Gear Check-out & Adventure Trips
It is one of the few student outdoor gear check-out programs in the country that is free of cost. Students can check out camping gear such as tents, sleeping bags, kayaks, canoes and surfboards. It also takes pride in its close relationship and services to the customer helping them find and plan their next adventure.
Hours and Location
Gear checkout is open Monday - Saturday 12 PM - 5 PM. Lake Oneida and gear return both close at 4:30 PM.
Closed during observed UNF holidays and intersession.
Eco Adventure and the John M. Golden Education Pavilion are located in Building 54/Lot 100, next to parking services.
- Student must be a currently enrolled student
- Students are limited to one canoe, paddleboard (Lake Oneida only) or kayak per ID.
- Items can be rented for week. Within that week the student may renew the gear if they bring the gear back along with their ID to extend their checkout. Anytime beyond those two weeks items are subject to late fees.
- Any and all Damages must be noted prior to check-out
- All equipment must be returned during regular operating hours and in person by the person that rented the gear. Any equipment returned or left at the rental counter during non-operating hours will not be returned and late fees will accumulate until the equipment is returned in person and during operating hours.
- Return Equipment to Eco Adventure only during business hours.
- Please arrive a minimum of 30 minutes before closing time
- Please allow an approximate 15 minutes to check your equipment.
- All pieces of gear must be present or gear will not be accepted as returned
- Gear must be return by same user that checked it out.
- All late fees will be charged on student’s MyWings accounts.
- Late Fees are $10.00 per day per items checked out.
- If Fees exceed 10 working days or total worth of equipment is established in late fees, the total amount for the gear will be charged to the respective myWings account
- Returned items are expected reasonably clean and dry
- Do not wash or dry sleeping bags
Eco Adventure leaders plan and lead overnight and day wilderness trips which feature activities such as hiking, climbing, kayaking, skiing and white water rafting.
Fall 2019 Trips
Whitewater Rafting Trip
Join us September 27-29 for rafting and camping in North Carolina on the Nantahala and Ocoee Rivers.
Includes: Camping for 2 nights, rafting rental and guide fee.
Beginner Climbing Trip
October 18-20, Eco Adventure will explore the mountains of North Carolina teaching basic top-rope skills along with hiking and camping in Pisgah National Forest.
Includes: Camping for two nights and guides fees.
Cumberland Island Hiking and Camping Trip
Spend the weekend exploring Cumberland Island on this 2 day, 2 night excursion. Limited to first 7 students.
When: October 25-26
Includes: Entry to park, ferry fee, camping for one night and camping gear.
Suwannee River Canoe and Camping Trip
A weekend of paddling and camping along the Suwannee River
When: November 15-17
Spring 2019 Trips
Snowshoe Mountain Ski Trip
Enjoy two days of skiing in Snowshoe, WV.
When: February 21-24
Includes: Lodging for 3 nights, transportation, ski lift tickets and gear rental.
Grand Canyon Hiking and Camping Trip
Join us for a bucket list hike to the Grand Canyon from the South Rim all the way to the North Rim of the canyon and back.
This will be a challenging hike not for the faint of heart. You will average 15 miles a day and cover over two vertical miles in elevation change!
When: March 18-22
Includes: Camping fees, transportation and guides.
Beach Paddle Day
Learn to paddle board at Jacksonville Beach!
When: April 6
Includes: Paddleboard rental
Trips subject to cancellation due to inclement weather or low participation
Visit our Facebook page for more information.