STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS:
Executive Committee – David Fenner
Information Item# 2 – Jack Kleinsinger, has been nominated for an Honorary Degree
- Last year, the Faculty Affairs Committee changed the process of conveying honorary degrees such that the approval process goes through the Department and College Dean, and if approved by Faculty Affairs, then the request is forwarded to the FA Executive Committee, and if approved, is forwarded back to the Faculty Affairs Committee to forward the recommendation to the University President.
- There was a discussion about the criteria and about other names who were forwarded but were not approved. It was discussed that there are no posthumous honorary degrees awarded through this process.
- Eligibility criteria is listed on the UNF website in the Faculty Handbook, Policy 8.8 Honorary Degrees, https://www.unf.edu/acadaffairs/faculty_handbook/Chapter08.aspx.
- The motion was approved.
- VP Fenner will send this information to Dr. Gordon Rakita, Chair of the Faculty Affairs Committee, who will forward this information to President Delaney.
- An information item will be included in the Faculty Association agenda when we have President Delaney’s decision.
- FA Past President Chip Klostermeyer - There was a proposal that members of the Executive Committee discuss with the faculty at the Faculty Association Meeting how to encourage healthy debate.
Academic Standards Committee –Steven Williamson
Scott Hochwald reported for the committee.
Adjunct Affairs Committee – Elizabeth Gregg
- The Academic Standards Committee met on Friday, Sept 16th.
- The committee discussed what a faculty member should do if a student threatens a faculty member with harm.
- The committee discussed that if a faculty member feels threatened either because of direct threats or otherwise, the faculty member should contact campus police or the Dean of Students in Student Affairs.
- The Executive Committee suggested referring the issue to the Campus Safety Advisory Council.
The committee last met on August 30th.
Budget Advisory Committee – Alan Harris
- The committee discussed adjunct faculty pay, and how many adjunct faculty rely on their faculty position as their main source of income.
- They also discussed the faculty pay related to other non-tenure-track faculty, including visiting faculty.
- The committee discussed that there was no funding for travel to conferences for non-tenure-track faculty who are presenting research for UNF.
- It was noted that the Adjunct Affairs Committee members will serve to select Outstanding Adjunct Teaching Award this year.
- The committee will be meeting the first Tuesday of each month at 10:30 a.m. in the College of Education and Human Services in the LSCSM Conference Room, 3rd floor.
Paul Eason reported for the committee.
Campus Technology Committee – Jose Franco
- The Budget Advisory Committee has scheduled to meet with Janet Owen, Vice President for Governmental Relations, to discuss special budget requests and the upcoming Florida legislative session.
- The next meeting for the committee will be 12:00 noon on Monday, September 26th, in Building 50, Room 3300.
Faculty Affairs Committee – Gordon Rakita
- The committee cancelled the meeting on Friday, September 2 due to the university was closed because of hurricane storm.
- The committee elected Jose Franco as Chair and elected representatives for Distance Learning Committee, Canvas Transition Committee, and the University Technology Committee via the email election.
- Upcoming Meeting will be on Friday, October 7th @11:30 a.m. in the OFE/FA Conference Room.
David Fenner reported for the committee.
Faculty Enhancement Committee -- Raphael Crowley
- Agenda Item# 6 – FA 16-40: To change the name from “Coastal Biology Flagship Program to “Coastal and Marine Biology Flagship Program.”
- There are a number of program faculty who are Marine Biologists.
- The item was approved to be included on the FA agenda.
- The committee last met on Wednesday, September 7th @12:00 noon in the OFE/FA Conference Room.
- The committee selected Dr. Crowley as Chair and discussed the committee agenda given that the committee will no longer be reviewing summer teaching grant applications (as the program has been re-formatted).
- The next meeting will be on Wednesday, October 12th @12:00 noon in the OFE/FA Conference Room, Building 16, Room 3108.
Nominations and Elections Committee – Dana Hart
Information Item# 1 - Nominations for the Nominations and Elections Committee
- The Nominations and Elections Committee will be filling positions on their own committee.
- They will take nominations starting October 6th Faculty Association meeting and take nominations until Oct 20th, with final nominations being taken at the November FA meeting. At that point, the nominations for the Nominations and Elections Committee will be closed.
- The committee needs one member from the College of Arts & Sciences, one from Coggin College of Business, one from the College of Computing Engineering, and Construction, and one from Brooks College of Health. There is one At-Large position open for nomination, which will serve as Vice-Chair in 2017 and Chair in 2018. Dr. Hart will become Chair in January 2017.
- There has been no meeting since the election in the Spring of 2016. The first meeting this year will be to solicit nominations for the committee.
- There was a suggestion to alert Peter Lowe in the Institutional Research office regarding the need for supporting the Faculty Association elections process.
Research Council - Aisha Johnson-Jones
- The committee last met on September 12th.
- The committee discussed the research grant application process. The committee received the new guidelines. There are new limitations on how often faculty are able to receive the award based on their rank. Instructors now are able to submit an application and receive a research grant without having to apply with a tenure-track faculty member. The deadline for research grant applications is Oct 21st.
- There is one vacancy on the Research Council, which has been forwarded to FA President Pyati.
Strategic Planning Advisory Committee – Paul Eason
Support Services Committee – Brian Kopp
- Paul Eason was elected Chair of the Strategic Planning Advisory Committee.
- The committee will try to meet with the Provost and President during the upcoming meetings.
- The first meeting of the committee is Friday, September 23rd, where the Center for Instruction and Research Technology will discuss their services.
- The following meeting will be on Wednesday, October 26th, where the command staff of University Police Department will visit the committee to discuss those services.
- In November, scheduled for the 17th, Dr. Cheresa Boston from the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs will visit and discuss the services of the office.
Academic Programs Committee – Michael Bovenzi
- The Academic Programs Committee (APC) will have two meetings in October, on the 6th and one at the end of October, at 10:00 a.m. in the OFE/FA Conference Room.
- Agenda Item# 1 - FA 16-35: CCB – Undergraduate, Creation of Elective Courses
- There was a suggestion change to the course, Game Theory to Economic Game Theory.
- The item will be returned to the APC, and the Chair will confirm that the proposed name change is acceptable
- The item was approved with modification to Log Number 201601-33.
- Agenda Item# 2 - FA 16-36: CCEC – Graduate
- Agenda Item# 3 - FA 16-37: BCH – Undergraduate
- The item was approved, with a modification to Log Number 201605-18, Complex Nursing Concepts and Practice, which should be listed as variable credits in the system.
- Agenda Item# 4 - FA 16-38: BCH – Graduate
- The item was approved, with a note to modify the course title from Sexual Issue in Counseling to Sexual Issues in Counseling
- • Agenda Item# 5 - FA 16-39: BCH – Doctoral