V-Day UNF is a volunteer collaboration between students, faculty, staff and community partners, sponsored by the UNF Women’s Center. V-Day UNF presents benefit performances of "The Vagina Monologues" as well as various educational and awareness-raising events throughout spring semester.
What is V-Day?
V-Day is a global movement to stop violence against women and girls, founded by playwright Eve Ensler. Through V-Day campaigns, local volunteers and college students produce annual benefit performances to raise awareness and funds for anti-violence groups within their own communities. Proceeds from the performances and other V-Day UNF fundraising activities are donated to organizations that work to end violence against women, including the UNF Women’s Center.
Why do you charge admission to “The Vagina Monologues?”
V-Day is a movement to stop violence against women and girls. Raising awareness is a vital part of that goal, but so is providing resources to the organizations that work full-time on violence against women issues. Charging admission to the show prevents the awareness component of the V-Day campaign from becoming a drain on any agency’s financial resources (because renting a theater and printing flyers and playbills requires money!) It also allows the campaign to give something to the chronically understaffed and underfunded programs that help women who have experienced violence, and work to prevent other women from experiencing the same thing.
Do you have to use that word?
We can think of lots of other words to use (see the show for plenty of examples.) But that’s what the doctor calls it. That’s what anatomy textbooks call it. So that’s what the show is called. If it makes people uncomfortable, well, that’s unfortunate, but it’s also the whole point. Women’s bodies aren’t dirty. The word “vagina” isn’t dirty. Saying it out loud, in public, isn’t dirty. It’s empowering. So, yes, we do have to use that word.
Where does the money go?
Ten percent of net proceeds from ticket sales and other fundraising activities are donated to V-Day to support the Spotlight Campaign. The remaining 90 percent are given to local programs that work to end violence against women and girls. In order to give these programs as much support as possible, production costs are kept to a minimum.
What is the Spotlight Campaign?
Each year, the worldwide V-Day organization chooses an issue to “Spotlight” with a special monologue and educational information. The 10 percent of net proceeds that local campaigns send to V-Day go to support efforts related to the spotlight issue.
Following is a recap of the V-Day UNF Spotlights to date: Click on the title to learn more about each Spotlight because we all know that knowledge is power!
2012 & 2013: One Billion Rising
2011 & 2012 : Women and Girls of Haiti
2009 & 2010: The Women and Girls of the Democratic Republic of Congo
For more information about the Global V-Day Movement go to www.vday.org.
How Can I Get Involved?
Become a member of the V Crew, cast member or director!
V Crew- The V-Crew helps with the planning and implementation V-Day UNF which includes serving on at least one of the following committees: advertisement sales, education, publicity, technology and party planning/fundraising committee and/or being a part of the cast.
- Advertisement sales committee - Responsible for soliciting advertisements for the souvenir booklet that is distributed both nights of "The Vagina Monologues." Ad sales are a major fundraiser for the Women’s Center.
- Education committee - Develops educational presentations (V-Day Teach-Ins) of different lengths, and arranging and making presentations to campus organizations and classes. V-Day Teach-Ins shine the spotlight on violence against women and girls in a specified country, region, state or city.
- Publicity committee - Creates a marketing plan, designs collateral, contacts community partners and tables at events to promote V-Day.
- Technology Committee - Assembles sets/props as needed, designs and/or works lights/sound as needed, makes call sheets, maintains dressing rooms and green room, sets-up and strikes the show.
- Party Planning/Fundraising Committee - Plans V-Crew and Cast Party and raises funds to pay for the party and other V-Day events.