School of Music – Undergraduate
Change a degree-major-concentration of an existing program
Bachelor of Music – Music Performance Major –
Music Technology & Performance Concentration
Summary of the Changes:
This package is seeking to change the Music History requirement for the Music Technology and Production concentration of the Bachelor of Music Performance degree.
Currently, students in this concentration must take MUH 3211 Music History I and MUH 3212 Music History II in their junior year. However, these courses are geared primarily toward the needs and interests of students in our Classical Performance degrees. We would like to replace them with two courses that are being created in a separate APC package (201708-54):
-- MUH3xxx Western Music History and Popular Cultures I
-- MUH3xxx Western Music History and Popular Cultures II
Unlike MUH 3211 Music History I and MUH 3212 Music History II, these new courses will address not just the history of European and North American art music, but also histories of jazz, popular music, and world styles. They will therefore emphasize the wider variety of musical styles that our Music Technology students are likely to encounter in their music careers.
Furthermore, this package is cleaning up the existing program of study in the catalog by fixing several poorly-worded or inaccurate elements.
Therefore, in the attached program of study, the following changes are being made:
1) In the Freshman Year Fall Semester, information about the piano proficiency waiver is being added, and the course number, title, and credit hours of MUM1630 Introduction to Digital Audio are being fixed.
2) In the first four semesters (Freshman Fall, Freshman Spring, Sophomore Fall, Sophomore Spring), the wording of both the Applied Music Course requirement and the Large Ensemble requirement is being fixed, and the credit hours for each are being indicated.
3) It is now indicated that MUM3701 The Music Business should be taken during the Sophomore Year Summer.
4) In the Junior Year Fall Semester, MUH 3211 Music History I is being removed and MUH3xxx Western Music History and Popular Cultures I is being added (with a note stating that Music History I may be taken in lieu of the new course with the permission of the instructor).
5) In the Junior Year Spring Semester, MUH 3212 Music History II is being removed and MUH3xxx Western Music History and Popular Cultures II is being added (with a note stating that Music History II may be taken in lieu of the new course with the permission of the instructor).
6) In the Senior Year Fall Semester, MUT4311 Orchestration is being removed and 3 credit hours of music electives are being added.
7) In the Senior Year Spring Semester, MUT4311 Orchestration is being added and 3 credit hours of music electives are being removed.
(Click here for the program of study)