courses - 12.0 semester hours)
SELECT Four Courses - min 12.0 hours*
Select 4 Courses for a minimum of 12.0 hours:
- CAP 4730 Graphic Systems/Applications
- CAP 4020 Multimedia Systems
- CAP 4770 Data Mining
- CAP 4772 Data Warehousing
- CDA 3101 Intro Computer Hardware
- CDA 4503 (CNT4504) Comp Networks/Distributed Processing
- CDA 4011 (4010) Office Automation/Human Factors
- CEN 4516 Networks/Distributed Processing
- CEN 4801 Systems Integration
- CIS 4100 System Performance/Evaluation
- CIS 4362 Computer Cryptography
- CIS 4510 Expert Systems/Decision Support
- COP 3543 Enterprise Computing
- COP 4640 Operating Systems Environments
- COP 4722 Database Systems II
- COP 4813 Internet Programming
- COP 4723 Database Administration
- COT 4560 Applied Graph Theory
-- Other qualifying elective courses may be offered as Special Topics. See School of Computing for list of approved courses.
-- Directed Independent Study courses may not be used to satisfy major or minor electives without prior permission from SoC Director.
Exit Requirement: Computer & Information Sciences Oral Communication (Spoken Presentation)
To apply oral communications skills in the program, all CIS majors will deliver up to two presentations in computing courses for evaluation of presentation skills. If the first presentation is satisfactory, a second evaluated presentation will be waived.
A minor is required for this major.*
The minor must be selected from the list of approved minors, including those outside the college of the major.
See List of Minors in the Undergraduate Catalog. Minors are generally completed during the last 60 hrs of your program. Your minor may require prerequisites, so choosing a minor early is beneficial. See your advisor to declare a minor.
*(Double majors are exempt from a minor.)
Select additional courses as necessary to attain 54 upper level (3000-4000) hours.
*Note: This area is MET by default, initially. Should more upper hours be required, it will be adjusted.*
The Info Science major requirements provide 41 upper hours, plus those provided by the minor.
The Info Systems major provides 56 upper hours.
*(This total will be adjusted by advisor depending on hours used in other areas.)
UPPER-LVL FREE ELECTIVES (3000-4000)
Select, as necessary, additional courses at any level (1000-4000) to attain 120 hours.
(The usual amount is 3.0 hrs at any level. This total may be adjusted by advisor depending on hours used in other areas.)
ANY-LEVEL FREE ELECTIVES (1000-4000)