Sole Source Purchase
Download Sole Source Form
Commodities or contractual services available from a single source shall be exempted from the competitive solicitation process. Sole source documents shall be publicly posted by Procurement Services for three working days. Working days do not include Saturdays, Sundays or University holidays.
Commodities and contractual services purchased for any amount exceeding $75,000, available only from a single source, may be exempted from the bid requirement when the University certifies and documents that there is only one source of supply capable of meeting the University's requirements. A purchase order may be issued for the non-competitive item(s) when the Sole Source Certification is approved by the Director of Purchasing and Vice President for Administration and Finance and after the posting requirement has been met.
Purchase orders issued using the Sole Source Certification may not be subsequently increased by change orders in amounts exceeding the bid limit without appropriate approval and signatures.
The Vice President for Administration and Finance approves an annual certification of non-competitive purchases based on the recommendation of the Director of Purchasing. These are commodities and/or services purchased on a regular basis that have proven to be non-competitive and available from a single source.
The following categories and conditions are included in the annual certification of purchases: Per UNF Regulation 13.0010R (6) (d)
||Repair or Replacement Parts: the acquisition of repair or replacement parts available from only a single source for existing equipment and systems when no other manufacturer's parts can be utilized.
||Copyrighted and Single Source Instructional Materials: the acquisition of copyrighted and single source instructional materials, tapes, publications, manuscripts, films and personal library collections.
||Live Animals and Animal Feed for Instruction/Research: the acquisition of live animals and animal feed for instructional and research efforts wherein the selection must be determined by the expert opinion of the buyer, in consideration of genetic background, quality, body weight and special diet conditions to attain the research or instructional objectives.
||Proprietary Accessories, Equipment and/or Supplies: the acquisition of proprietary accessories, equipment and/or supplies, including expendable items, from a single source for existing equipment and systems where no other manufacturer's product(s)can be used.
||Technical Instruments/Supplies and/or Services for Medical Instruction, Medical Research and Health Care: the acquisition of technical instruments and supplies and/or services for medical instruction, medical research and health care wherein the single source selection is determined by the "expert opinion of the user directly responsible for the establishment of the objective served by the acquisition." The file of each such purchase will be adequately documented to support the determination.
||Proprietary Services: the acquisition of proprietary services available from a single source for existing equipment and systems where no other manufacturer's services can be used, e.g., UNF owned, rented or leased equipment (copiers, computers, special office machines, etc.).
||Renovations, Maintenance, Repair for Leased Office or Lab Space: the acquisition of renovations, maintenance or repair services for leased office or laboratory space which is specifically provided for in the lease agreement and/or are required to be accomplished by the owner/landlord and subsequently reimbursed by the University.
||Computer Software/Licenses: the acquisition of computer software that is available from a single source or that is necessary to perform with existing software or hardware. This includes software licenses.
||Memberships: the acquisition of memberships that are essential to the duties and responsibilities of the University.
||Used Equipment and Supplies.
The following listed commodities and services are not subject to competitive solicitation:
- Artistic services;
- Academic reviews;
- Auditing services;
- Legal services, including attorney, paralegal, expert witness, appraisal, arbitrator or mediator services;
- Health services involving examination, diagnosis, treatment, prevention, medical consultation or administration. Prescriptive assisted devices for medical, developmental or vocational rehabilitation including, but not limited to prosthetics, orthotics, wheelchairs, and other related equipment and supplies, provided they are purchased on the basis of an established fee schedule or by a method that ensures the best price, taking into consideration the needs of the client;
- Services provided to persons with mental or physical disabilities by not-for-profit corporations organized under the provisions of s. 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or services governed by the provisions of the Office of Management and Budget Circular A-122;
- Medicaid services delivered to an eligible Medicaid recipient by a health care provider who has not previously applied for and received a Medicaid provider number from the Department of Children and Family Services. This exception will be valid for a period not to exceed 90 days after the date of delivery to the Medicaid recipient and shall not be renewed;
- Family placement services;
- Training and education services;
- Services or commodities provided by governmental agencies, another University in the State University System, direct support organizations of the university, political subdivisions or other independent colleges and universities;
- Programs, conferences, workshops, continuing education events or other university programs that are offered to the general public for which fees are collected to pay all expenses associated with the event or program;
- Purchases from firms or individuals that are prescribed by state or federal law, or specified by a granting agency;
- Regulated utilities and government franchised services;
- Regulated public communications, except long distance telecommunication services or facilities;
- Extension of an existing contract;
- Renewal of an existing contract if the terms of the contract specify renewal option(s);
- Purchases from an Annual Certification List developed by the University;
- Purchases for resale;
- Accounting Services;
- Contracts or services provided by not-for-profit support and affiliate organizations of the University, direct support organizations, health support organizations and faculty practice plans;
- Implementation/programming/training services available from owner of copyrighted software or its contracted vendor; and
- Purchases of materials, supplies, equipment, or services for instructional or sponsored research purposes when a director of sponsored research or designee certifies that, in a particular instance, it is necessary for the efficient or expeditious prosecution of a research project in accordance with sponsored research procedures or to attain the instructional objective.