UNF celebrates Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month in April
April 2, 2021
Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage Month is nationally observed in May to commemorate the immigration of Japanese people to the United States in May 1843 and the completion of the transcontinental railroad, where the majority of tracks were laid by Chinese immigrants, in May 1869.
Because the University is on intersession break in May, UNF recognizes AAPI Heritage Month during April to ensure the full benefit of programming is available to all students. The AAPI Heritage Month Committee, spearheaded by the Intercultural Center for Peace, created a calendar of free AAPI Heritage Month events. Many of the events are hosted by the UNF Asian Students in Alliance. Events include:
Let's Talk About It: #StopAAPIHate
- Noon to 1 p.m. Thursday, April 1 via Zoom
- Discuss recent acts of discrimination, harassment and violence against Asian American and Pacific Islander communities.
Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month Trivia
- Begins 1 p.m. Friday, April 2, via Instagram @UNFInterfaithCenter and @unfasia
- Challenge your knowledge of Asian-American and Pacific Islander traditions, religions, and cultures to win prizes.
Cherry Blossom Festival
- Begins 2 p.m. Monday, April 5 via Instagram @unfasia
- Celebrate the beginning of spring with UNF A.S.I.A. by learning and commemorating Japan’s Cherry Blossom Festival with trivia.
A Celebratory Tribute to the Philippines
- Begins 1 p.m. Tuesday, April 6 via Instagram @unf_icp
- Take a journey through Filipino culture and traditions through interactive activities.
Road to Asia
- 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, April 8 via Zoom
- UNF A.S.I.A.’s annual showcase of Asian cultures includes a fashion show, student performers and a headliner.
- Begins 2 p.m. Monday, April 12 via Instagram: @unfasia
- Celebrate Thailand’s New Year with UNF A.S.I.A.’s new Instagram challenge.
Asian Students of Influence
- 6 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 13 via Zoom
- The Intercultural Center for Peace and Women’s Center join forces with UNF A.S.I.A. for a special “Inroads to Influence” event featuring an all-student panel.
Boba Tea Crawl
- Noon to 7 p.m. Friday, April 16, and Saturday, April 17, at Local Boba Shops
- UNF A.S.I.A. and the Interfaith Center will host a boba tea crawl to explore different boba milk tea flavors in support of local Asian-owned businesses around southside Jacksonville such as Tsaocaa, Treata Tea Shoppe, Kung Fu Tea and Aroma Corner.
Learn more on the UNF AAPI Heritage Month website.