Minutes of Meeting

Executive Committee Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 12:15 PM

Location: OFE/FA Conference Room - Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Rm 3108

Call to Order:

The Executive Committee meeting was called to order at 12:15 pm by Faculty Association Vice-President David Fenner.

Members Present:

Paul Eason, Elizabeth Gregg, Alan Harris, Gordon Rakita, Kim Cheek, Claudia Sealy-Potts, Heather Truelove, Judith Ochrietor, Andrea Arikawa, Maria Atilano, David Fenner, Radha Pyati, Jason Haraldsen, Chip Klostermeyer, Scott Hochwald

Members Absent:

Georgette Dumont, Raphael Crowley

Ex-Officio Members:

Cindy Chin

Others Attending:

none
  • Approval of Minutes
    The approval of the minutes from the September 19, 2017, meeting was postponed until the November Faculty Association (FA) Executive Committee meeting.
  • Faculty Association President – Radha Pyati

    There was a motion to move the FA Meeting from Thursday, February the 1st to Thursday, February the 8th, to allow discussion of the presidential candidates on the floor of the FA Meeting in February. Candidate interviews are scheduled for February 6th and 7th.
    The motion passed by majority vote. 

    Mrs. Cindy Chin will check to see if the Talon Room and catering are available for the February 8th meeting. 


    There was a discussion the proper way of handling the APC returned package FA#17-46 (Log#201705-2 - M.S. in Athletic Training). The package was returned as of the October FA Meeting because of some discussion with the Mathematics and Statistics Department. The package was returned to the Executive Committee. In the time since the package was discussed in the October FA Meeting, the members of the Athletic Training program and the Mathematics and Statistics Department have met to discuss the proposal, and the Chair of the Mathematics and Statistics Department has provided a letter of support for the inclusion of a new course of Research Methods, which includes statistical analysis in the Athletic Training program.

    There was a motion to put the item on the agenda for the November FA Meeting.
    The motion passed by majority vote.

    There was a discussion of Item FA#17-48. The item passed in the October FA meeting; however, the language in the item was incorrect. Therefore, the language has been corrected making the course requirements less restrictive, from “must include” to “normally would include.”
    There was a motion to include the revised item on the November FA agenda.
    The motion passed by majority vote.

    There was a discussion regarding canceling classes on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. One view was that it should be up to the discretion of the specific instructor of the class. Another view is that many students are traveling for the holidays, and that having the Wednesday before Thanksgiving will facilitate safe travel for our students. Another viewpoint is that students should have the entire week off and extend the semester one week in December. The Executive Committee decided to send the recommendation of taking the week off during Thanksgiving and extending the semester in December to the Calendar Committee.

  • New Business

    STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS:

    Executive Committee – David Fenner

    No report.

    Academic Standards Committee – Alan Harris
    The committee will meet on Friday, October 20th and discuss the Intercollegiate Attendance Policy. The issue is that at times, when athletes miss exams, and the faculty member has a policy of dropping exams, student athletes inadvertently limit the student athlete by having the athlete drop the exam missed. Students with disabilities might have accommodations that others who are sick do not. If a student with a disability retakes a missed exam, often there are proctors at the Disability Resource Center to supervise the exam. Other students who miss exams do not have this benefit, as proctors need to be arranged for make-up exams. The issue will be discussed at the next Academic Standards Committee meeting.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee – Elizabeth Gregg
    The committee last met on October 4th. Graduate Teaching Assistants are being paid more than the base-rate for Adjunct faculty. The committee decided to gather data. The committee plans to invite the Provost to discuss Adjunct pay. The committee will submit the second reading of changes to the Bylaws FA 17-52. The bylaws change will be voted on at the next FA meeting.


    Budget Advisory Committee – Jason Haraldsen
    The committee met with Associate Provost Jay Coleman. The Board of Governors (BOG) is voting on a UNF specific metric. The top three choices are Online Courses, Internships, Students involved in Undergraduate Research. UNF Board of Trustees proposed these three to the BOG. Increasing online teaching was rated by faculty (Campus Climate Survey) as one of the least important items. One of the reasons online enrollment has been offered as a potential metric is because enrollments are likely to increase over time. We have had increases in online enrollment over the past several years. The metrics of focus are retention and graduation rates. Academic Affairs will be spending $300K on retention software to support student tracking, $300K for student on-campus jobs, and they are increasing supplemental instruction for students in the amount of $250K. Next meeting will be on October 25th, meeting with Dan Moon, Associate Vice President, to discuss budget.


