Minutes of Meeting

Executive Committee Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 11:30 AM

Location: OFE/FA Conference Room - Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Rm 3108

Call to Order:

The Kickoff Buffet Luncheon began at 11:30 AM, with everyone enjoying of food courtesy of Chartwells. The meeting was called to order at 12:05 p.m. by Faculty Association Vice-President David Fenner. FA president, Dr. Radha Pyati and FA vice president, Dr. David Fenner welcomed the new members of the Executive Committee. Thanks to Chartwells for sponsoring the Executive Committee Kick Off Buffet Luncheon. President Pyati thanked the outgoing chairpersons for their service and support. She thanked those Chairs who completed the job descriptions of committee Chairs. 2017-2018 Standing Committee Chairpersons were introduced to the Executive Committee. Each Standing Committee Chair received an information notebook related to their respective committees, within which is contained a CD with templates of committee minutes documents. The CD should be delivered to their respective standing committee secretaries for use in preparing committee minutes. President Radha Pyati explained the role of the Faculty Association Executive Committee. Vice President David Fenner reminds new committee chairs to have the committee secretary forward minutes to Cindy Chin, the Faculty Association Executive Secretary. Revisions can be sent later if corrections are needed. Vice President Fenner also reminds the committee chairs to notify the FA President if their committee has a vacancy, needs a replacement, or if any non-active committee member is absent for three consecutive meetings. The FA president will decide if the non-active committee member needs to be replaced. Vice President Fenner also reminds outgoing and ongoing committee chairs who have not yet done so to submit their 2016-2017 committee annual reports or any missing documentation.

Members Present:

Gordon Rakita, Scott Hochwald, David Fenner, Georgette Dumont, Alan Harris, Chip Klostermeyer, Paul Eason, Dana Hart, Heather Truelove, Kim Cheek, Elizabeth Gregg, Judith Ochrietor, Radha Pyati, Dan Richard, Maria Atilano, Jason Haraldsen

Members Absent:

Raphael Crowley, Claudia Sealey-Potts, Steven Williamson

Ex-Officio Members:

Cindy Chin

Others Attending:

None
  • Approval of Minutes
    The minutes from August 22, 2017 were approved as posted on the webpage.
  • Association President Updated Report – Radha Pyati
    Strategic Plan Review - The Board of Trustees (BOT) will review the UNF Strategic Plan this month for consideration to approve. The Plan has received much input from faculty as well as other stakeholders at UNF. The BOT through its review will have opportunity for input. The goal is to have the strategic plan in place before university level accreditation review.

    Presidential Search
    – Parker Executive Search Firm has provided input on a draft of the position description for the BOT to consider for approval. Input was received from faculty and other stakeholder groups. The Position Announcement Subcommittee of the BOT worked on the final draft of the announcement, and it will be reviewed by the BOT on Saturday, September 23rd in the UNF President’s Conference Room. Once the position announcement is finalized, Parker Executive Search Firm will actively recruit applicants for the position. Parker will provide a monthly report to the Search Committee, some of which will be summarized in email notices from Faculty Association (FA) President Pyati. Many of the applicants are expected to be received at or near the deadline of February 1st. After the deadline, the search process will move quickly (approximately 20 days after the deadline). The purpose of this quick timeline is to limit exposure of candidates to protect them from any negative retribution toward candidates.

    President Pyati and Gordon Rakita attended the Advisory Council of Faculty Senates (ACFS) Meeting in September. ACFS discussed metrics and online education. There is a continued support for online education and for the use of Open Education Resources. Intellectual property issues have not yet been resolved related to online course offerings. Also, there was a discussion regarding an initiative for civics education.
  • New Business

    STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS:

    Executive Committee – David Fenner
    There was no report.


    Academic Standards Committee – Alan Harris

    The Intercollegiate Athletic Committee submitted a recommendation for the Student Attendance Policy (https://www.unf.edu/onestop/registrar/Registration_-_Attendance.aspx) that would require faculty to provide make-up exams for students who are attending a university-sanctioned event. The committee will be meeting with the Intercollegiate Athletic Committee to discuss these options. There was some question regarding which events would qualify as a university-sanctioned event. The Student Government has asked for a final exam policy that would allow limiting students to two finals per day with the option to defer. The committee will invite discussion regarding student misconduct across multiple courses and the sanctions that are available based on multiple offenses. The next meeting of the committee on Friday, September 29th, at 12:00 noon in the OFE/FA Conference Room.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee – Elizabeth Gregg
    At its last meeting, the committee updated the Bylaws for the Adjunct Teaching Award. There is a first reading of the updated charge for the committee.
    Agenda Item# 9 -FA 17-52: Faculty Association Bylaws Amendment: 1st Reading by Update the Charge.

    The item passed by majority vote.

    Budget Advisory Committee – Jason Haraldsen

    The committee will be meeting with Associate Provost Jay Coleman to discuss the performance metrics. The committee met last month with Associate Vice President, Budgets and Personnel Dan Moon regarding budget. The goal of these meetings are to understand faculty input on metrics and how these issues are affecting the budget. As a reminder, the Chair and Vice Chair of the Budget Advisory Committee should be invited to Academic Affairs budget discussions. FA President Pyati will follow-up with an email to Academic Affairs to remind them to invite the Chair and Vice Chair to these discussions.

