Major: Computing & Info Sciences
Concentration: Computer Science
Degree: Master of Science
Major Requirements (36 credits)
Computer Science Requirements: (36.0 credit hours)
Conditions for the Masters:
- 1. All courses applied to the degree must be completed with a grade of 'B' or better.
- 2. A minimum of 21 credit hours must be taken at the 6000-level in the School of Computing.
- 3. No more than 6 credit hours taken outside of the School can be included in the degree.
- 4. No more than 15 credit hours of 5000-level courses can be applied to the degree.
- 5. No more than 6 credit hours of Directed Independent Study can be applied to the degree.
- 6. GPA of 3.0 or better must be maintained. A GPA below 3.0 or a grade of 'C' in three courses results in automatic probation.
- 7. A student on probation who subsequently receives a 'C' is subject to suspension. Receipt of a grade below 'C' results in immediate eligibility for suspension.
Comp Sci - Depth
Depth Requirement: (4 courses - 12.0 hrs)
Select one course from each group of two shown.
CAP6100 Interface Design and Implementation
CAP6400 Graphics Image Recognition/Manipulation
CDA6506 Network Architecture & Client/Server Computing
CIS6302 Distributed and Internet Systems
COP6611 Advanced Operating Systems
COP6616 Parallel Computing
COP6735 Developments in Database Structures
COP6557 Programming Language Design Paradigms
Comp Sci - Breadth&Major Reqs
Major Requirements: (4 courses - 12.0 hrs)
Breadth + Major requirements must equal a total of 12 semester hours.
* Any hours short of 12 in the Breadth category must be selected from the Major Req list below.
* Courses may not count for both the Depth and Major requirements.
BREADTH Requirement: (optional)
The following courses must be taken if the equivalent was not covered in undergraduate studies.
- CDA5505 Networks & Distributed Systems
- COP5615 Operating Systems
- COP5716 Data Modeling & Performance
- COT5405 Algorithms & Complexity
Any hours short of 12 in the Breadth category must be selected from the list below. Courses may not count for both the Depth and Major requirements.
- CAP6100 Interface Design & Implementation
- CAP6400 Graphics Image Recognition/Manipulation
- CAP6671 Intelligent Systems
- CDA6011/CEN6036 Web Engineering
- CDA6506 Network Arch Client/Server Computing
- CIS6302 Distributed and Internet Systems
- COP6557 Programming Language Design Paradigms
- COP6611 Advanced Operating Systems
- COP6616 Parallel Computing
- COP6735 Developments in Database Structures
CS & SE - Research + Electives
Thesis and Major Electives: (12.0 hrs)
Enroll in the Thesis course CIS 6970 for at least two successive terms. In order to enroll in the Thesis course, the student must obtain the approval of the Graduate Director and a Thesis Advisor. Upon satisfactory completion of the Thesis, the student defends the Thesis in an open presentation to the satisfaction of the student's Thesis Committee.
RESEARCH Thesis --
CIS 6970 Thesis (6.0 hrs)
ELECTIVES (6 hrs for total 12 hrs)
Select sufficient credits at the graduate level to earn a total of 36.0 hours.
CAP CDA CEN CIS CNT COP COT
- Select at least 6 credits of electives.