Skip to Main Content

Minutes of Meeting

Budget Advisory Committee Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 1:00 PM

Location: Building 50, Room 2600 (Physics Department Conference Room)

Meeting Details

Call to Order:

Jason Haraldsen called the meeting to order at 1:00 pm.

Members Present:

Bruce Kavan, Tammy Druash, Jason Haraldsen, Susan Massey

Members Absent:

Jeffrey Cornett (on Sabbatical), Greg Wurtz, Matthew Corrigan

Others Attending:

Dan Moon, Associate Vice President of the Academic Affairs

Meeting Minutes

  • Approval of the Minutes

    September 2017 minutes were approved.
  • New Business/Announcements/Other Discussions

    1.  Dr. Moon distributed a copy of the 2017-18 E&G Budget Request for Recurring and Non-Recurring Funds. He explained that the spreadsheet did not include funding “taken off the top” each year that is always paid, whether the funds come from recurring or non-recurring funds. Sources of budget funds:
      1. Recurring funds are based on FTE. 
      2. In addition, some institutions receive an extra allocation above the other SUS funding for pre-eminent research status (UF, FSU, UCF) and emerging pre-eminent status (USF). The status is based on benchmarks such as number of graduate programs and research expenditures.
      3. LBRs (Legislative Budget Requests): Special program or project requests that are added to an institution’s recurring funds if approved by the legislature. There is a current LBR on the table for program development for 3rd tier institutions that include FGCU, UWF, UNF & Florida A&M.

       
    2. Discussion about whether to move toward emerging pre-eminent status: making a change would require changing the DNA of UNF. Leadership at this point is looking at ways to increase infrastructure support for research and scholarship, and will wait for hiring of the new President to determine future directions.

    3. The timeframe for UNF budget development has been moved up. Budget requests must be completed by March 2018. Dan expressed an interest in meeting with the BAC in January/February to get feedback on initiatives to include in budget requests. In particular, he would like to know from faculty:
      1. If we have additional money to spend, where should we spend it? (What strategic initiatives are essential to our quality of education and will promote increased legislative funding?)
      2. If we need to cut, where should we do it? (What funding requests will have less impact on our primary teaching mission and are least likely to affect legislative funding support?)
      3. Now that we have an approved strategic plan, do our budget requests support our focus? (Is our budget linked to our strategic planning efforts?)

        Implementation of the strategic plan has been assigned to people from areas linked to the strategies and action items. The BAC can help AA budget development by providing feedback from faculty.

       
    4. We plan to meet with Dan Moon again in January and February to voice comments and concerns from the faculty.
  • Adjournment & Next Meeting

    The meeting adjourned at 2:10 PM.

    Next meeting will be on Thursday, November 16th at 4:00 PM in Bldg. 50 (Rm. 2600). We will discuss the budgetary suggestions and comments from faculty.