Major: Political Science
Concentration: Public Admin/Public Policy
Degree: Bachelor of Arts
Prerequisites (6 credits)
Requires grades of C or above.
POS2041 Intro to American Government (3 Credits)
SELECT 1 INTRO POLI SCIENCE COURSE
Any 2 introductory political science courses with POS, CPO, or INR prefixes can be used
Core Requirements (18 credits)
Requires grades of C or above.
POS3733 Research Design for Poli Sci (3 Credits)
POS3734 Research Analysis for Poli Sci (3 Credits)
POT3003 Political Thought and Action (3 Credits)
PAD4003 Public Administration (3 Credits)
SELECT 1 COURSE (3000/4000 LEVEL)
- POS 3413 American Presidency
- POS 3424 Congress & the Legislative Process
- POS 3606 U.S. Supreme Court
- CPO 4014 Comparative Politics: Frameworks for Analysis
- INR 4603 International Relations:Frameworks for Analysis
- INR 4703 International Political Economy
POS4930 Senior Seminar: Political Sci (3 Credits)
Prereqs: ALL 5 courses listed in the Core Requirement must be completed with a "C" or better grade and senior status
Major Electives (12 credits)
SELECT 4 COURSES FROM BELOW:
- INR 3084 Terrorism Today
- PAD 4027 Issues in Public Management
- PAD 4832 Issues in Comparative Public Administration
- POS 3114 Issues in State & Local Government
- POS 3142 Politics & Policy in Urban Government
- POS 3931 ST: Politics
- POS 4167 Urban Policy & Planning
- POS 4905 Directed Individual Study
- POS 4932 ST: Politics & Public Administration
- POS 4093 Politics of the War on Drugs
- POS 4945 Internship/Field Experience
- PUP 3053 American Political Economy
- PUP 4003 Policy Making Process
- PUP 4506 Evolution, Society, & Politics
- PUP 4612 Politics of Social Programs
A minor is required for this major.*
The minor must be selected from the list of approved minors, including those outside the college of the major.
See List of Minors in the Undergraduate Catalog. Minors are generally completed during the last 60 hrs of your program. Your minor may require prerequisites, so choosing a minor early is beneficial. See your advisor to declare a minor.
*(Double majors are exempt from a minor.)
Foreign Language/Foreign Cultures
All BA students in the College of Arts and Sciences are required to complete the foreign language or foreign culture requirement with grades of C or higher.
TAKE 8 HRS OF FOREIGN LANGUAGE
- Select one sequence of Spanish, French, Chinese, German, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, or American Sign Language.
- Part 1 of languages are typically offered in the fall and part 2 in the spring.
- Incoming Students with prior experience in French or Spanish must take a placement exam. Students who place above the beginning level will satisfy this requirement by earning a "C" or better in a French or Spanish at the level at which they placed.
- Students who choose this option may also be eligible for a minimum of 3 credits and a maximum of 6 credits of retroactive credit if they complete with a "C" or above in a 3000 level French or Spanish course.
- This policy applies to Chinese as well, although in this case placement will be determined by the professor of the program.
FC Foreign Culture Option
- Students who successfully completed 2 years of foreign language in high school have the option of taking 6 hours of foreign culture courses instead of 8 hours of college level foreign language.
- Foreign cultures contain (FC) in the course title.
- A complete list of foreign culture courses can be found in the Arts & Sciences Advising Office.
Free Electives (7 credits)
SELECT 7 HRS FREE ELECTIVES 3000/4000
This degree requires a minimum of 120 total hours with 48 upper (3000/4000) level hours. Free electives may be courses in any discipline (provided the required prerequisites are met) and they are the hours needed to satisfy the total hour requirement. These hours may vary (consult your advisor about free elective hours needed to graduate).