Degree: Bachelor of Arts
Prerequisites (22 credits)
Requires grades of C or above.
MAC2311 (GM) Calculus I (4 Credits)
MAC2312 (GM) Calculus II (4 Credits)
MAC2313 (GM) Calculus III (4 Credits)
MAP2302 (GM) Ordinary Differ Equations (3 Credits)
SCIENTIFIC COMPUTER PROGRAMMING COURSE
Department recommends a computer programming language course in PASCAL, FORTRAN, C, C+, C++
1 laboratory-based science course designed for science majors.
Major Requirements (18 credits)
Grades of C or above required in all major courses.
Note: All transfer courses require prior approval of department chairperson.
The math department recommends MAA 4211, MAA 4212 and MAS 4301 be taken in the senior year.
MHF3202 (GM)Foundations of Mathematics (3 Credits)
Prereq: MAC 2312
MAS3105 (GM) Linear Algebra (4 Credits)
Prereq: MAC 2312
MAS4301 (GM) Abstract Algebra I (4 Credits)
Prereqs: MAS 3105 & MHF 3202
MAA4211 (GM) Advanced Calculus I (4 Credits)
Prereqs: MAC 2313, MAS 3105, & MHF 3202
MAA4212 (GM) Advanced Calculus II (3 Credits)
Prereq: MAA 4211
Contextual Courses (4 credits)
STA4321 (GM)Probability and Statistics (4 Credits)
Prereq: MAC 2312
Major Electives (9 credits)
Check catalog course descriptions for course prerequisites.
SELECT 3 FROM THE FOLLOWING:
- MAA 4402 Complex Analysis
- MAD 3107 Discrete Mathematics
- MAD 4203 Combinatorics
- MAD 4301 Graph Theory
- MAD 4401 Numerical Analysis
- MAD 4505 Discrete Biomathematics
- MAP 3170 Financial Mathmatics for Actuarial Science
- MAP 4231 Operations Research
- MAP 4341 Elementary Partial Differential Equations
- MAS 3203 Number Theory
- MAS 4156 Vector Analysis
- MAS 4302 Abstract Algebra II
- MHF 3404 History of Mathematics
- MTG 3212 Modern Geometry
- MTG 4302 Elementary Topology
- STA 4322 Statistical Theory
- STA 4445 Probability Models
- STA 4672 Prob. Models w/ App to Actuarial Science
Capstone Experience (3 credits)
MAS4932 Capstone Experience in Math (3 Credits)
Prereq: Senior standing & permission of department
A minor is required for this major.*
The minor must be selected from the list of approved minors, including those outside the college of the major.
See List of Minors in the Undergraduate Catalog.
Minors are generally completed during the last 60 hrs of you program. Your minor may require prerequisites, so choosing a minor early is beneficial. See your advisor to declare a minor.
*(Double majors are exempt from the minor requirement).
Foreign Language/Foreign Cultures
All BA students in the College of Arts and Sciences are required to complete the foreign language or foreign culture requirement with grades of C or higher.
TAKE 8 HRS OF FOREIGN LANGUAGE
- Select one sequence of Spanish, French, Chinese, German, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, or American Sign Language.
- Part 1 of languages are typically offered in the fall and part 2 in the spring.
- Incoming Students with prior experience in French or Spanish must take a placement exam. Students who place above the beginning level will satisfy this requirement by earning a "C" or better in a French or Spanish at the level at which they placed.
- Students who choose this option may also be eligible for a minimum of 3 credits and a maximum of 6 credits of retroactive credit if they complete with a "C" or above in a 3000 level French or Spanish course.
- This policy applies to Chinese as well, although in this case placement will be determined by the professor of the program.
FC Foreign Culture Option
- Students who successfully completed 2 years of foreign language in high school have the option of taking 6 hours of foreign culture courses instead of 8 hours of college level foreign language.
- Foreign cultures contain (FC) in the course title.
- A complete list of foreign culture courses can be found in the Arts & Sciences Advising Office.
Free Electives (3 credits)
SELECT 3 HR FREE ELECTIVES 3000/4000
This degree requires a minimum of 120 total hours with 48 upper (3000/4000) level hours. Free electives may be courses in any discipline (provided the required prerequisites are met) and they are the hours needed to satisfy the total hour requirement. These hours may vary (consult your advisor about free elective hours needed to graduate).