UNF celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month
September 15, 2021
UNF celebrates National Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 to October 15 each year. The significance of this date range relates to the independence observances of Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico, Chile and Belize.
Hispanic Heritage Month is sometimes referred to as Latinx Heritage month, to be inclusive of all identity groups and the experiences of indigenous and non-Spanish speaking people from Latin American countries. Celebrations hosted during this time focus on sharing the history, cultures and contributions of Hispanic people.
This year’s events include:
Hispanic Men of Influence Panel
- Noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 15, at the John A. Delaney Student Union, Building 58W, Room 3804, or via Zoom
- Hear from a panel of influential men of Northeast Florida. Hosted by the Intercultural Center and the Women's Center.
Latin American Student Union (LASO) General Body Meeting
- 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 16, at the John A. Delaney Student Union, Building 58W, Room 3806
- Join the Latin American Student Organization for their first general body meeting of the semester. Learn about the organization's upcoming events and stay for an activity.
UNF Men's Soccer Game vs. Central Arkansas
- 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 18, at Hodges Stadium
- The Office of Diversity and Inclusion will cheer on the UNF men's soccer team in a special Hispanic Heritage Month-focused night.
Parade of Nations & HIV Awareness
- Noon to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 28, at the John A. Delaney Student Union, Building 58W, Room 3804
- Hosted by the LGBTQ Center, this fun-filled afternoon includes tabling, HIV testing, lively discussions and a parade celebrating Hispanic/Latin cultures.
Café & Arte
- 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 30, at the John A. Delaney Student Union, Building 58W, Room 3806
- Celebrate the Hispanic and Latin performing arts community throughout a night of performances by UNF faculty and students. Hosted by LASO and the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures.
Inclusion Fuzion Trivia
- 6 to 7:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 4, via Instagram @ospreylife
- Put your Hispanic/Latin cultural knowledge to the test and win prizes with the Intercultural Center and Osprey Life & Productions.
LASO Café Takeover
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 7, at the Osprey Café
- Get ready to take your taste buds on a gastronomical trip as LASO takes over the Osprey Café menu with Latin inspired cuisine. As the Spanish saying goes: “barriga llena, corazón content,” (full belly, happy heart).
Hispanics in Uniform
- Noon to 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 12, at the Military and Veterans Resource Center, Founders Hall, Building 2, Suite 1100
- Explore the experiences of Hispanic men and women serving in the United States Armed Forces. Hosted by LASO and the Military and Veterans Resource Center.
- 6 to 8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 15, at Osprey Plaza, outside the John A. Delaney Student Union
- Close out Hispanic Heritage Month with LASO's signature event featuring musical acts and dance performances honoring Hispanic/Latin cultures.