Youth Sports & Fitness Camp
The Youth Sports and Fitness Camp, accredited by the American Camp Association, began in 1981 with the idea of keeping kids active all summer long. It is an all-sports camp designed for ages 5 - 14 years old. All of our activities are age appropriate and are designed so that every camper has fun!
Our mission is to keep campers active all summer through interactive sports activities that promote teamwork, good sportsmanship, and positive attitudes.
The Department of Recreation and Wellness is responding to
University, county, and state recommendations regarding COVID-19. In consideration of the well-being of our campers, camp staff and greater campus community, summer camp programs will not be available this
. We are hopeful to resume camp programming in the future as our community continues to adapt to this new health environment. Due to the varied remote work of our staff, the best way to communicate with us is through email at
. We appreciate your patience as staffing is limited.
Camps are offered on a weekly basis for ages 5 - 14 with 9 sessions beginning following the end of Duval County schools. Camp hours are 9 AM - 4 PM.
Our camp is divided into six age groups:
- Ospreys: Ages 5-6
- Tomcats: Ages 7-8
- Suns: Age 9
- Sharks: Age 10
- Jaguars: Ages 11-12
- Barracudas: Ages 13-14
Pick-up/Drop-off is located in lot 4, in front of the Student Union, Bldg. 58 West. Campers can be dropped off as early as 7:30 AM and be picked up as late as 6 PM at no additional cost.
For late drop-offs or early pick-ups, stop by or call the Recreation and Wellness Office located in The Student Wellness Complex, Building 61.
Youth Sports & Fitness Camp fees are per child, per week and cannot be pro-rated. Families with multiple children registered together in the same camp and on the same transaction, will receive a 10% discount per week on each additional child registered. Discount will automatically be applied at checkout.
General Public Weekly Rate: $210
You have the option to pay in full or to be placed on a payment plan*. A non-refundable convenience fee will apply to all transactions.
*If you choose the payment plan option, payment for the first week the camper is registered will be required at checkout and the following weeks they are registered will be placed on the payment plan. Each Sunday, before the registered week of camp, the payment for that week will be automatically charged. The convenience fee will only be applied to the first week in the payment plan, not the recurring auto-payments.
A $25 fee will be assessed per camper, per week for cancellations.
Camp discounts available for parents/guardians that are Military, UNF Students, UNF Staff and UNF Alumni. Each camp season, discounted rates must be set by the office staff. To set-up your discounted rate: 1. Create your online account, 2. Call the Recreation and Wellness Office to have your customer type verified and updated in order to register at the discounted rate*. Military and UNF discounts cannot be combined.
*To verify Military status, please plan to visit the office to show proof of Military status.
- Active Military Weekly Rate: $190
- UNF USPS Staff Weekly Rate: $155
- UNF Faculty/A&P Weekly Rate: $165
- UNF Alumni Weekly Rate: $165
- UNF Student Weekly Rate: $120
If you do not see your discounted rate during checkout, stop immediately and call the office. Refunds will not be given to those who register at the wrong rate.
- Sport skill instruction
- Indoor/Outdoor free play
- Indoor rock climbing
- Group fitness classes
- Weekly field trip
- Week 1: Flag Football
- Week 2: Basketball
- Week 3: Volleyball and Softball
- Week 4: Soccer
- Week 5: Tennis
- Week 6: Flag Football
- Week 7: Soccer
- Week 8: Basketball
- Week 9: Volleyball and Tennis
*Summer Camp Swimming
Swimming takes place at a campus housing pool and swim time is exclusive to our camp program participants. Water depths vary from 3 ½ feet to 5 feet. Camps swim in age groups with 45-minute swim times available Monday - Thursday (weather permitting).
Camper safety is our priority. Certified lifeguards are on duty and camp counselor are actively engaged with campers either on the pool deck or in the water. Swim tests are given by the lifeguards on the first day of camp each week. To successfully complete the swim test and swim without a life jacket, campers must swim a distance of 25 yards across the pool demonstrating coordinated arm and leg movement, rhythmic breathing, and without needing assistance or being too fatigued at the end. This swim test provides a safety gauge for lifeguards to determine if a camper can safely swim for the duration of their swim time in a pool with varied depths up to 5 feet. Camp counselors log the swim test and life jacket results throughout each camp week. Campers may re-attempt the swim test throughout the week. US Coast Guard life jackets are provided to children who do not pass the swim test. Swim lessons are not available.
Please contact Heather Kite, Associate Director for RecWell Operations, for more information about camp pool safety practices.
An outstanding camp is a place where campers are valued. All camp staff will:
- view each camper as a unique individual with something special to offer.
- show an interest in each camper, calling them by name, communicating individually with them, and listening to what they have to say.
- create an environment where the focus in on the interests and needs of the campers.
- be knowledgeable and able to support the camp goals, safety considerations, and camp policies.
- teach the proper sports skills for the planned activities,
- teach the campers the proper way to act during activities, i.e., good sportsmanship.
- introduce the campers to new activities.
- instill the concept of teamwork.
- ensure that the campers are learning, and at the same time having fun.
- be a positive role model for the children.
Field trips are held every Friday, 9 AM - 4 PM. We will be unable to accept late drop-offs or early pick-ups on these days. These are examples of past field trips:
- Week 1- Bowling (all groups)
- Week 2- Pump it Up (Ages 5-8), Skate Station (Ages 9-14)
- Week 3- Jacksonville Zoo- (all groups)
- Week 4- Hands on Museum (Ages 5-8), Jacksonville Ice (Ages 9-14)
- Week 5- On campus cookout (Thursday)
- Week 6- Sunshine Park (Ages 5-8), Adventure Landing Dry Park (Ages 9-14)
- Week 7- Jumbo Shrimp Baseball Game (Tuesday)
- Week 8- Chuck E Cheese (Ages 5-8), Fun Flight (Ages 9-14)
- Week 9- Adventure Landing Dry Park (Ages 5-8), Water park (Ages 9-14)
The Youth Sport and Fitness Camp offers a lunch option for campers for an additional $40 per week to be paid by check, made payable to Mayes Food Service. Payment is due each Monday of camp attendance.
One entree item offered each day, depending on availability. Entrees include, but are not limited to:
- Hotdogs and Hamburgers
- Sloppy Joes
- Philly Subs
- Chicken Nuggets
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Cold Cut Sandwich
Each entree comes with a drink, chips, and salad bar. On Field Trip days, campers will receive a bagged lunch.
Additional items for daily purchase:
- Nachos with cheese
- Chicken Nuggets (6-count - $3, 12-count - $5)
- Ice Cream (available on Wednesdays, starting at $1)
A few things to know before registering:
- Make sure your email address is current as this is the main method of communication regarding field trips, camp payments, and general camp information.
- We recommend that you use a desktop for registration as the mobile/tablet version will not display correctly.
- Verify your customer type (after creating a profile and before registering) by calling us at (904) 620-2998.
Registration typically begins on the first Monday in March at 8 AM.
Camp Online Account
Families are encouraged to attend Camp Orientation. This orientation is great for new and returning families to get practical information from the Camp Director and to meet our camp counselors.
Still have questions? Call The Recreation and Wellness Office at (904) 620-2998.