Minutes of Meeting

Campus Technology Committee Friday, October 13, 2017 at 3:00 PM

Location: OFE/FA Conference Room - Osprey Commons, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Rm 3108

Call to Order:

Dr. Georgette Dumont called to order in the meeting at 3:01 p.m.

Members Present:

Voting Members Present: Georgette Dumont, Sherif Elfayoumy, Jennifer Murray; Gregory Wurtz, Sean Davis, Linda Connelly Non-Voting Members Attending: Gordon Rakita (Academic Technology Director),), Jeff Durfee (Networking, Systems, & Security Director), Christopher Petrello (Director IT Service Management), and Deb Miller (CIRT Senior Director)

Members Absent:

Voting Members Absent: Suzanne Ehrlich Non-Voting Members Absent: Dmitriy Bond (Enterprise Systems Director), Reggie Brinson (ITS Chief Information Officer
  • Approval of Minutes
    Minutes of September 2017 was approved unanimously.
  • Reports
    • CIRT Report
      • Faculty domains – have 52-55 who have claimed a domain.
      • In discussion with the library with OERs – Open Educational Resources – provide faculty with resources and support for classes. Identifying content. More details to come.
      • Attendance monitoring in Canvas – working on different systems to maximize efficiencies for faculty.
      • Continue to roll out communication to keep faculty updated on Canvas.
      • Grade transfer tools are ready to use to transfer between Canvas and MyWings. 
       
    • Academic Technology
      • Like feedback for AT grants. More to follow.
      • Only one funding round of 2017-2018 FA grants - $10,000 total 
      • Dr. Andrew Thoeni – Project to create research data mart. Acquire data sets from companies assoc. with UNF (shopping cart data from Public, JTA transport data, ex.) One central storage place. Data will be available for faculty – teaching or research
      • Dr. Rakita – Mobile Web conferencing Cart has been used more lately – available for faculty use. Software is BlueJeans. Provide Information Item to FA. 
      • Looking at doing a feasibility study for a new/revised APC Workflow System 
       

     

  • Old Business

     

    • Clickers
      • Review reports
        • Deb gave a history of UNF and Clickers
      • Guest: Andrew (Drew) Thoeni 
        • Discussed his experience with clickers 40 – 220 students. Hardware works fine for him. 
        • Software issues though. Put in a list of problems some years ago, but none have been addressed.
        • Company customer service/support was less than satisfactory
        • To reduce chances of cheating, they like the physical clicker device. 
        • One problem is if students get clickers online used, they could have been reprogramed. 
        • Options – can reopen clicker search - only other one would be iClickers.
        • Could have different providers- up to faculty (eg iClickers is a Pearsons product)
        • Agreement: Will send out survey to faculty to get more info on use of clickers and their experience. If there is interest in virtual devices, Deb Miller will do a market search. Antiplagiarism Tools – Tabled until November
      • Role of CTC
      • Discussion on Canvas https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/9413
      • Invite Linda Howell (Writing Center)?

     

  • New Business
    • CTC Grants
      • Reviewed new policy – no disagreement 
      • Subcommittee will come back with finalized revisions for a vote 
       
    • IT Support Staff for evening classes
      • Make sure that all classroom – including in Coggin – IT help contact sheets 
       
    • ITS and Office 360 [Reordered to go first on agenda]
      • Still testing for migration – just starting the communication campaign. It will be a drip campaign starting in about 4-6 weeks – increase more in Spring. 
      • How should it get feedback on Office 360 from campus community?
      • Best way to notify campus
      • Will get comm. people involved. Will be back as needed.
       
    • Wireless upgrade will be taking place. First phase of 3. To get all classrooms wireless accessibility. Higher density, more reliability, faster speed. Needed b/c of increased number of connections. 
  • Adjournment & Next Meeting
    The meeting was adjourned at 4:06 p.m.

    Next meeting is TBD.