    Campus Technology Committee – Georgette Dumont
    Georgette Dumont is new Chair for the Campus Technology Committee. The committee met and discussed the role of Clickers (student electronic response systems) and plagiarism management software (e.g., Vericite). The committee discussed the updating of campus computers to Office 365.  The benefits would be more storage in the cloud environment.  The target for conversion to Office 365 would be next year. The current operating system is Windows 8, which will be “sun setting” in June.  There is one information item for the FA meeting in October, which is switch to accepting Academic Technology Grants only in the Spring instead of the Fall and Spring. In addition, there will be changes in the rubric to align the rubric to the call for proposals,
    Information Item# 2– Academic Technology Grant Timeline.


    Faculty Affairs Committee – Gordon Rakita
    The committee has one information item for the October FA meeting.
    Information Item# 3 - 2017 Campus Climate Survey Results. 
    Issues that were of most concern were faculty morale, salaries, compensation, strategic planning and vision, support for research, evaluation of faculty, civility, diversity issues, and Institutional Review Board challenges. The report contains a chart identifying those items that faculty found higher than median importance and higher than median satisfaction. The chart also includes items with higher than median importance and lower than median satisfaction. The report includes trends over time as well as representative discursive comments from faculty.

     

    Faculty Enhancement Committee – Raphael Crowley/Claudia Sealey-Potts

    No report.

     

    Nominations and Elections Committee – Dana Hart/Heather Truelove
    The committee is making preparations for this year’s nominations and elections process. Nominations for the open positions on the Nominations and Elections Committee through Thursday, October 19th, and again from the floor of the November Faculty Association (FA) meeting. Open positions include one member from the College of Arts & Sciences (COAS), one representative from the College of Education, one representative from the Library, and one at-large member. Heather Truelove will be taking on the role of Nominations & Elections Chair in January. The committee has one information item for the October FA meeting.
    Information Item # 1 - Nominations for the Nominations and Elections Committee


    Research Council – Judith Ochrietor
    The Research Council met last on August 30th. The council reviewed its charge. The council also reviewed the recent Research Statement released by the Faculty Association. Vice President John Kantner presented the council with a fixed-price policy regarding when grants cost are more (or less) than what was received.  New language in the policy indicates that a percentage (10% of the original award maximum) would be refunded to a faculty Individual Professional Development account and 25% would be returned to the University for Overhead Costs. The policy was modified to deal with overages of grants and to discourage faculty from over-inflating research budgets. There was some discussion regarding presented evidence of overages.


    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee – Paul Eason
    The Strategic Planning Advisory Committee met in September. The committee submitted the existing Strategic Plan to the Board of Trustees to receive a vote in September or October. The committee will be focusing on one of the faculty-related action items in the Strategic Plan. The committee is investigating to whom it should be providing advice relative to the Strategic Plan.


    Support Services Committee – Maria Atilano
    The committee met on August 31st.  The next meeting will be in September 22nd at 3 p.m. in the Library Conference Room. The committee has invited the Director of the Center for Community-Based Learning and the Student Union regarding fees for services.

    Academic Programs Committee – Kim Cheek
    The comte has 8 agenda items.

    Motion: Waive the Bylaws in Kim Cheek’s case such that she can serve a full two-year term as Chair of Academic Programs Committee.

    The motion passed by majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 1 -FA 17-44: COAS- Undergraduate (New Degree Proposal)

    This package was considered by the Executive Committee last month. The authors changed the language to indicate that if resources were not available that the program would limit enrollment. The authors also changed the language to address equipment and resources in the community to support the program.
    The motion passed by majority vote.
    Agenda Item# 2 -FA 17-45: BCH – Undergraduate
    This item includes a proposal to add research experience for undergraduates in the Nutrition program, to create an undergraduate certificate in global health, and to correct a course numbering issue of one of the courses.
    The motion passed by majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 3 -FA 17-46: BCH- Graduate
    The item includes a graduate program in Clinical and Applied Movement Sciences, a Master of Science in Athletic Training Major.

    The motion passed by majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 4 -FA 17-47: BCH- Doctoral

    This item corrects an error in pre-requisites in the Doctoral program in the School of Nursing.
    The motion passed by majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 5 -FA 17-48: HHC- Undergraduate

    This item addresses a past increase to 28 credits, which has had a negative impact on enrollment. This item reduces the number of credits and provides guidance for students for course registration.

    The motion passed by majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 6 -FA 17-49: UG- Undergraduate

    This item had been returned previously for clarification regarding tuition. The descriptions have been revised for clarification regarding no tuition for the first-year seminar and tuition for the Community Engagement course. The Community Engagement course name was changed to Community Engagement-UNF Cares.
    The motion passed by majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 7-FA 17-50: 5-Year Untaught Courses- Undergraduate

    This item was moved to the consent agenda for the October Faculty Association meeting.
    The motion passed by majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 8-FA 17-51: 5-Year Untaught Courses- Graduate

    This item was moved to the consent agenda for the October Faculty Association meeting.
    The motion passed by majority vote.

  • Consent Agenda
    Agenda Items# FA 17-50 and FA 17-51 will be considered as consent agenda items.
  • Others

     

    • Oct 10 APCs Deadline for 2018-2019 UNF Catalog
    • Nominations for 2017-2018 Outstanding Undergraduate, Graduate, & Adjunct Teaching Awards begin on Monday, September 18 through Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 5 PM.
    • 2016-2017 Standing Committee Annual Reports
    • Family Weekend October 20-22 by Director Jeanne Middleton

     

  • Adjournment & Next Meeting
    The meeting was adjourned at

    The next Faculty Association Meeting will be on Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 12:15 PM.
    The next Executive Committee Meeting will be on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 12:15 PM