    Campus Technology Committee – Gordon Rakita reporting for Georgette Dumont

    The committee met and discussed student response systems (i.e., “clickers”), academic technology grants, and the transition to Microsoft 360.


    Faculty Affairs Committee – Gordon Rakita
    The committee met and discussed the Students Rights and Responsibilities draft proposal submitted by the Dean of Students, Tom VanShoor. The committee reviewed the proposal and made recommendations. The proposal likely will be forwarded to the Academic Standards Committee


    There was a motion to approve the Item FA 17-56 Family Leave Resolution. The resolution outlines the justification for supporting the resolution. The United Faculty of Florida are in negotiations at this time regarding this issue. In the most recent Campus Climate survey, faculty rated the issue of employee benefits above the median in importance.
    The motion was approved by majority vote. 


    Faculty Enhancement Committee – Raphael Crawley/Claudia Sealey-Potts

    Claudia reported. The committee will be meeting tomorrow, Wednesday, October 18th, to discuss the organizational structure associated with supporting faculty development at UNF.

    Nominations and Elections Committee – Dana Hart/Heather Truelove
    Heather reported. The committee meets online, and the main order of business is to manage nominations for the upcoming Faculty Association election. The committee will take final nominations at the November FA meeting, and one information item# Elections for the Nominations and Elections Committee is included in the next FA mtg agenda.

    Research Council – Judith Ochrietor

    The council last met on September 27th and discussed the policy on when faculty are allowed to re-apply for a summer faculty development grant. The proposal was that the waiting period applies to the rank when the faculty member received the grant rather than the faculty member’s current rank.


    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee – Paul Eason
    UNF has an approved Strategic Plan. The next meeting of the committee will be Monday, October 23rd.


    Support Services Committee – Maria Atilano

    The committee last met on October 13th, with Jennifer Nutt, Associate Director of the Student Union. The committee discussed changes to the fee structure for use of the Student Union. Some small rooms in the Student Union do not cost money, and if the event is working with a student group, the event space is free. The next meeting of the committee will be November 9th, when the committee will meet with Ruth Lopez, Senior Director of the International Center. 


    Academic Programs Committee –Kim Cheek
    The committee last met on October 5th, and the next meetings for the committee will be on October 26th and November 2nd. At the upcoming meetings, the committee will be considering 65 packets associated with academic programs. The committee also be dealing with questions about how to interpret whether there is an overlap in the focus of a course across disciplines and what is meant by “all relevant parties will be consulted” in regard to academic programs.

    Agenda Item# 4 -FA 17-53: COAS – Undergraduate
    There is a name change, an added course, corrections to errors in prerequisites, and a proposal to reduce the credits in the Music Education Major to comply with accrediting requirements.
    The motion passed by majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 5 -FA 17-54: COAS - Graduate
    There is a proposal by the Department of Communication to add an elective, and there is an addition of Harp to the Music Performance- String concentration.
    The motion passed by majority vote.

  • Consent Agenda
    Agenda Item# 6 -FA 17-55: BCH- Undergraduate
    This is to correct an error to make a course Pass-Fail instead of having a letter grade assigned to the course.
    The item passed by majority vote and will be included on the consent agenda in November 2017.
  • Information Items
    There was a motion for a Special Report from Dr. Rusty Dubberly, Director - Disability Resource Center, to be included on the FA Agenda in November.
    - Information Item# 2 - Exemption to Course Attendance Policy Accommodation
    The motion to include the special report on the agenda passed by majority vote.
  • Adjournment & Next Meeting
    The meeting was adjourned at 1:25 p.m.

    The next Faculty Association Meeting will be on Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 12:15 PM.
    The next Executive Committee Meeting will be on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 12:15 PM